Skip to main content

Just thought I'd come to the best group of people to ask this baseball question:

Has anyone had experience with making a trip out west to the 18U PG West  MLK Championship Tournament in Arizona?

https://www.perfectgame.org/ev...ult.aspx?event=39069

One of my son's former coaches reached out to see if my son would be interested in playing in this tournament scheduled for January 14-17.

My 2022, who is an IF/OF,  is already committed. The coach said that eight others have also committed. So I'm assuming the benefits would be the experience of playing somewhere new and getting some game action before high school season begins. The player fee is reasonable, but the airline ticket and hotel room would definitely add to the cost. I did ask about whether there would be enough pitching since January is usually a ramp-up period from my understanding. He said he has plenty of pitching. Roster size is fairly small, so I know several of the players must be two-way guys.

My son's comment to me was basically "It's just another tournament in January. What's the benefit? That money could go towards other baseball-related workouts."

I'm certainly okay with him making this decision.
But if there are reasons why you might encourage your son to accept this invitation, let me know.

Original Post

We had the same tournament in Texas last year, and again this year. My son's showcase team played in the tournament last year and it did not go over well with many of the local high school coaches since it is the weekend before practices start out here. I had a conversation with our showcase coach this past week and we are not playing in it this year. Said he also heard the grumblings from the high school coaches and didn't want to step on any toes again this year.  The AZ tournament tends to be bigger than the Texas tournament. So might be a better experience. But to me, this is just another PG tournament thrown in to an open period on the calendar for another chance to make some money.

Agree that it is tough for the pitchers. Many are in the ramp up period. Last year when they played in the tournament the pitchers were on a 35-40 pitch limit. So we were going through at least 3 pitchers a game.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.