Skip to main content

Long story short. My son has a nice swing fast bat. In practice and with his instructor everything is great. In games the wheels have been coming off.

One game after a bad at bat I told him there is no more tomorrow (being late in the seaso). Well I got the "look", I really ticked him off. The next two at bats were beautiful.

Last 2 games the attitude is gone. The wheels are off again. He's 13, and I'm out of idea's.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's a focusing problem. Too much thinking at the plate. Your son needs to focus on the act of hitting the ball (see the ball, good swing), not the result, which may or may not be a hit. If you haven't already read it, "The Mental Keys to Hitting" is a very good book that addresses this issue. I found that it worked wonders for my son.
"I told him there is no more tomorrow"

Never tell a kid this!

"He's only 13"

There are LOTS of tomorrows!

Try to have him visualize a particular good at bat while he is on deck and take that to the plate. Don't let him or yourself put too much stock on one at bat. People get paid millions of dollars to hit .300! If he is hitting the ball well in BP, his problem is mental. Make it fun!
Tr;

several months ago, I visited the MLB Urban Academy. After the daily "work outs", a young player Reggie Williams [no relation] and I stepped into the conference room.

Leon Murray [Eddie's older brother now a Compton PD], George Hinshaw and Kenny Landrouix were talking. I presented the question to Leon.

"How did you and your brothers practice"?

Leon said "we hit in the garage with bloom sticks
at bottle caps". After this practice "we never had a fear of any pitcher".

In Adrian, Michigan, as a young boy I also hit rocks and bottle caps during the winter.

Later facing Connie Johnson, Bob Gibson and Jack Sanford, I had "no fear" and no helmet and no metal bats. Maybe I was "stupid".

Bob Williams
quote:
Originally posted by Consultant:
Tr;

several months ago, I visited the MLB Urban Academy. After the daily "work outs", a young player Reggie Williams [no relation] and I stepped into the conference room.

Leon Murray [Eddie's older brother now a Compton PD], George Hinshaw and Kenny Landrouix were talking. I presented the question to Leon.

"How did you and your brothers practice"?

Leon said "we hit in the garage with bloom sticks
at bottle caps". After this practice "we never had a fear of any pitcher".

In Adrian, Michigan, as a young boy I also hit rocks and bottle caps during the winter.

Later facing Connie Johnson, Bob Gibson and Jack Sanford, I had "no fear" and no helmet and no metal bats. Maybe I was "stupid".

Bob Williams

Bob Gibson.....no helmet....you be the judge on that one!
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
I truly believe that a hitter is a hitter---he does not need to read books and hear theories---it is a God Given talent

So there is no need for coaching, soft toss, BP? You either got it or you don't?? You never helped your sons become better hitters??

I have seen some natural hitters, but they still worked on honing their skill either by getting instruction whether verbal or written.
Last edited by FrankF

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.