Skip to main content

Could someone explain to me the process/ rules of If I were to play for a D2, D3 or D4 school my first year or two of college and then transfer and play at a D1 school. I know coming out of a Junior College you can play right away, but for D2's and D3's do you have to wait a whole year? Also do D1 schools even look for recruits from D2's or D3's? Just want to know the whole scoop.

Thanks. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You have to sit out a year to move up. If a coach thinks you can help his team he will be interested. But he will have two years to recruit an equivilant or better player than you. If you think you're going to move up, it better be because you've become a dominant, got to have player.

JY, as it relates to D3 to D1, the odds are  stacked against the player for such a transfer, even though there is D1 talent at the D3 level.

Taking Rick's information, it is not likely, but is possible a D3 player with D1 talent could be classified as not recruited at the D3, by NCAA standards.

Assuming the D3 was a recruited athlete, here are the challenges to transferring:

1.) they need to follow the one year sit rule;

2.) they are not allowed to be offered or accept any athletic money during that one year;

3.) they probably lose significant units/credits which won't transfer, meaning they will be looking at, at least, a 5th year of college and tuition;

4.) the player risks everything and the college/coach risks not much of anything with such a transfer.

Before the one year sit rule, there was movement from D3 to D1 despite numbers 2-4. When we add the one year sit rule, the amount of movement has dwindled so it happens very, very seldom.

Last edited by infielddad

Whether the year in residence would also result in losing a year of eligibility will depend upon the circumstances of the situation.  If the athlete has not already used their "redshirt" year, they could redshirt during their year in residence and not lose any playing eligibility.

If they already have used a redshirt year, then they will, in effect, be loosing a year of eligibility, because their "clock" will keep ticking away during that year they are sitting out.  Furthermore, some conferences have rules that cause the year in residence to also count as a year of eligibility used, even if the athlete had a year available to redshirt.

Last edited by Rick at Informed Athlete

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.