Skip to main content

1) For almost two years I have been with an organization that is liken to part recreational & travel team. Travel because we compete in tournaments and recreational because they take anyone who wants to play. It served us well when we needed this team. I made the mistake of signing up for one more season when my son was begging for a higher level team and now getting him to remain committed is like a frayed shoestring ready to snap. Last night my son confided that his love & passion for baseball is being tested by being on this team. There is only two boys at his level of playing on this team, and because most of the boys are not athletic enough my boy plays every position and is the MVP of this team. He doesn't care about being a MVP player because he feels anxious that on a very good team he doesn't rate even in the middle. . .and he is going into high school next year. He has mentally and emotionally & skillfully outgrown this team--however,

. . .how best do I support him? Does he suffer my bad decision of signing him up this spring?

Thank you Obi-wan-kanobi's, you serve baseball well!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is he worried about winning these games? It is about coaching, playing and the competition he's up against not that he's playing with.

If he's getting decent coaching, cuts off the right level of competition and developing himself at the right position for high school it doesn't matter one bit if they ever win a game. No one remembers who won these tournaments two weeks after they are played or even what they were called.
quote:
Originally posted by lorin rozatti:
No, it's not about winning, we have had some good runs. It's more of being consistently competitive. There are only 3 good hitters or skilled players. I am sure with time the rest of the team will get better but presently, the three boys mostly carry the team.

I would put coaching as your number one priority at this point. Is he getting good quality coaching and learning the game? The second is the level of competition he is facing. Its all about player development at this point. Getting on a more competitive team that has mediocre coaches that have lucked into talent will not help your son. Hope this helps.
quote:
1) ... I made the mistake of signing up for one more season when my son was begging for a higher level team and now getting him to remain committed is like a frayed shoestring ready to snap. Last night my son confided that his love & passion for baseball is being tested by being on this team.

When is the start/finish of this season? Does he play other competitive summer ball? What are/were the other options? What does "singing up" consist of in this case?
hello Cabbagedad: The spring Pony season started mid March will end mid June. I am looking for a travel team for the summer & will surely place him somewhere when & if I leave. He will also be playing with a 14u team going to Arizona to compete with USSSA/Olympic competition in July. Another option is to join a baseball training facility that does showcase competition as they are forming a 14u team, I just am not sure that is affordable for me.
quote:
hello Cabbagedad: The spring Pony season started mid March will end mid June. I am looking for a travel team for the summer & will surely place him somewhere when & if I leave. He will also be playing with a 14u team going to Arizona to compete with USSSA/Olympic competition in July. Another option is to join a baseball training facility that does showcase competition as they are forming a 14u team, I just am not sure that is affordable for me.

Where are you located? Are you in Orange County? If so I know of several TB teams in the area including my sons team which is a 14U.
quote:

OK, perfect. I was hoping that was the case. Cabbage (now a senior) played Pony thru 15. He actually played varsity HS ball as a freshman before playing his last Pony season. He also played travel summer ball since he was 11. So, similarly, he found himself in a situation with Pony where he was dissappointed with the overall skill level and he struggled with this for a while. At one point, he came to realize that his last two Pony seasons would be the last time he could play organized ball with the emphasis heavy on "have fun and play different positions". Once he recognized this, he was able to embrace it and have a lot of fun with it. If you can find a way to communicate this type of message, maybe it will help.

It truly does become more like work (practice, work out or play every day for six months of the year) and more of a labor of love once he hits HS. And he most likely won't have the opportunity to play multiple positions. So, this may be his last opportunity to sort of be the king of the hill and enjoy the "rec" aspect of rec ball. I know if my son were to look back and try to identify what season he had the most playful fun, he probably would think of that last Pony season. I'm guessing your son will have more than his share of opportunity for competitive fun in the game down the road.

I know it's hard to convey a message like this without them experiencing it for themselves, but I hope this helps.
Last edited by cabbagedad
Cabbagedad, great advise! I am actually going to watch my son play in his Pony league today. It is just as you describe, the last year he is eligible and he is enjoying "playing for fun".

Lorin Rozatti - there are some great TB teams in your area. I would do some research before making a decision. Talk to the parents of current and former players before signing up. They will tell you give you the best insight to the team/organization.

Also - read this! Great advise on Travel Ball teams and how to find the right one.

How do you find a 'good' travel/elite/showcase team?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.