Skip to main content

Thanks so much for the pregame/practice d routines. I am definately going to adapt some stuff we do to them. I was curious though to what some of you coaches do in the first week or so of practices. I'm talking more about to what you do concerning the heirachy or priority of things from greatest to least. I'm just comparing ideas and critiquing my manual and philosphy.
Trying to get better everyday.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is one of ours. I've tried to line it up so it makes sense, won't work. Freshman start in cages doing soft toss and front toss, jv/var doing hit n run drill, then all together). Used excel. In the Hit n run drill to start, we have no defense, runners at every base + hitters. Hitter on hit n run, R1 straight steal, r2 ground ball rules, r3 contact play/GB rules. We record times of hitters home to 1st and post, kids can see times and who's not hustling every time (can't run 4.1 and 4.7!)

"Team" BASEBALL January 31st 2011
PRACTICE SCHEDULE

5:15 Var/Jv field coach-p Freshman Cages coach/coach
:20 batter-Hit n run coach-1b record time soft toss
:25 1b - Hit n run coach- 1b/2b runners front toss
:30 2b GB rules 3b contact play
:35 Throw w position 2min at 25 on knee 2min at 45, 2 min at 90, 2 min at 120 2min at 65
:40
:45 Defensive Individual Inf coach/coach OF coach/coach coach-Pen with pitchers
:50 Short Hops, moving, station, glove, back hand
:55 footwork balls, running v cut balls.
6:00 CUT OFFS WITH OUTFIELD
:05 CUT OFFS WITH OUTFIELD
:10 BREAK BREAK BREAK BREAK
:15 TCU DRILL SERIES TCU DRILL SERIES TCU DRILL SERIES
:20 1. 2-5 pk, 3-1 flp, 6-4 DP,OF GB non throw 6. P/MI Picks, 3B GB 6-hole, C-PB/WP 8. 3-6-3/1 DP
:25 2. 5-4 DP, C-blk, 1-3 Bnt, OF GB throw 4. 1-5 Bt, 4-6 DP, OF Spin Mv 1B GB dn line, OF balls to fence 2-5 Bunt
:30 3. C-fly balls, 1-6-3 DP, OF FB Thr 1B balls to gap, C-comm. To P 7. Picks (3 P), c-signs,OF overhead OF balls of fence
:35 3B-slo roll/BH no throw 5. P/c sqz, 4-3 dirt, 5-6 FB OF Dive
:40 WATER WATER WATER WATER
:45 CONTROLLED SCRIMMAGE-Field to hit, hit to dugout, dugout to field
:50 Var. field JV Hit 9th Dugout
:55 Play as live, coach pitch
7:00 coach explain offense app coach Outfield Play coach 1B coach
:05 coach Infield Play coach 3B coach
:10
:15 E O W O E O W O
Last edited by turnin2
This may just be my coaching style, but I prefer to keep first week practices as simple as possible. I expect players come into practices with a certain level of physical conditioning and they know that and respect that (usually). I usually begin the first few days with some light workouts in addition to focusing on the fundamentals of the game. I also make it my priority to focus on making the freshman feel is comfortable in the new scenery as possible...after all they are the future of the team. I do try and take it easy the first week, but after that the players should be ready to go 100% no questions asked.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.