Skip to main content

I have noticed there was a thread asking about where i was at. So i will take some Questions if ya'll have any. BUT right now i will update you on a few things that are going on. As for the basics, im in Extended Spring Training at the moment in AZ. Its basically just as the name sounds, and extended version of spring training. We still play games everyday just they dont count. I'm down here and i will either be assigned out of here to go to a full season club or i will be going to our Short-Season club in June with hopes of being promoted higher by the end of the season. Right now my days basically consist of getting up at about 6 and getting to the field at about 620. I eat breakfast then go stretch at about 715-730 then star workouts. Which consist of throwing for 10 minutes then moving on to PFP and then shagging in BP. If you throw a side(bullpen) that day you will do that during BP. After BP we have conditioning then take it in and workout and eat a quick brunch before the game at 1030. If you are pitching in the game, pretty much just cross out everything before brunch and then go pitch, thats your day. After you finish pitching in the game you will do rotator cuff exercises and then condition. After that you take it to the house. So our days here are generally over by about 130-2. After baseball we usually go back the house and take a 3-4 hour nap and eat dinner. If its a friday or saturday we might go out to eat, other than that, not much entertainment really.And thats about it,if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Shane,

It's great to hear from you, I've been wondering where you are also. Thanks for sharing some details of a typical day. Speaking of days ... Happy Birthday coming up this week!

birthday

I also have a question: What is your pitching schedule in extended spring training? Do you know far in advance which games you will pitch - is the rotation fairly predictable?
Penja: it varies from player to player, really most of us already have pretty good mechanics and throw reasonably hard. As far as what you said by getting your body through faster, yes it helps if you can get it through faster, but you dont want to go too fast or else your arm will drag and you'll throw slower.

MNMom: thanks for the Happy B-day! As far as the rotation in extended, its not as set as a normal rotation is since there are 6-7 guys that are starters down here plus guys on Rehab. So we basically just get innings here and there. We dont throw too many innings here, just enough to get ready for a short-season club, or to where if we get promoted we can pitch.

Shep- All of our Affiliates are in the Midwest or west coast. so none in florida, i WISH ha. then i would be closer to home.
Shane,

Maybe we will see you in the Midwest League this year or next. Truth is I hope you get to skip the Midwest League. You'll know what I mean when you get to Clinton!

Good news is you'll end up in the park right across the street from our headquarters in Cedar Rapids at some point. It's a great new stadium and the Midwest League has many great parks. Clinton has spent a bunch of money renovating things, but it's still one of the worst. If you do end up in Cedar Rapids, please stop in and say hi! We are pulling for you! Good luck!
Shane,

Your right, of course. Had very good conversation with one of your front office personnel about this very thing. The Rangers need to have an East Coast affiliate, IMHO. When I scouted for Rangers as associate, overheard several conversations relevant to this topic. Maybe you guys will get one in the next few seasons, that would be great and bet you would like that idea. peace, Shep
quote:
Good news is you'll end up in the park right across the street from our headquarters in Cedar Rapids at some point. It's a great new stadium and the Midwest League has many great parks. Clinton has spent a bunch of money renovating things, but it's still one of the worst. If you do end up in Cedar Rapids, please stop in and say hi! We are pulling for you! Good luck!

Yeah, We need to get you back to rooming with Johnny again Smile I have been listening to the lumberkings a bit and some added punch in pitching would be great for them.
penja,

Is Johnny Whittleman your son or relative?

I don't think Johnny ever went to our stuff, but that Clinton team is full of players who did. Jacob Rasner, Billy Killian, Joey Hooft, Freddie Thon, Truan Mehl, KC Herren, John Mayberry and maybe a couple more. I'll be sure to watch them and Johnny if we're in town when they are.

If you ever happen to get here, we're right across the street from the ballpark in Cedar Rapids.
Shane, if you do go to short season in Spokane, you will meet a very good Coach and Ex Major Leaguer by the name of Jim Nettles. Brother to Craig Nettles former 3rd baseman for the Yankee's.

Jim is an excellent source of information, and great coaching ability.

Jim Nettles was my Son's First Hitting Instructor.
He was part owner of a baseball clinic in the NW.
If you have info on were I could get ahold of Jim could you pass it on.
I would like to let him Know the progress of my son. Thank's the EH
"Is Johnny Whittleman your son or relative?" No Sir. Smile Johnny played with my lil brother on the state champ team. Great kid! He has a beautiful swing and is a great motivator in the club house.

I do not remember what his summer stuff was but he excelled in area code 04. Don't hold me to it but he may have been on that wood bat team that won the year before.
Last edited by penja
PG- ya i've heard about the JOYS of clinton already lol. But if i come through Cedar Rapids i'll be sure to stop in. Also be on the look out for my brother this summer, i know hes going to at least one of your events, i think its the sunshine east showcase, and hes hoping to make the National Showcase. Hes taller than me now.

Shep- ya we had a couple on the east coast a few back, i think in Charlotte and one in the FSL. But everything changed a few years back.

Penja- ya i liked rooming with him, hes a good guy. I SHOULD at be able to make it to clinton by the end of the year, but im not getting my hopes up, i cant control where they send me, but as for now my eyes are set on Spokane. Really i just wanna play ball and wherever i end up i'll end up. Just as long as im playing somewhere.

EH- ya, Nettles was our hitting coach in the AZL last year, hes actually down in Extended Spring Training with me right now. I'll see if i can get his # for ya, if not you could always send a letter to the field here and he would get that.

oh ya and as far as Whit's baseball stuff, he was big into Area Codes and he played football so he didnt do as much baseball stuff. He said he wasnt really on the radar too much until his senior year.....Anymore questions?
Hey Shane, long time no talk eh. What kind of condtioning do they put you through? There is so many discussions on what is right to do, I want to see what the Texas Rangers do. Also, are you told what to do through practice, like in High School? Or is it more like you go in and get your stuff done? Later man and stick with it.
AK- As far as conditioning, we generally do a LOT of sprint work, then long distance once or twice a week. As far as practice is concerned. We have a basic routine that we do, We stretch seperately every morning pitchers usually stretch 15 minutes before position players. Then we'll go and Toss for 10 minutes. After that we'll throw a side ( bullpen if we have it) the do some sort of PFP or Drill. Then we move on to BP. During PFP and BP is the only real time where the coaches put us through anything, otherwise throwing and lifting is on your own. Conditioning is handled by the trainers. Hope that answers your question!
Hey Shane,

I am curious if there is alot of pitchers using 3 pitches with good control or does it seem they have good control of 2 at this point ?Besides the fastball, what other pitches are the most popular? I heard the curve is good way to get hammered due to the cream of the crop hitters there.
Last edited by penja
In the lower minor leagues, especially extended spring training where im at, you wont see too many guys with control over very many pitches. Your better pitchers will have control over 2 pitches generally, if you have 3 you wont be in the low minors long you'll get moved up quickly. But most guys here will have just really good tools, like most of the pithcers will be throwing really hard but have no control, or they will have a good secondary pitch but a below average fastball. As far as what pitches are popular, a lot of guys are fastball and curveball or fastball slider guys. Then basically everyone is trying to throw a curve. As far as getting hammered, dont give hitters too much credit, you can have any pitches as long as you locate them well. Especially down here with the hitters so aggressive, if you throw stuff down in the zone you'll get outs.
Penja- as far as guys called up to the big leagues, none that i know really, but we've had a number of guys from extended get called up to Low A and High A.

Dad04- Ya we've seen a lot of releases, not too many people that im that close with, but we got rid of a lot of 23-24 year olds this year along with a few dominicans, we're gonna have some m ore releases coming up shortly with the draft almost here. But we had a LOT of people released in spring training since we signed a LOT more players than we thought we would last year.

Tiger- yes you SEE changeups, but as i said above most people are learning to throw them now so not as many people are relying on them, im trying to rely on mine more, i try to throw at least 15% changeups a game in order to work on it.
on our team we have one guy with a Split, hes Japanese, but he barely throws it. Most guys start throwing the split later in there careers around 23-24. Mainly because guys usually dont start throwing their hardest until 21-22 when your fully mature. Only then do you wanna start messing around with it so you wont hurt your arm. Thats just what i've heard as far as why you dont see as many splits with the younger guys.
Shane,

BTW thank you for this opportunity about learning about your baseball life. Watching another Senior season year end for some here in Houston, I have heard scouts jumping on specific guys right after their HS seasons had ended. I also seen guys that are just consistently being watch throughout the season that are not getting as much play as the other guy. When you were asked to come to tryout again in front of the rangers,etc.., was it right after your high school season ended or did you know about your tryouts even before then?

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by penja
i only attended one pre-draft workout and that was with the braves. Most of the scouts came to my high school games and practices and had seen me from showcases previously in the year or the year before. Actually the rangers didnt even send a scout to see me my whole high school season, they drafted me mainly on my draft video the Major League Scouting Bureau put out. Some guys i know went to like 5-6 workouts for teams after the high school season. Now i went to less probably because i went to play in our All-State game and most of the teams got a last shot to see me there.
Wow, It truly goes to show you that you really don't know who is watching. Some very good information Shane. What a great lesson to always work hard and show great sportsmanship on and off the field. There were a a few kids down here in Houston, that really threw the ball well but would toss a helmet in the dug out or have a few heated words with the umpire. I hope some future 07,08,09 read this link.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.