Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I haven't heard any such rumors, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. However, I don't believe MLB has any authority to stiffen slot rules under the current CBA (which expires at the end of 2011). MLB may try to do something along these lines, but I think Mr. Boras and others would probably quickly put that to rest via methods up to and including lawsuits. There may be some changes negotiated into the next CBA, but that wouldn't be put into place until the 2012 draft.
Emanski is correct. If the Commish tried to change the draft rules, the MLBPA would file an unfair labor practices complaint with the NLRB and get it enjoined. The current players are not necessarily willing to bleed for the guys who would take their jobs, but they don't want management to start thinking it can make changes to anything in the CBA without the union's participation.

There may also eventually be some realization that, the more expensive prospects get, the more established players can command, due to the effect of comparing one to the other. If the union were smart, it would oppose the slot system. But what I read is that they would likely give away this particular chip as part of a negotiation over more hot-button issues.

Look for serious changes, but not until 2012.
Keep in mind that from everything I've read, the portions of the CBA pertaining to the draft are really not a priority. The negotiations on the CBA as a whole often go down to the wire, and the two sides often never really get to draft issues. However, there has been somewhat of a swell of interest in draft related issues. I'd guess major changes are possible, but not necessarily probable, and the status quo is also a strong possibility.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.