Skip to main content

My son has entered into his senior year in hgh scl. He has lettered all 3 years. This summer, in the last game he pitched, we believe he has torn his ligament in his elbow. We will find out for sure next Wed. Surgery would be performed by Dr. Champ Baker @ Hughston Clinic in Columbus, GA. During the summer my son was 86-92 consistently and topped out @ 94. We had a lot of colleges looking at him but now they have sort of backed off until they know for sure what the diagnosis is. I feel like it will be the Tommy John surgery. Are there any words of advice to give him. He just wants someone to give him a chance now that everybody seen=ms to be backing off. Does he need to consider walking on somewhere (which one college has said he might have to do). Any words of advice would be appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

dawgduck,
First off welcome to the HSBBWeb. Sorry to hear about your son's tough luck. All I can tell you is that there certainly are coaches out there who will take that chance, even knowing that he likely won't play at all next year, and especially with an arm like that! My advice is to stay connected with the schools that have showed interest, and keep them appraised of his progress. Somebody's gonna want him in their program when he's healthy again.
If he gets surgery now he will obviously miss his entire senior year. However, he should be pretty close to being at 100 percent for the begining of his freshman year of college. If no D1s show interest, dont be afraid to go to a JC for a year or two. If your son is throwing 90+ at a JC he will have D1's interested in him.
Coaches will not be afraid to recruit you if they are willing to continue rehab. Some coaches are better at it and more patient than others and others are better in working with rehabbing pitchers. This is important to discuss in the recruiting process and you should find out exactly how they go about achieving good results. Having surgery may be the cure, proper rehabbing and expectations determines your future.
JMO.
Update, our surgery will be this Friday Sep. 7th, Dr. Andrews will be performing the surgery. We were very excited to get in with Dr. Andrews. As far as the recruiting it has slowed down considerably, but it sounds that way for everybody. We have had a very good Juco school call and they told my son that they wanted him to visit after his surgery and be prepared when he got there because they were going to make an offer to him. This is good news to him and to us. The main thing that I have learned in all of this, is that the Lord has a plan, it might not be exactly the way we had it planned but we know he has a plan. Thanks for all the advice and the PM that I have received. I will keep everybody updated, so maybe we can help the next person. Thanks again!
Firs, I want to thank everybody for all the PM's and responses to the TM John surgery and the recovery process. The surgery went well Friday, and we are now on our road to recovery. We had the procedure done w/Dr. Andrews @ his new facility in Gulf Breeze, FL (Pensacola). I can't say enough nice stuff about Dr. Andrews and his entire staff, I've never seen any thing like it. Dr. Andrews actually called us back to the observatory to watch part of the surgery (not my cup of tea) my wife could have watched the whole surgery. My son is some pain but the medication is helping, the nurse said to always stay ahead of the pain because if the pain gets ahead of the medication you are in trouble. We start our rehab. next Wed. When i asked Dr. Andrews if he would be able to hit he said sure, he could start swinging a bat in 6 weeks and he could possibly be playing 3rd or 1st base in another 4-5 months. I thought that was incredible. Thanks to everyone for their concern and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks again!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.