Skip to main content

We are thrilled! My '07 finally got a really (we think) REAL letter from a D1 school saying they are very interested in following his progress, heard good things about him, etc. My other postings have stated worries about whether my son was still interested in baseball, his discouragement and worry..so this letter came at the perfect time. He's reborn! But I went to the school's baseball website and noticed that almost all of the freshman pitchers are redshirted! (My son is a RHP) Any idea what this means?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Basically it means that your son gets to workout with the team, but not play in any games.

Unless the freshman is good enough to get significant playing time as a freshman, this can be looked at as a good thing (in my opinion).
He can practice, get better, get to know the team and the coaches, get to make the adjustment to college without wasting a year of elegibility sitting on the bench watching other guys play. After his red shirt year he still ahs 4 years of eligibility left!
Roundingthird,

While I agree with your post, it seems that graduating in 5 years is quite common these days. Even for non athletes.

Like I told my sons, you have 40+ years to work after you graduate, what's the rush!

Here is a question I have, Do you have to be an undergraduate to play?

Do to AP credits my youngest can probably graduate in 3 (if he pushes a little)to 3 1/2 years. Can he still play as a graduate student?
Last edited by BigWI
You are correct BigWI, 20 years ago graduating in four years was the expectation while now it seems that many students take five. A starin on the finances of most considering the skyrocketing cost of college.

I don't know the status for eligibility concerning undergraduate or graduate. I know that the USC quarterback was taking only 1 class this fall, ballroom dancing, because he had already met all of his graduation requirements.
BigWI,

Yes, I believe it is entirely possible to play while in graduate school as long as you still have eligibility remaining.

I don't know this to be true for a fact, but I heard somewhere that the Stanford coach strongly encourages his players to take a stronger academic load so that they will be very close to graduating at the end of the Junior Year. That way if they are drafted highly as a Junior, the effort to finish the degree is not that large. I always thought that for someone who might have a shot at being drafted after the Junior year, that would be an excellent approach to take with respect to academics and class loads.
I also believe that you can play while in grad school provided that you have eligibilty left.

I am not sure about the USC QB taking one course as an Undergraduate in the fall--it is my understanding that you need to take the minium 12 credits--but then football may have different rules than baseball
Last edited by TRhit

Asked this exact question about graduate school during our olders recruiting process...with his AP's he is way ahead of his class and will also take more units than minimum....we were told that this was fine that he could do a BS 31/2 or 4 years....and are planing to make this stick...would check with the specific school, but we are planning on this for our '05....
Cool
You can play as a graduate student as long as you have eligibilty remaining.

Roundingoutthird,
I am in agreement with you regarding 5th year. Very few schools carry 5th year seniors in any sport. The coach is not giving all those redhsirts out because he is going to keep those students around for 5 years. Chances are he is way off his 11.7. and doing the right thing of keeping the player there instead of letting him go. There is just not enough money to go around or scholarships. One of the pitfalls of college baseball. I don't mean to be negative, but one should not think that redshirting is being used to keep a player at school for a full 5 years. Not in any sport. If you are given a redshirt year, chances are you still will be expected to graduate in 4 years, same as anyone else, or be drafted.

Football is a whole different animal. Can't even compare football eligibility to baseball eligibility. The player is kept because he will make a significant impact to the program and that translates into big big dollars.

Montanadad,
Stanford is not the only school that does that. If a coach only expects a player to be there for 3 years, they load up on credits, and sometimes you have no choice but to take them. Bottom line is they want to move you out and not have you hang around forever.
Last edited by TPM
TR,
I definetly did not say that schools did not have 5 year players. I am sorry if you misunderstood me.
One, two? I am not talkng about 4 year seniors, but 5th year seniors. What's the average on a roster, anyone know? I'd say top schools have max 2.
If one looks at at a roster and sees 5-6 redshirted freshman players, do not expect in 5 years to see those 5-6 as 5th year seniors.

Considering the original poster is not familiar with redshirting, it would be wise for him to do some research as to exactly what is implied.

JMO
Yes, other than the rare 6th year that Dad mentioned, you have five years to get in your four years of eligiblity. This year my nephew will complete his 5 year career at Illinois as a graduate student. And it has been quite an adventure for him, including a transfer, Tommy John surgery and rehab, a couple of years of rarely getting to pitch and finally becoming a weekend, conference starter midway through his 4th year. What a rollercoaster ride. Oh, he also fit in an internship in the front office of a minor league team.
Last edited by CentralIL
Matt Leinert did only take 1 class in what was his 5th year. The NCAA only required 12 credits/semester for athletes during their 1st 4 years. In their 5th year, they only need to be registered with the school and take at least 1 class (at least in football). I'd have to assume baseball has the same requirements??
My son is a freshman redshirt (medical) pitcher this year and he's talking about either taking grad classes or taking additonal undergrad classes to get a double major during his 5th year. The school is giving him pretty good money, along with academic $$, so i have no problem shelling out the difference for his 5th year. As someone said, they'll be working the rest of their life, they might as well enjoy college for 1 more year.
Once your eligibility is used up you either have to stop playing or transfer to another institution that is not governed by the NCAA.

Son's roomate has two years of redshirt. There are circumstances where it is allowed. I do believe you can be granted a regular redshirt and a medical, as long as one has not played. I do believe that in certain circumstances 2 medical redshirts can be granted.
This is not normal.

Straying from the topic. I am happy to hear that Newcomers son has a renewed interest in playing college baseball!

Newcomer,
It is important that you understand the process and have all the facts on redshirted players. It is not always given for player development. One has to do their homework, watch fall and spring rosters. I see no problem with a player sitting out a year, because he truely needs to develop (I see this alot in pitchers), not because the coach asked too many to attend.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.