Skip to main content

A summary of this year's annual game, which we only do once a year as it takes 365 days to heal properly:

1. Found out 4 hours before game time I'd be a player-manager.

2. (1) meant I could regulate my own playing time. Cool. At 53, you don't ever truly get "loose". There's more painful and less painful, but no "loose".

3. On the plus side, I pitched an inning with no major injury, no more than moderate laughter, and I hit the "kid" that took me yard last year. Yes, on purpose. (The "kid" plays college ball)

4.On the plus side, when I pitched my one inning, my college frosh son played shortstop. Way cool to be on the field playing with a son.

5. On the negative side, I experienced something likely NEVER experienced before in baseball: they intentionally walked an eighty year old to get to me. (okay, so they actually pitched around him, same difference)

6. I repaid the gesture by driving in two runs- the third baseman was too old to bend down to field my "hot shot" to third...okay, maybe it was a routine grounder, but he didn't touch it, which means 2 rbi's to me.

7. Never bat yourself in the lineup behind an 80 year old. He's gets all of the crowd affection, you look young by comparison, and pitchers hate to throw easy to two guys in a row.

8. Sunday morning pre-church meal was Cheerios and Advil.

9. The unsympathetic wife hooted when I iced my arm after the game. Hey, next May will be here before we know it....

H-1
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hokie, I feel your pain.....weekly. Monday nights I play in an over 40 league where we get upset when the other team has a majority of 40-45 year olds. Our adjustment this year was to sign up a couple of volunteer paramedics who bring the "bus" to the games. Next year were expanding our free agent search to include a med-flight pilot.
Having played fast pitch softball this past weekend, at age 54, and any sort of ball/bat sport for the first time in a decade, I also (continue, even now) to feel your pain.

I am only slightly encouraged by the fact that I am still better than at least half the other guys.
(Yeah sure, some were Belgian, but some were Japanese.)

HaverDad/Brussels
Last edited by HaverDad
That was hilarious hokieone.

While watching my 13 year old daughter play in a softball tournament this weekend I would play catch alongside the field with my 11 year old daughter. I throw as hard as I can to her and throw towering pop-ups also.

I'm happy to report that I can still bring it...and by it I mean my wallet...to the ER. Our deductible for each ER visit is $350! I know when to ease up...can't afford not to!

And MN-Mom...if your stomach is still hurting try a slug of this...

Last edited by gotwood4sale
You're right Krak.

I was so excited when I signed up for the class last year...so excited until I learned it was "Paint By Numbers"...well you know what that means...you need to learn how to count...yikes!

To give you an example of how far I've come over the last year here is an attempt by me to "Paint By Numbers" the same elderly gentleman reaching for his Pepto-Bismol...remember...this was after I had just signed up a year ago. Ready...1...2...3 (showing off my numerical prowess there...sorry)...

I've tightened it up a bit over the past year don't you think Krak? Norman would be proud!
Last edited by gotwood4sale

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.