Skip to main content

Does anyone know where to access the guidelines for combining athletic money and academic money within the NCAA rules.  I have found conflicting statements from various sources but cannot find the specific rules on the NCAA site.

Some sites state that you need one of the following where others word it to sound like you need all three.  I would like to see how it is written by the NCAA.

105 ACT sum score/1,200 SAT score

3.5 GPA

Top 10 percent of graduating class

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks guys, found it.  To save anyone who reads this thread from opening the .pdf:

15.5.3.2.4.1 Academic Honor Awards—Based on High School Record.

Academic honor awards that are part of an institution’s normal arrangements for academic scholarships, based solely on the recipient’s high school record and awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by institutions, are exempt from an institution’s equivalency computation, provided the recipient was ranked in the upper 10 percent of the high school graduating class or achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.500 (based on a maximum of 4.000) or a minimum ACT sum score of 105 or a minimum SAT score of 1200 (critical reading and math) for SAT tests taken before March 1, 2016; or a minimum SAT score of 1270 (critical reading and math) for tests taken on or after March 1, 2016, based on the concordance determined by the College Board.

K9 posted:

Can the institution impose higher thresholds than the NCAA?  I seem to remember my son's soon to be HC citing a much higher SAT score.

These are minimum requirements for combining academic money without it counting towards the 11.7 total scholarships for a D1 program.  The academic money has to be based on the norm for the institution which, depending on the school, could be much higher than this baseline.  

So, follow up question. The academic aid for an entering freshman is (minimum requirement/school specific as stated above). What is second/third/fourth year based on?

Not looking for a specific answer, just pointing out the parents financial risk of losing the academic aid going forward. 

A friend’s son met entry requirements to an unnamed (pig sooeey) out of state university freshman year. The majority of the out of state fee was waiver based on ACT/SAT/HS grades. Sophomore year, dad got an extra $14k bill b/c son didn’t hit the minimum grade requirements his frosh year. 

Specifics obscured a bit above, but generally true story. 

Go44dad posted:

So, follow up question. The academic aid for an entering freshman is (minimum requirement/school specific as stated above). What is second/third/fourth year based on?

Not looking for a specific answer, just pointing out the parents financial risk of losing the academic aid going forward. 

A friend’s son met entry requirements to an unnamed (pig sooeey) out of state university freshman year. The majority of the out of state fee was waiver based on ACT/SAT/HS grades. Sophomore year, dad got an extra $14k bill b/c son didn’t hit the minimum grade requirements his frosh year. 

I am sure it varies by school and the specific academic award but the pig school I know of that offers a big discount off out of state fees requires the following to renew that generous discount every year:

Students must complete 24 or more hours per academic year and maintain a 2.75 or higher cumulative GPA to renew

Keep in mind that the NCAA's GPA minimum (3.5) for this purpose is almost certainly not calculated the same way as the GPA on your kid's transcript.  It includes only NCAA-defined core classes, and my recollection (which could be wrong--I went through this with a 2018 swimmer, so it has been a couple of years) is that there is no weighting for honors/AP, etc.  The 105 total ACT, however, can be attained by superscoring more than one test date.  Once you satisfy the NCAA's standard for incoming freshmen, whether you keep the academic money for subsequent years depends entirely upon the school's standard.  As long as you do, though, it can continue to not be counted against the team's total.

Son went to a high academic school that did award academic scholarships....but they were very hard to get when ALL the students were high academic achievers.  Son was awarded another type of school "discount", probably based on need since we had two in college.    However, later when the athletic scholarship was applied in the summer....the other award disappeared.  I was hoping for the double dip cone.

My experience with this 10 years ago was that one local private D1 school allowed stacking (up to 33% of tuition) and the other D1 HA (state) school did not at that time.   Both required ED applications for academic scholarships and awards just as you would with an athletic scholarship.   So, as others have stated the NCAA is the baseline standard.   The individual schools can have policies above and beyond that baseline.   Some schools allow it and some don't.   If a school is seriously recruiting your son, you need to take this question to the FA office for clarfication.  This was how we got our question answered.

Go44dad posted:

According to my son's school he needs to maintain a 2.5GPA to keep his merit. But, NCAA rules say (a little further down in the below quoted section) 3.0 to renew and stack...So something to keep in mind. My son is getting significantly more in merit than in baseball. He knows if he loses his merit, some tough choices will have to be made.

Last edited by nycdad
nycdad posted:
Go44dad posted:

According to my son's school he needs to maintain a 2.5GPA to keep his merit. But, NCAA rules say (a little further down in the below quoted section) 3.0 to renew and stack...So something to keep in mind. My son is getting significantly more in merit than in baseball. He knows if he loses his merit, some tough choices will have to be made.

No athletic scholarships in D3. But have seen it many times. Students do not take care of business during there Freshman year, and Poof there academic money disapears. Of coarse schools vary. But my sons school for a long time was 3.5 to maintain academic scholarships. Seen schools lose players quite often to this. 

Most coaches know what is going academically, and players not taking care of academics, may have trouble finding plaing time. What is the point in developing players who will probably not be there the following year, because of grades. 

My son took AP coarses, however, he did not score high enough to test out of the coarse in college. Plus his HS was pretty challenging. So Freshman year he had to take some classes, which were basically repeats of senior year.  Turned out to be a good thing. He got a 4 point his Freshman year. Really helped balance out his GPA when he was taking Organic Chemistry. It helped him maintain his GPA and keep and improve his scholarships. Not testing out did not increase the cost. He would have been done in 4 years either way. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.