Skip to main content

When a D1 school has 11.7 scholly's to hand out, is that based on in-state tuition? And if so, then say a 20% tuition, for an out-of-state player may not help out all that much correct??
Thanks in advance for the help

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I believe that the 11.7 is equal to whatever tuition is for in-state students so if in state tuition is 5,000, the coach has 58,500 to work with...... however, I believe there is a formula used for awarding scholarship money to out of state students that calculates an "average" like....

an "average" student's cost is equal to the weighted average of in-state and out-of-state students.

Given that a D1 program will have 30+ players on it and only (11.7 scholarships if they are lucky to have that many), you may not find a lot of out-of-state players on the team, unless the players are very talented, and probably paid a significant part of their tuition or got academic money. It also depends on the talent in that state. Case in point

The University of South Florida has 31 players on its 2003 roster, and 30 are from Florida. Since there are so many talented baseball players in florida and tuition is inexpensive at state schools, there is little incentive for the coach to invest time and money in recruiting out of state, especially when his scholarship dollars will not go very far for an out of state player. But if you are extremely talented, can pay your own way, and this coach can and has evaluated you, he might recruit you if you show interest in his school.

Florida also has a tuition program for residents that pays 75% of their tuition at a state school if they get certain grades and test scores in high school, so that is more of an incentive to stay in the state for many students. Many other states have similar programs.
My understanding is that the average tuition cost for all students is the number that is used. I was told that the schools take take the total of all in state and out of state tuition dollars and divide by the number of students to reach the NCAA tuition number for that school. It is more than in state and less than out of state. They then add books, fees, housing, and meal cost in terms of dollars for 11.7 students to reach a total dollar amount available in the scholarship pool. To summerize avg. tuition + avg. housing + avg.board + avg.fees + avg books x 11.7 = total number of dollars available to give out.
M&M,
This topic has been brought up before but I do not remember the outcome. Can anyone out there help to explain?
Being from Florida, ghouse is correct, this is called the Bright Future's program. This money is available through Lottery funds.
I do not see how any school that carries a roster of 35+ and doesnot have such a program can manage with only 11.7 scholleys to give out. Additional money has to come from some other source. Anyone have any ideas. I know that at one school we visited, the athletic dept is one of the richest in the country, all meals are covered by them for the players.
Last edited {1}
My understanding is that if a school has 22% out of state enrollment, then the schollys will be 22% out of state(moneywise).

Example: 11.7schollys 3.74 or 22% out of state that would mean that 7.96 would be in state. If in state is 10 k and out of state is 18k the they would take

10,000 x 7.96 = 79,600
18,000 x 3.74 = 67,220
money available= 146,820

That is why rich private schools that are expensive and don't charge more for out of state have advantages. More pure dollars to work with and easier guidlines on academic money amounts to the ability to scout the country for players. This is my understanding.

the Florida Bombers
"I love the HSBBW"
A "scholarship" at a given institution is defined as the AVERAGE total cost of tuition, fees, room, books, and meals. Therefore, the mix of in-state and out-of-state students and the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition figure prominently into the determination of the value of a single scholarship.

The coach takes that average, multiplies it by a factor of 11.7 in Division I, and that gives him the total amount of dollars with which he has to work.
So then do books, housing, meals all get lumped into that or are those "extras" a coach can toss in above and beyond his 11.7??

For instance, let's say a coach says, "this is all I can offer, I have no money left" Can he toss in books, meals or other things to help defray the cost or are his hands tied?

A "full ride" includes tuition, fees, books, housing, and meals. Those things total 1.0 scholarship.

I only learned recently that the housing and meals portion may be taxable. So if they're going to give you a 20% scholarship, I would guess you'd want it applied to the tuition, fees, and books and not to the housing and meals.

In an interesting twist, the California legislature is playing with a law that would require California universities to include some incidental expenses as well (such as toothpaste and travel to/from college). This would be in violation of NCAA rules, and so the schools and NCAA are fighting it. But if California moves ahead with it, it could change things for college athletics as a whole as the NCAA would be greatly damaged without the participation of California schools. That was just and aside - sorry for the divergence.
Last edited {1}
Justbb,
When you say taxable do you mean tax deductible??

All this math his hurting my pretty little brain. Wink

So, to recap:
Tuition is 5,000
Tuition, fees, books, meals, room, fees= 10,000
(I'll work w/ round numbers)
So a 20% scholly is 2,ooo to be applied to "xyz"
Right?

Whereas if it were only on the tuition it would be $1,000.
By george I think I've got it!! greenjump
So the 20% is off all that. Not just the

Mr&Mrs - Thats the way the coaches explained it to us this past summer. BUT I always made sure to ask, "are you saying n% of everything (the stuff I listed)?" to which they'd say "yes."

On the room and board, I believe I've read that it is taxable income for mom and dad (no, not tax deductible). Thats why you'd want it applied to the other stuff first.
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.