Skip to main content

I read this on a college baseball blog.

According to multiple sources, SEC Athletic Directors have approved the use of a 20-second pitch clock during the 2010 SEC Tournament. The goal of the clock is to shorten games and make them more fan and TV friendly.

So my questions are?

Will the ball have to be out of the pitchers hand to be in violation of the pitch clock?

When is the pitch clock started, when the pitcher gets the ball back from the catcher or when he steps on the rubber?

Will the umpires now carry stop watches or will there be a clock behind the plate for the pitcher to see how much time he has left to throw his next pitch.

Will the pitch clock be reset if the pitcher throws to first to hold a runner close?

And if a pitcher fails to throw a pitch in 20 seconds what’s the penalty, 10 yards, loss of possession?

Seems like this might make a game longer not shorter, let baseball be played the way it was meant to be played, no time limits and no clocks to watch.

JMO
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSG:
I read this on a college baseball blog.

According to multiple sources, SEC Athletic Directors have approved the use of a 20-second pitch clock during the 2010 SEC Tournament. The goal of the clock is to shorten games and make them more fan and TV friendly.

So my questions are?

Will the ball have to be out of the pitchers hand to be in violation of the pitch clock? No, the pitcher must start his windup in the 20 seconds.

When is the pitch clock started, when the pitcher gets the ball back from the catcher or when he steps on the rubber? Ball Returned to pitcher.

Will the umpires now carry stop watches or will there be a clock behind the plate for the pitcher to see how much time he has left to throw his next pitch. There will be a scoreboard clock.

Will the pitch clock be reset if the pitcher throws to first to hold a runner close? The pitch clock only runs with no runners on base.

And if a pitcher fails to throw a pitch in 20 seconds what’s the penalty, 10 yards, loss of possession? The batter is awarded a ball. If the batter is not in the batters box ready to hit with 5 seconds left on the 20 second clock, the pitcher is awarded a strike.

Seems like this might make a game longer not shorter, let baseball be played the way it was meant to be played, no time limits and no clocks to watch.

JMO

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.