Skip to main content

Let's say a player takes off a year to rehab from an injury and showcase before going to college. In the fall a college program is interested. Assuming there's an available roster spot would the player be eligible to play in the spring by enrolling for the second semester?

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

NAIA, NJCAA, CCCAA, NCAA D2 and D3:
My understanding of the rules is that a player may enroll mid-year and play immediately provided he meets ordinary eligibility requirements. For example, if he is a transfer player, he needs to meet the one-time exception and other transfer eligibility rules. If he is entering college for the first time, he needs to be a qualifier (D2).

D1 baseball (and basketball) only: A mid-year transfer can not play immediately. A player who intially enrolls mid-year may play immediately.

In D1 and D2, there is an additional wrinkle: If the player delays initial enrollment for more than one year, and is involved in any organized competition (a golf tournament, for example) during that time, he uses a season of eligibility and has to sit out for a year. The D2 rule is clear. For example, if the player graduates (or should have graduated) from HS in June 2011, and hasn't enrolled by September 2012, he likely runs afoul of this rule. In D1, the rule is ambiguously written and is either the same as D2 or perhaps requires enrollment by June 2012. I suspect it is intended to be the same as D2.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
NAIA, NJCAA, CCCAA, NCAA D2 and D3:
My understanding of the rules is that a player may enroll mid-year and play immediately provided he meets ordinary eligibility requirements. For example, if he is a transfer player, he needs to meet the one-time exception and other transfer eligibility rules. If he is entering college for the first time, he needs to be a qualifier (D2).

D1 baseball (and basketball) only: A mid-year transfer can not play immediately. A player who intially enrolls mid-year may play immediately.

In D1 and D2, there is an additional wrinkle: If the player delays initial enrollment for more than one year, and is involved in any organized competition (a golf tournament, for example) during that time, he uses a season of eligibility and has to sit out for a year. The D2 rule is clear. For example, if the player graduates (or should have graduated) from HS in June 2011, and hasn't enrolled by September 2012, he likely runs afoul of this rule. In D1, the rule is ambiguously written and is either the same as D2 or perhaps requires enrollment by June 2012. I suspect it is intended to be the same as D2.
I have a question on this one. Let's say a 2011 high school graduate sits out a year to rehab and gets recruited to enter college the following year (fall 2012). In the summer of 2012 he plays summer ball at the semi-pro or collegiate summer ball level. Is his eligibility affected?
RJM,
The relevant rule is 14.2.3.2 in both the D1 and D2 Manual. Note that D1 has three versions of the rule, effective 2010, 2011, and 2012.

I believe the intent of both the D1 and D2 rule is to allow a player to graduate in spring 2011, play in organized competition, and then enroll in fall 2012 without penalty. The D2 rule almost says that, but leaves open the possibility that if the player attends a college which holds a regular academic term during the summer, he might need to enroll in the summer 2012 term.

The D1 rule previously only applied to tennis, swimming and diving. In 2010, it was generalized to all sports with a phased inroduction. The old rule wasn't well written, and in generalizing it, it has become a mess. Taken literally, and supplying the word "or" to make a complete sentence, it seems to say that if he waits until the fall of 2012 to enroll, he would have to sit out a year if he engaged in organized competition. On the other hand, he wouldn't lose a season of competition unless he waited another term to enroll. Remarkably, organized competition could mean a three-legged sack race at the county fair.

Again, I think the NCAA intended to allow a 2011 player to enroll in fall 2012 without penalty. But the D1 rule doesn't say that, and there isn't any history for sports like baseball.

BTW, you mention college summer ball. A player who has not yet enrolled in a 4 year school is a prospective student athlete, and the NCAA has started enforcing that teams which employ college coaches can't take on prospective student athletes. Mostly this applies to JC players, but it would apply to your hypothetical situation also. So that could significantly reduce the chances of finding a team.
quote:
BTW, you mention college summer ball. A player who has not yet enrolled in a 4 year school is a prospective student athlete, and the NCAA has started enforcing that teams which employ college coaches can't take on prospective student athletes. Mostly this applies to JC players, but it would apply to your hypothetical situation also. So that could significantly reduce the chances of finding a team.
This is why I mentioned semi-pro summer leagues. There are two very solid leagues in our area. Thanks for the info.
Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.