Hickory @ Oscar Smith

Nansemond River @ Indian River

Western Branch @ Grassfield

King's Fork @ Great Bridge

Last edited by GoHeels
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

BaseballDad757 posted:

Pretty sure WB is Klak.  Grassfield I think is Stallings with a strong #2 in Perdue.  Guessing though.   

Over at Grassfield, they really do have a 1(a) and 1(b) situation, don't they!  Given they will be competing against one another later in the year (conference play, tournament time), I wouldn't be shocked if they threw someone other than their 1s though.  Give a good team multiple looks at the same guy and they will figure it out, regardless of how good the arm is.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  This is not to suggest that they all don't want to win.  They will play to win the game.  Same goes for NR/Hickory now that they're both 5A.

By the way...let's not sleep on Indian River.  They have been young the last couple of years.  They have some kids who can play. 

New state rankings out....

http://www.prepbaseballreport....ams/2016VADCRankings

bolz717 posted:

OS/DC   OS 6-0

GF/IR  GF 3-0

Hickory/NR 15-5 Hickory

GF has been true to expectations - 2 Games and zero runs allowed and 4 runs scored.  The game Thursday with WB should be excellent if no one holds back on the pitching.

OS and GB (8-0 over Lakeland) did what they were expected to do.  Hickory's big game against NR is a little bit of a surprise.  4 HR's in the game according to the Pilot.

Early season still but SED looks like 3 groups (WB/HH/GF) (GB/IR/OS/NR) (LL/DC/KF).  The teams in the 2nd group are capable of beating the top 3 but are underdogs most of the time. 

We might find out a little more on how good the district is when WB is in FL next week.  They are scheduled to play a Top 10 Nationally ranked team while they are there.  GF, Hickory and GB have been going to SC in recent years but not sure what they are doing this season.

Regarding the NR/Hickory game,  NR pitching simply couldn't throw strikes and was constantly working from 2-0 and 3-1 counts.  In addition, NR made a few really simple and costly defensive mental mistakes (most of which by the pitchers), and a few on the base paths, which allowed the score to get out of hand.  All three of NRs pitchers against Hickory threw a total of zero meaningful varsity innings last year.   Of course, NRs top two starters have thrown a combined 3 innings so far this season, due to non pitching related tweaks.  

That should change in the coming days.  Having said that...the pitching beyond the top two is good enough to beat any of the others in the top half of the district when they get ahead in counts and field their position!  

Not sure where the others are going this season (outside of WB) but NR will be playing in the Coach Bob National, in Phoenix, AZ over Spring Break.  A slate that includes perennial state/national powers Simi Valley, CA, as well as O'Connor, AZ.

Spring Break will certainly be a tremendous test.  But for now...a quality Indian River group, and congrats to Hickory on a nice win.

Last edited by GoHeels

I recall posts last year saying very similar things when it came to NR (defensive issues, pitching woes).  It was said they made silly errors last year too, as most teams do.   I think many of us have been waiting for NR and GF to finally play to potential.  My guess is that NR will be just fine once they get their pitching in order.  They always improve as the season goes, but they will have to prove they can take out Hickory.  

As for GF, so far so good.  Not much offense, but when has that ever been much of a strong suit for them?  It's early, for all teams.  Everything will order itself out come May.   

NR over Indian River 5-4.  Fuqua threw for IR, and was very good.  Had a no-hitter thru 3 innings.  NR broke the drought with one run in the 4th.  Two more in the fifth to tie the game at 3-3.  In the 6th Dion Jordan hit a 2-run HR to give NR a 5-3 lead.  Indian River would manufacture a run in the 6th to cut it to 5-4, and that would end the scoring.  Matt Holt threw his first three innings of the season, while Michael Blanchard finished the final 4 innings.

I think the WB vs Grassfield game went as expected. Pitchers duel into extra innings. Klak simply ran out of gas. He threw 107 pitches in a game in March.....a bit much early in the year but that's what was needed tonight to keep it close.

Both pitchers matched each other inning to inning basically. Stallings threw a lot of early strikes and mixed his speeds well. It came down to who had more in the tank at the end, give the nod to Stallings. Round 2 in May, will be fun. Grassfield has the 1-2 punch that is pretty powerful.

Hickory over IR 3-1; Gregory WP - CG - 3hit/6Ks in 7 innings for Hickory; Fuqua LP despite 7ks in his 5 innings and 1 ER. Hickory scored unearned run in top 5 to break 1-1 tie and another unearned run in top 7 against Spainhour in relief. Hickory's  Polansky went 3/4 -all ground ball singles; Hudson had hard hit double and two ground ball singles in his 3/4; IR's Kasiski went yard for 1st time in his high school career. Well played game by both squads and would have been really interesting if IR 2ndB hadn't booted routine third out ground ball in top of 5 to allow go-ahead run to score.

BaseballDad757 posted:
Infiekd posted:
WB Reporter posted:

Nansemond River defeats Grassfield, 1-0.

Was at game . Garrett Stallings tossed a 1 hit complete  game. Run was unearned. He was a stud tonight. Tough way to get L. Wow .

I wasn't there but looks like Blanchard deserves some props for HIS performance!

Yes Blanchard did well, but not in Stallings Class at all. Stallings is real deal. I am not sure he has given up a run yet this year. 

Infiekd posted:
BaseballDad757 posted:
Infiekd posted:
WB Reporter posted:

Was at game . Garrett Stallings tossed a 1 hit complete  game. Run was unearned. He was a stud tonight. Tough way to get L. Wow .

I wasn't there but looks like Blanchard deserves some props for HIS performance!

Yes Blanchard did well, but not in Stallings Class at all. Stallings is real deal. I am not sure he has given up a run yet this year. 

I'll respectfully disagree with your "at all" statement.  I've seen them both throw....for years actually.  Stallings is better day in day out, but it's not lights years difference.   My opinion of course but I just think your statements are inflated.  Kid just beat Stallings head to head.....can't argue that.  

BaseballDad757 posted:
Infiekd posted:
BaseballDad757 posted:
Infiekd posted:
WB Reporter posted:

I'll respectfully disagree with your "at all" statement.  I've seen them both throw....for years actually.  Stallings is better day in day out, but it's not lights years difference.   My opinion of course but I just think your statements are inflated.  Kid just beat Stallings head to head.....can't argue that.  

We both can have our opinions. You at game or not tonight? Stallings is on his game every outing. I sat with several MLB scouts tonight that made the hike to see Stallings pitch another great game. They are real interested. Put gun down when Blanchard took hill. Yes he won tonight you are correct. But Stallings wins in long run. 

Last edited by Infiekd

I have waited to chime in on the game.

My observations:

1)  Garrett Stallings was as advertised.  I've seen him several times, but this was by far the best I've seen.  The most impressive thing about him was his ability to command three pitches around the strike zone, and at any count.  This is why he will pitch in a Power 5 conference.  The first couple of innings NR hitters, while they had no hits, were squaring up the fastball.  Hard ground balls.  Line-drives right at people.  Stallings then made the adjustments and I would say that from innings 3-7, he essentially pitched backwards.  Rarely did any hitter get more than one fastball.  His breaking ball (it looked like a slider) was very good, and he commanded it at will.  Often throwing it 3 or 4 consecutive times in the same at bat.

2) Michael Blanchard is the best pitcher a lot of folks don't know about.  Similar to Stallings in this game, he had a tough luck loss to a top California program, while locally, has shut everyone down.  Blanchard is a mid 80s, heavy sink and run guy.  He too can command three pitches.  While Stallings deservedly gets a lot of the ink....Blanchard will no doubt pave his own way on mound.  The idea that "Stallings wins in the long run"....well, I'm not going to suggest that he won't.  Here is what I will say.  Blanchard is a 6'6" string bean with whip.  3 years, 30 pounds, and some quality strength and nutrition might see him being "the guy" in "the long run".   This assuming he does what is necessary off the field.

3) I was very impressed with the Grassfield CF.  I can't recall if he had a hit.  What I do recall is him squaring up the baseball almost every at-bat against a guy (Blanchard) who misses barrels like his life depends on it.  He was also very good in CF on a couple of hard line-drives in a crazy wind.

Finally, what a great game!  I think it took a concession stand/pee break to play 7 innings.  Have never seen or been a part of such a fast HS baseball game.  Both should do well moving forward.  NR has one more significant test in their brutal schedule, prior to conference play beginning in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by GoHeels

Both pitchers were impressive. I had not seen Blanchard before and agree with Heels that he is not as well known in the area as perhaps he should be to some people. Stallings was the best I have seen him this year. Over 6 innings just 1 hit 0 walks and somewhere close to 10Ks im guessing. Difference in the game was NR capitalizing on the one chance they got and GF not capitalizing on a couple chances. Especially bases loaded with 1 out in the 1st. Both teams should be able to make deep runs come postseason. 

BaseballDad757 posted:

IR beats WB 7-1.  WB youth being exposed and they look lethargic.  Freshman Antonio Velazquez started on hill and didn't do so well.  Another Freshman started in RF.  Only 2 Seniors started for WB.  Two normal starters are injured.   Rough outlook for WB.    IR hit very well and played a solid overall game.  

Nice win IR, way to take it to WB. 

BaseballDad757 posted:

IR beats WB 7-1.  WB youth being exposed and they look lethargic.  Freshman Antonio Velazquez started on hill and didn't do so well.  Another Freshman started in RF.  Only 2 Seniors started for WB.  Two normal starters are injured.   Rough outlook for WB.    IR hit very well and played a solid overall game.  

I understand the injury issue.  NR has had past/present injury issues with the top FOUR arms on the pitching staff (not necessarily pitching related), along with occasional and in some cases, persistent, nagging injuries with three position players.  Some have kept kids off the mound.  Some have impacted the lineup from day to day.  Arms, ankles, surgery, stitches, knees, hip flexors, hamstrings, quad pulls...you name it!!!!   It's been a crazy spring!

Last edited by GoHeels
GoHeels posted:
BaseballDad757 posted:

I understand the injury issue.  NR has had past/present injury issues with the top FOUR arms on the pitching staff (not necessarily pitching related), along with occasional and in some cases, persistent, nagging injuries with three position players.  Some have kept kids off the mound.  Some have impacted the lineup from day to day.  Arms, ankles, surgery, stitches, knees, hip flexors, hamstrings, quad pulls...you name it!!!!   It's been a crazy spring!

Didn't the NR catcher just get cleated bad on his arm?  Out a few weeks?   And they suffered pitching injuries earlier too.   Seems to haunt them each year I've noticed.  They are solid this year though....poised to make a deep playoff run in my opinion.  Solid offense and pitching is healthy and good now!  Could be a special year!!

Last edited by BaseballDad757
BaseballDad757 posted:
GoHeels posted:
BaseballDad757 posted:

Didn't the NR catcher just get cleated bad on his arm?  Out a few weeks?   And they suffered pitching injuries earlier too.   Seems to haunt them each year I've noticed.  They are solid this year though....poised to make a deep playoff run in my opinion.  Solid offense and pitching is healthy and good now!  Could be a special year!!

"Cleated bad" is about as kind as one can put it.  We'll leave it at that.  Hopefully he'll be back in the two-three week time frame.  The back-up catcher is scheduled for TJ surgery, due to a wrestling injury.  Regarding the pitching staff.  No. 1(a) can pitch, and has pitched well, but has missed time from the lineup due to a leg.  No. 1(b) has been an offensive machine, but has pitched sparingly due to persistent issues.   If he is confirmed healthy (we will get an update in the next couple of days) and becomes his former self...NR can go very deep, and win the whole thing.  No. 3 is now rounding into form, after overcoming some persistent early season soreness.  No. 4 has pitched fairly well, but has recently fell subject to back spasms.

And the world turns!!!!!

joemktg posted:

So which schools are an obstacle to GF's chances to get to States?

Agree with 757.

There is no doubt in my mind that GF will hold, even the best opposing lineup, to three runs or less.  I maintain my preseason position that they will pitch the crap out of it, but their lineup as a whole doesn't scare me, top to bottom.  This doesn't mean that they can't hit.  They have a very good team with kids who can hit.   What it means is...their best arm is going to be better than my best arm.  But my lineup is better than theirs, 1-9.  Can my lineup be ONE RUN better against one of their studs, than theirs is against mine?!?!?

They have won a few 3-2, 2-1 ballgames against good teams.  They will have to continue to do that this postseason.  FWIW, Stallings was as good the other day, as any HS pitcher I've seen in the last 5 years.  Period, end of story.  This includes the Connor Jones'es, and the Derek Casey'es of the world.

GoHeels posted:
joemktg posted:

So which schools are an obstacle to GF's chances to get to States?

Agree with 757.

There is no doubt in my mind that GF will hold, even the best opposing lineup, to three runs or less.  I maintain my preseason position that they will pitch the crap out of it, but their lineup as a whole doesn't scare me, top to bottom.  This doesn't mean that they can't hit.  They have a very good team with kids who can hit.   What it means is...their best arm is going to be better than my best arm.  But my lineup is better than theirs, 1-9.  Can my lineup be ONE RUN better against one of their studs, than theirs is against mine?!?!?

They have won a few 3-2, 2-1 ballgames against good teams.  They will have to continue to do that this postseason.  FWIW, Stallings was as good the other day, as any HS pitcher I've seen in the last 5 years.  Period, end of story.  This includes the Connor Jones'es, and the Derek Casey'es of the world.

Couldn't have said it better myself GoHeels.  You are 100% correct.  Stallings is lights out. If you're going to beat them, you need to score about 2 runs and have an arm to shut them down and match Stallings or Perdue.   I can only think of a few teams that have that ability.   In 6A, I know of one off top of head.  

IR younguns are talented but very inexperienced and questionable fundamentally.  IR JV program is now under new coach who stresses fundamentals which will pay dividends in future years. There are athletes, young good arms, some size and power. Just have to learn what it takes to play at Varsity level in the SED. Most of these kids don't have a clue yet.

BaseballDad757 posted:

Greenbrier Christian beats WB 2-0.  

Nice win for GCA.  I'm sure they would have preferred to beat a WB team at full strength, but it's a nice win nonetheless.  Hopefully, WB can get healthy for the stretch run.

Oscar Smith beating Atlantic Shores soundly doesn't shock me in the least.  I fully expected it.

3Dbaseball posted:

I only know of one player missing right now and the lack of bats and many,many fundamental and mental mistakes I don't believe he can help. Gonna be a long season for them unfortunately. As far as players are concerned there is no senior leadership from what I see.

3D.....you're partly correct.  The players seem to be playing tight and not having any fun.  There IS Senior leadership, trust me.  I know first hand.  It's a complicated season with youth and other things going on.    They lost a teammate late last year and it just seems to have trickled down to a rough year.  Much more going on with this team than outsiders know. 

TriplePlay3 posted:

GF beats Atlantic Shores 17-1. 

Welcome to the SED Atlantic Shores

Grassfield 17, Atlantic Shores 1

Dwight Riddick, Ryan Shaver and Hunter Perdue had four hits apiece to lead the No. 3 Grizzlies, who scored a combined 13 runs in the fifth and sixth innings .

Garrett Stallings pitched a complete game for Grassfield (13-2).

Shores was within reach at 4-1 after 4 innings. Then pitching changes were made due to looming conference games and the floodgates opened....Grizzlies pounded out 13 runs in 2 innings. GF's Garrett Stallings was crisp and throwing in the low 90's. Shores' bats caught up to him numerous times but other than the first inning, were not able to string anything together. Without pitching depth, or a complete game by a dominant #1 or #2, most area private schools find it difficult, IMO, to compete with the most powerful SED and Beach District teams. Batting averages on area private school rosters are inflated against lesser pitching than is found at the top public programs.

Stallings is powerful, polished and mature on the mound, even when his defense breaks down behind him.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.