Skip to main content

My son who is a 2015 LHP got an invite to participate in Selectfest 2013. Skills day at Diamond Nation then Games at Rutgers University. Those of you familiar with this event in the NE what are you thoughts? $595 is the cost. They claim only 160 top players from the NE get the invite and have over 100 recruiters/scouts. The list they provide is pretty significant with a lot of Baseball schools supposedly. Website is below. Anyone have any thoughts/comments?

http://www.selectfestbaseball.org/college

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Your son is very fortunate to be invited as a sophomore. He must be very talented.

IMO, if your son can perform, it will be one of the best things he can do. That was the case for my son back in the 2009 SelectFest (he was a 2010 HS graduate). Almost all the schools listed come back year after year. They are all there looking for talent.

I would say that every single offer my son received came as a direct result of being seen at SelectFest. Best of luck to your son!

No problem LeftyDad. One thing to note is that while some of the same teams from some of the better conferences show up year after year, the concentration of schools is mostly from the Northeast and Middle Atlantic areas. My son wanted to stay in the Northeast, so this event was very good for him.

Please PM if I can help you in any other way about what might be in our area.

Originally Posted by birdman14:

Your son is very fortunate to be invited as a sophomore. He must be very talented.

IMO, if your son can perform, it will be one of the best things he can do. That was the case for my son back in the 2009 SelectFest (he was a 2010 HS graduate). Almost all the schools listed come back year after year. They are all there looking for talent.

I would say that every single offer my son received came as a direct result of being seen at SelectFest. Best of luck to your son!

Birdman14 is spot on...Selectfest is probably the best showcase event we attended locally.  It's been a few years however the schools represented were impressive.

Not sure where you are from however if it's close enough you might also want to inquire about the Super 17 summer program that is run out Diamond Nation.  

Originally Posted by LeftyDad22:

Understood! Do you know anything about the Top 100 Showcase at Villanova?? He was invited to that as well. Says over 90 Colleges??

At the time my son was going through this process, Top 100 just started (we live in Northern NJ, so I had never heard of it). It has been scheduled in the past couple of years just after SelectFest, with many of the same scouts and colleges attending. IMHO attending one or the other is probably good enough. A lot of times it becomes a money issue and are you located closer to one or the other.

Probably the only real difference is SelectFest has been around longer (and used to be much less expensive).

As jerseydad has stated,t he Diamond Nation and the Tri-State Arsenal programs have in the past been 2 of the better programs to be found in the central and southern parts of NJ. I think they still combine and form a team called Super 17 to go to the national tournaments such as PG. They have been very competitive with the rest of the country.

I don't know if this still goes on at Diamond Nation, but they used to have a program called Super 17 where players from all parts of NJ come down and play scouted games. Not sure they still do that...

Last edited by birdman14

If you can swing it I encourage you to have your son do both days.  The showcase day will certainly give the coaches a chance to check out his mechanics, mix of pitches and velo  however I would think performing well in a live game situation will hold more weight in a recruiter's mind.  The more chances of making an impression in front of multiple schools the better. :-)

I would say the same holds true for position players.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.