Skip to main content

Selig received $14.5 million in the 12-month period ending Oct. 31, 2005, according to Major League Baseball's last available tax return. Eek

quote:
You're doing a helluva job Brownie!

Baseball's labor contract runs through the 2011 season and its national television deals with FOX, Turner Broadcasting and ESPN run through 2013. Revenue, which was $1.66 billion when Selig became acting commissioner, topped $6 billion last year.

When the Mitchell Report on drug in baseball was released last month, Rep. Cliff Stearns called on Selig to resign.

"Certainly, a lack of leadership and oversight in MLB enabled these abuses to continue," the Florida Republican said then. "After 15 years of slow action, a new commissioner is needed to guide the league out of this era of drug abuse."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7687786?MSNHPHMA
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
All I can say is that it saddened me when I heard he did. Baseball needs a man with some testicular fortitude running it in this era.
I thought Ueberoth was a good commissioner. He told both sides they were wrong, told them to get in a room and don't come out until they fix it.

Selig is a joke. He was an owner. The players are competing against a stacked deck. No wonder the player's union doesn't like to cooperate on anything.
Last edited by RJM
What would be a good way of choosing a commissioner? Obviously having the owners select one is a failure. How can you tell the people who hire you NO?

When they forced out Vincent it established a very poor precedenct of the owners having the power.

We need a commissioner who doesn't have to answer to the owners OR the players. A true third person to come up with something fair.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.