Skip to main content

First time posting. I have been lurking on this site for almost two years. I enjoy reading topic discussed here.Son hurt his shoulder sliding into home this past weekend in travel ball tournment. Just left the sports medicine doctor office. Xrays are not clear on damage, which I knew they wouldn't be. Doctor is sure rotor cup is ok, not sure if the labrum is torn or not. Son can lift arm above shoulder but he has pain. Doctor wants to wait two weeks to see if shoulder feels better before they order a MRI. I am hoping and praying the labrum is not torn. Told him to take advil, alleve, ice it down. Gave him a few exercises to do to try and get better range of motion. Any other advice from you guys that have been through this before?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Most people on this board are not qualified to comment. Those who are wouldn't without examining your son or at least seeing his file. Do what his doctor tells him to do or go see another doctor, not a bunch of yahoos on a discussion board. Each injury is unique.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Doctor is sure rotor cup is ok, not sure if the labrum is torn or not. Son can lift arm above shoulder but he has pain. Doctor wants to wait two weeks to see if shoulder feels better before they

quote:
Any other advice from you guys that have been through this before?

Demand more or go to another doctor. He needs to either be going to physical therapy or get an MRI...
I will echo Bulldog's statement. I don't know how he could be sure the rotator cuff is OK or why he wouldn't schedule an MRI. The range of motion testing is only a brief indicator of potential injuries within the shoulder, and if your son cannot lift his arm over his head without pain there is certainly some damage in the area.

My advice would be to call the doctor and request an MRI ASAP. If he/she declines, I'd schedule an appointment with another doctor. It's your son's arm, not his/hers.
Last edited by J H
Rest, is fine. Did he give you a sling? Stay away from pain, move within pain free range. You might get a pulley http://www.amazon.com/RangeMas...id=1337061700&sr=8-2 if you stay immobilized for more then 2 weeks.

DR cant order an MRI , cuz he has to go thru the proper steps. The big insurance biz makes sure of it. Unless you go to him and say he is sever pain and what not, and even then the MD still has to jump thru hoops for a MRI
Last edited by LAball
quote:

DR cant order an MRI , cuz he has to go thru the proper steps. The big insurance biz makes sure of it. Unless you go to him and say he is sever pain and what not, and even then the MD still has to jump thru hoops for a MRI

What?

If the original poster has any kind of medical insurance, I'm assuming he does, he simply needs to get a referral to a sports medicine doctor from the regular doctor.

Call them, get a referral. Sports Ortho will look at him and odds are will order a MRI. Don't wait and see.

My son ended up having a broken bone in his foot, and it wasn't visible until they did a MRI.

Normal Doctor said to "Stay off it and take it easy".
The doctor I took him to yesterday was a sports medicine doctor. I do have insurance, but sports medicine doctor wants to wait two weeks to see if motion gets any better. Physical therapist came in and gave him a few exercises that will work on range of motion. I had a friend,his son hurt his shoulder making a diving catch in the outfield, he went through the same thing. His turned out to be a sprain. Insurance companies are a rip off.
Last edited by dl1340
My son had an injured. Went to a doc who ordered an MRI, nothing else. Insurance co approved immediately, but I didn't have a good feeling about the approach.

Went to doc number 2 who said no MRI, start PT immediately, come back in 2 weeks. Did just that, things worked out, son is catching again.

Why didn't we get the MRI? Because if my son needed surgery, he would have been done for the spring/summer/fall anyway. There are threads about recovering from a torn labrum, and it is a very very hard road.

My advice is don't hestitate to get a second opinion if you are not comfortable. Also all sports med docs are not equal. The second doc we saw has a strong history working with top college baseball programs.

Good luck!
I don't think you need to jump right into an MRI. He could have just bruised his shoulder, or stretched a ligament. Do what the Dr. says, unless you just don't trust him. Then, get a 2nd opinion. To insist that you get an MRI just because you dove into a base and your shoulder is sore is a little premature, in my opinion. Rest, ice, anti-inflamatories and see what happens in a couple of weeks. This is what the Dr. recommends and is a pretty standard beginning course of treatment.
It must just be my sports medicine background that makes this whole idea of "wait 2 weeks" want to just go absolutely nuts! And this is the status quo for a lot of physicians for a lot of different injuries.

I am not afraid to take 2-3 days off and see what happens from there. But then I want to do something. Whether that "something" is getting an MRI, starting rehabilitation, or attempting to gradually return to activity.

An x-ray is cheap so they are quick to move to that although it may be completely unnecessary. But the MRI which is more likely to have the answer we must wait.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.