Skip to main content

My son is a rising junior at a Maryland private (MIAA - division A) school and played on varsity this past year as a sophomore.

He is going to tryouts for some fall showcase teams (we are getting a late start) and will tryout for a fall Legion team as well.

In the meantime we are looking for August/Fall showcases on the east coast. However I hear they can be cattle calls (we did the one in Baltimore last summer and it was a waste of time).

Others seem to limit the number of players registering (marketing tool?).
Does anyone know of any well attended, focused August/Fall showcases in the Mid-Atlantic/East Coast area?

Any help would be appreciated

(He is a SS/OF who hits typically .400, steals very successfully, and had an era below 2.00 over 30 innings (although he is not seeking to be a pitcher). )
Original Post
Dear Mdbaseball2008:

Again, I would give Matt Werts a call at Elite Baseball of Lancaster PA.http://www.elitebaseballoflancaster.com/

His fall team which consisted of players from MD...signed...all of them. He is very well connected and respected among schools in the PSAC, along with about two dozen DI schools in the Midwest, Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

When we first met him, I tested him a bit, by giving him the name of a local pitcher who attended a very small private Christian HS. This player/pitcher was very good and could have played for the likes of Riverdale (I know first hand that coach Terrill wanted him), DeMatha or St. Johns, however, the family kept him at this particular small school. He was a senior and never had any serious exposure, except for when he played on the Rookies, but rode the bench most of the time for Chroninger (this is not a criticism of the Chroniger clan or the Rookies, as they know their baseball well and get a lot of players signed) and I think got only a couple of offers, one from UMBC, which is a fine program...but he didn't want to stay in the immediate area. He told Matt the schools he was interested in; Matt drove down to see him play in his HS playoff game and while on the field, picked up the phone and got him a look at Belmont and several other schools he wanted to attend. By the months end Matt had him placed at Palm Beach Atlantic; which was one of the family's top choices.

Matt sometimes holds private showcases where only a dozen or so select players are there to showcase in front of college coaches that are intently watching...and he didn't even charge for this last year!!! What he typically does is have you come up to Lancaster do a workout and along with your history will give you an honest assessment as to whether he can help place your son.

I personally know of two players that were given offers unseen strictly on his word. He's a young guy who the kids relate to and he's very upfront and honest about what he can and can't do for each particular player. His staff is tremendous.

I also like Perfect Game as they have set the standard and are very well organized (you get your money's worth). My son received several letters and campus invites thanks to attending PG, however, I've seen some players get lost in their system because their organization (PG) is so large with so many players attending.

There are other organizations small and large (some local) that are not very good in my opinion, so I'll just leave it at that...

Thanks to two Elite mini showcases and a tournament that Elite participated in, my son and his best friend were signed with schools that they actually liked...which is also another consideration. You can get offers, but does your son like the school, campus, coaching staff and is it a good fit academically which is one of the toughest parts of this process.

Like many fathers I'm guilty of wearing rose tinted glasses; where I see my son as the best player on the field, no exceptions...but I also want my son to achieve his dream and play NCAA ball, so finding a program where all of it comes together and he'll get a real opportunity to play...well, those glasses have to come off and Elite helped me and many other fathers last year do that. Consequently our sons are at programs that fit well with their abilities on and off the field. I see so many hardnosed, good solid players, set their sights for schools limited to only the most elite players in terms of size, speed, etc., yet there are a TON of programs where they could play if they'd only be realistic.

If your son is All-Met caliber, PG is definitely the way to go...if he's a serious ball player who is in the thick of things and a 2nd Team or honorable mention type instead, Elite Baseball is the way to go for both honesty and what you'll end up spending.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk more or over the phone...we spent four wonderful years as a father and son team doing the showcase team and showcase circuit, along with the college prospect camps...been there done that and enjoy helping out when I can. I've come to know many of the college coaches too and would be willing to point you in their direction if you're interested.

Peace and God Bless
Shane
Last edited by CapitalBaseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.