Skip to main content

First of all, the catching forum has been a bit slow, I'd thought I'd start a little something going, but it's not much.

I don't think I have enough range side to side when receiving. I haven't been told but I feel like I get locked up when I have to backhand a ball that's running away from me (away from RH batter).

What can be done to increase my range? What would make someone have limited range?
Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is just a hole in Arizona. -George F. Will
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I feel like there is more you can do when its a ball in the dirt going way outside, but a ball being completely airborne, is definitely more difficult. A lot of times what I see is there is too much movement in the body and head, making it tougher to catch the ball. Gotta make your movements SMOOTH and under control.

Don't just reach across your body, just take a quick slide step the side of where the ball is going, even if its just 6 inches, its gonna get you closer to the ball. Quick jab step with the outside foot and drag the other one. Kind of like how boxers will "step and recover".
Thanks for responses.

In terms of which stance, I would imagine no-man stance only, because I noticed this catching bullpens recently, haven't played in a game since late August.

I tried a few things and I started pointing my feet up the baselines and there's definitely more range, side to side, and its definitely helping to make it easier to catch a pitch on either side with my belly button behind the ball.

But of the ball that's way over to the side, the ones that run or cut from you, to my right side, I think I'm having a little trouble getting there. Maybe I'm not being quick enough.

Could it be that I need to stretch out certain muscles? Which?

Thanks.
I have found that a problem with lateral movement is often that the feet are too close in the catcher's stance. This may be what Catching Coach is getting at when he asks which stance you're using when this happens. The runners on stance often has a bit wider base, which should give you a little more lateral movement. You often run into kids that are very flexible, so they can get into a stance with their feet flat on the ground and close together. Getting your feet to just beyond shoulder width may help, IMO
quote:
Originally posted by Coach May:
I was going to say the same thing emanski. When catching pens catch some in your #2 stance. What can happen in pens is you stay in your #1 stance and relax because "your just catching pens." Work some in your #2 stance and see if this doesnt help you with that. It may just be you need to widen a bit.

A problem I see a lot with bullpens is that unless you are able to monitor them closely, the only players working are the pitchers. Sure, most catchers see bullpens as tedious work for them, but they are very good opportunities to practice catching skills.

Catching the ball properly, working on stances and lateral movement as mentioned in this thread. Create situations in your head where your coming up and throwing to 2nd or 3rd or even picks at first....just working on the footwork. Hopefully your pitchers aren't bouncing a ton of pitches in bullpens, but work on blocking when they do. It's not going to kill the catcher because there shouldn't be that many pitches to block. But that's where you can start developing that confidence in a pitcher that "hey, even with a runner on third, I can bounce this slider and Jimmy is going to take care of me back there".
Great post. I have always beleived that catchers should catch bull pens the same way they would catch in a game. Its your time to work on what you do at the same time the pitcher is working on what he does. If you catch bull pens with a lazy approach then your going to be creating some bad habits that may carry over to the game situations. Use your time in the pens as an opporutnity to work on your game. And of course your helping the pitchers in many ways as well. Your gaining their confidence , your helping them in many ways and your helping yourself and team.
I totally agree. You play like you practice. The whole point of practice is to ingrain the skill to a level of automaticity so it can be done without thinking. So catching a bullpen without approaching it the same way as catching a game (not blocking balls, not framing, using sloppy technique, etc) you actually go backwards in your level of skill.

When game time comes, movements that should be completely reactive still require conscious thought - and are therefore slower.

Meaning the pitcher will see your back more.
Many catchers are deficient moving side to side because they have too much weight forward in their stances.Their back is too flat & they have too much weight centered over the balls of their feet. Try more of an upright stance(back more vertical than horizontal). The feet should be flat with the weight more on the inside of your feet without excessively tipping the knees inside your feet.

Additionally on balls in the dirt to the side, the off shin guard needs to touch down before the lead shin guard.This will enhance your range because the off leg is free to move & it doesn't act as an anchor.I like to drill this with a surgical tubing waist harness that gives the player a chance to work both with assistance or resistance depending on which side of the body the tubing is attached.

The thoughts on purposefull preparation are right on.

JW

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.