Skip to main content

My son got a letter from an SEC coach recently addressed to him personally and saying he had been noticed etc. Then, of course, it encouraged him to attend their upcoming camp. Well, of course the letter made him feel good and start thinking maybe they really were interested and he might just be good enough to make a go at an SEC school, even though he had already come to terms with letting that dream go. I started looking a little deeper and saw that that school already has verbal commitments from 2008 players in both positions my son plays (he's not a pitcher). Now, I don't mind them sending a camp invite, but it just seems like the letter has to be a scam to make money since I am sure there is no way that they are really interested in my son b/c of the verbals. It just kind of didn't sit well with me. Any thoughts on this??
An expert at anything was once a beginner.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Go to the camp if he wants to work on his skills, if he is looking for a recruiting trip, that is totally different.

For the most part, unless the coaches have been in heavy contact with him and he is about ready to commit to them and you want to work with them to see how they coach and show commitment.

We went to a "prospect" event for one school, even with that, there may be very few who actually get looked at. When they were doing BP, they would hit grounders to the infielders; the interesting thing was they would hit one to 3B, three to my son at shortstop, one to 2B, one to 3B, three to my son, and one to 2B. I thought it was very strange, then I realized what was happening....a pitcher friend of my son was in the dugout with the coaches and over heard them saying, watch this guy.

Camps are money makers for coaches and the program, not recruiting events, they may find a diamond in the rough, but that is not what they are setup for.
Last edited by Homerun04
quote:
Any thoughts on this??
if he's an 08, guessing that since you have been around here a while you were savy enough to be expecting this letter and others like it - and had spoken with your son about camp invites meant to stir his hopes & stir your wallet ...

am I right? Wink

also like hr04 says, sometimes you can get a look as well
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
I am sure there is no way that they are really interested in my son b/c of the verbals. It just kind of didn't sit well with me. Any thoughts on this??

I can see how someone would think this way but I don't necessarily agree. First, many coaches recruit athletes and not positions. I believe Oregon State had five or six former high school shortstops in their starting lineup during one of their national championship runs. Some of those were their starting catcher and their centerfielder if I recall the article correctly which was written by their recruiting coodinator. Florida State's catcher was also a shortstop at one time.

Secondly, since your son is not a pitcher he may be recruited for his bat. I have heard more than one coach say that if someone can hit they will find a place in the lineup for them.

Thirdly, and this is the hard part about playing in college, your son is going to have to beat many kids out in order to play. That is the cold reality of the situation and the hardest part for college players to learn. Sure, your son's position may be over recruited by that school but at the end of the day he is still going to have to beat kids out.

Rather than try and read tea leaves in the letter or perhaps be upset, why not call the coach and see what he really thinks of your son. He may just rave about him and you can ask him the question why he is still recruiting your son. You will have the best results getting the information straight from the horses mouth imho rather than trying to devine it from the message board. It may also surprise you and get you really excited.
quote:
Originally posted by HitaHomer1:
Now, I don't mind them sending a camp invite, but it just seems like the letter has to be a scam to make money since I am sure there is no way that they are really interested in my son b/c of the verbals.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

I have seen college coaches run scams to attract people to their camps, so your cautiosness is not unfounded.

The number one reason a coach runs a camp...M O N E Y
Last edited by CPLZ
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martin:
Recently I got a call from a dad of a player who got a letter from a college coach saying we are really interested in your son, they seen him play before ,please attend this baseball camp. He did, when asked were they interested. The coach told him they were pretty much set at his position.

Unfortunately I have heard similar horror stories. There was family who’s son had just been to a three day showcase, the recruiting coach for a college was there all three days, the player showed well in the showcase. He then talking to the coach and the coach wanted him to go down and attend their camp that was being held in the next few weeks. The player also played football and he was dead in season. The father asked me what he should do and I asked him, what was he going to see that he did not see during the showcase? After that discussion, he talked to the coach about not attending the camp, but the coach was insistent that he attend, so they paid the fee and they drove several hours to the camp after a Friday night football game, checked in to a hotel, got a couple hours sleep and showed up at the camp the next morning at 8am.

The camp was over booked so they modified the schedule, did not have BP, skills testing, or infield/outfield, but just played a scrimmage. The player did not get on the field until mid-afternoon, had three abs, no fielding opportunities and was done.

After the camp, they talked to the coach and he said they were pretty much full with his type of players, but thanks for attending the camp!

Not all camps are like that, but his is one of the worst I have heard.
A friend of mine is a pilot and he is reluctant to tell people because all people want to do is share their airline horror stories with him. Yes, unscrupulous exist out there in any profession.

Would I go to their camp based solely off a letter? No.

They may have seen him one time at a tournament and he turned their heads. They may want to look at him up close and see if his talent is for real. If they could describe him over the phone and they told you what they liked about him, it just might confirm your own suspicions about your son. I think people are disappointed when their phone does not ring sometimes and it may have little to do with your son's talent.

To quote OS8:
quote:
Wouldn't it be neat if players recruited programs

Players can recruit programs with spectacular results sometimes if the kid can play. Contact the places you are interested and determine for yourself if in fact they are interested. From there, decisions about camp are easier to make.
Someone told me this weekend a coach watched their son and offered him an opportunity on the spot. While this doesn't happen often, sometimes the coach knows just what he is looking for. Some coaches take FOREVER, thus the invites, more invites and more invites. Unless a prior converstaion has taken place, go to teh camp for intruction.

IMO, most invites to camps are meaningless, not always true, but that is what you get when coaches badly need extra income to support their program. That's the PURPOSE.

I like CD's advice, if son is an 08, I'd give a call and ask a few questions.
We are in the same situation, so this thread is very timely.

I've tried to keep my son the contact point with all the programs he is communicating with. It's a good learning experience for him.

But I'm considering talking with the coach on this one: he gets a personal letter from a school he'd be very interested in, a handwritten side note saying "we saw you at thus and such tourney," and the invite to the camp.

So, how do I gauge if their interest is real or if they just want a campee? It would require travel and all the usual costs.

I don't want to be a meddling parent. But am I getting the sense that it isn't at all out of the ordinary to call and ask point blank: "Hey we'd have to spend a grand to get there. Are you really interested?"
Last edited by Rob Kremer
JMO, if an 08, I'd make a call.

If younger, there's plenty of time. I would attend a few camps where he might really be interested in attending, makes for a good unofficial visit! Wink

Also depends on the location, if school is east, and you are west, might be a consideration. But so are costs. Some camps are worth the price, others not.

Son went to one camp at big D1, it was local. He said no more, so that was the end of that. He didn't feel he got anything new out of it, and he didn't care how they ran it. So after that, he was not interested and that was OK with us.
Last edited by TPM
HitaHomer1,
Your dilemma actually brings up a couple of very important aspects of recruiting. First and foremost an accurate evaluation of your son will give you parameters as to where your son can play. Focus primarily on programs that fall within those parameters. Secondly you have to be proactive. Being proactive entails mapping out a course of action and following your course of action until you are convinced otherwise. If your son has been evaluated to be a JUCO or small D-1 player and you become convinced your son is a big D-1 prospect you simply adjust your plan! Like Rob Kremmer says pick up the phone and call ---- I did. Thirdly if you are operating on a recruiting budget, you need to plan ahead on how best spend your recruiting dollars.
Parents become emotionally involved and very vulnerable to those “selling” college opportunities during the recruiting process. Showcases, camps, and recruiting services depend on the emotionally involved parent to line their coffers. Camps are not inherently bad if your son is a contender (based on your evaluations) and he wishes to target a particular program. However a “camp invite” in itself is worthless and could confuse the player (as may be the case here). I have been convinced that camps were designed to make money for baseball programs BUT are being “sold” as recruiting hot spots. In reality big D-1’s need money from camps because that is one of the few sources that can be used to pay assistant coaches (and players).
You mention this school is a SEC school. My son was recruited by a number of SEC schools and had attended two SEC camps because he had interest in them (MSU --- he was 1 of 300 campers and Alabama --- he was 1 of 700 campers)!!! He opted for Auburn and prior to signing; he asked if he should attend their camp. They said no. I might add that even after TWO years of playing with Auburn he was still getting invitations to attend more Mississippi State camps.
Fungo
quote:
by OS8: a certain recruiter out there had a method of calling 20 kids for a particular position and telling each one they were his # 1 choice
very possible of course .. on the other hand there are many players who give the impression to each school recruiting them that each one is THEIR # 1 choice
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
Originally posted by Bee>:
quote:
by OS8: a certain recruiter out there had a method of calling 20 kids for a particular position and telling each one they were his # 1 choice
very possible of course .. on the other hand there are many players who give the impression to each school recruiting them that each one is THEIR # 1 choice

Depends on who initiated the contact, don't you think ?

The July 1st calls, for those fortunate to receive them are an indication of at least some interest.

Considering "who talks to who" is a big part of the equation, I would find it rare for a player to state to each caller that they are his # 1 choice.

BEE---PM
This is a peeve of mine, so I hope I don't offend anyone by adding a bit more.

Some suggest that since prospective players do not always give an accurate account of where they will go to school, why should the school? Because they are a school. Educators and adults should be held to a higher std.

Some say that it is technically accurate to tell a hs kid he is a "prospect," because, of course, all players are potential prospects and coaches always have their eye out for talent. "Prospect" is a slippery term, but I think most people associate the term with a player who has a real chance. Nothing wrong with a school making a generic invite, or selling its knowledge/training, willingness to evaluate etc.

Finally, some say "you should know better." hs kids should be wary of credit card scams and other unsavory sale tactics, but from colleges/educational institutions? (Do I give them too much credit?)

baseball coaches are generally honorable men, and for the most part, have alot of integrity. This one aspect of the process though is offensive.
I too am caught up in this camp mess. Son is an 2009 graduate (6'3" 190 LHP). As of September 1 he has received numerous letters; many of which invite him to their camps. Based on information I read on this message board we targeted some schools we felt he could play at. My question: When you receive a personalized letter-ink signature from the head coach and he tells you admissions will be sending you information (and they have)does that mean they have an "strong" interest?
quote:
Originally posted by tennisplayer:
I too am caught up in this camp mess. Son is an 2009 graduate (6'3" 190 LHP). As of September 1 he has received numerous letters; many of which invite him to their camps. Based on information I read on this message board we targeted some schools we felt he could play at. My question: When you receive a personalized letter-ink signature from the head coach and he tells you admissions will be sending you information (and they have)does that mean they have an "strong" interest?

Welcome to the hsbbweb!

I have no idea if that letter means strong interest but I am sure it is thrilling to get them Smile

The only way I know how to find the correct answer to your question is to ask them. I view letters as an opportunity. It gives you a reason to call the coach and you can ask them what they know about your son. From what they tell you, you ought to be able to tell whether they are seriously interested.
quote:
Originally posted by tennisplayer:

Welcome!

It certainly shows genuine interest, more so that camp and form letters! To what degree, is the key which you need to find out?

It was a joke amongst the team members in the dugout when they got the form letters, some were just mad when all they got was a camp brochure, but when something was personalized, that was something different, but only a few turned into actual offers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.