Skip to main content

My son is 2020, diagnosed with ADD in his 9th grade year, but just recently enrolled in the 504 plan.  His GPA "just" makes the NCAA cutoff (after his sophomore year).  Our coach has been contacted by several D1 schools in the past few weeks, one of which we will be visiting shortly.  I have read that NCAA does allow for 504 plan kids to take an extra 3 courses after they graduate, but before they start college.  Has anyone had this experience, and is this a deterrent for the college coach who is recruiting?   This whole thing has us so anxious.... 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Irrespective of Division, it is very important that the school is a right fit. Does he do fine in big classes? or small? The 504 plan is only in effect through high school, colleges do not required to do a 504 plan or IEP.

https://www.understood.org/en/...504-plans-in-college

There is research to be done, once schools show interest. You must do this on your own. I would not rely on a coach to have this info. 

We have a friend who was probably D1 material, however he went to a NAIA school, because the school had the ability to support his ADHD, and had programs in place, so he could be successful. His parents did not see him being successful at the other schools that showed interest. 

I know his GPA makes the NCAA cutoff, but he still needs to get into said schools. Most are willing to bend their admission standards for athletes. But unlike football and basketball, baseball does not let any athlete who filled out an application into their school. Which is something I've always appreciated. 

To answer your question - no I have not had experience, but I have talked to coaches about players and they mentioned grades as being an issue. So yes, it could come up. I would look for schools in his academic range that he can also play baseball at. There are plenty of D1 baseball powerhouses where they have lower admissions criteria so if D1 is a priority there are still plenty of options. However Patriot League/IVY may be a stretch. He still has a full year and a half to raise his GPA, no time to panic yet. But if a coach asks, be honest.  

CaCO3Girl posted:
Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

Cheryl, has your son registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center?  If so, be sure to let them know that your son is on a 504 plan so he can be "authorized" to take up to three core courses after HS graduation if necessary.  

Are these high school courses?  I'm confused.

Yes, he is registered with NCAA, and yes, these are 3 core courses he can take AFTER he graduates but BEFORE he starts college, assuming he has not failed a grade (which he has not).  

cherylhans posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

Cheryl, has your son registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center?  If so, be sure to let them know that your son is on a 504 plan so he can be "authorized" to take up to three core courses after HS graduation if necessary.  

Are these high school courses?  I'm confused.

Yes, he is registered with NCAA, and yes, these are 3 core courses he can take AFTER he graduates but BEFORE he starts college, assuming he has not failed a grade (which he has not).  

So what's the purpose?  Let's say a kid received a 72 in Chemistry, because they passed they can't take it again right?  So what's the point of taking these courses?

CACO, I'm guessing that they allow it in case the kid failed classes his senior year and needed to take them in "summer school." Also, could be a way to allow a kid to take less core classes through the year maybe. This rule probably also anticipates kids who didn't start planning their eligiblity early enough in their HS career to get all the required core courses in before graduation. It would allow them to take up to 3 after they grad (or international transfers who need extra time to finish all the core requirements.

CHERYLHANS:  BishopLeftiesDad gave you some great advice. When I taught college classes as a part-time job, I learned that it is the sole responsibliity of the student with learning challenges to seek whatever help he needs. The instructors are prohibited from asking a student if he has any diagnoses/issues, even if it is obvious the kid is struggling and could use some help. So make sure you research what services will be available to him at any potential school. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.