Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Both teams were wonderful.

South Carolina was the apple of my eye this year after they eliminated my favorite team. Old School. Athletic. Tough. Hard nosed team. Well coached. Very well coached.

Anyone see Ray Tanner give Whit Merrifield an earful in the dugout the other night when he didn't call for a ball and almost killed himself and a teammate? Anyone notice who had the game winning hit this evening?
The best all time line in sports..."the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat".

I loved Orel's comments tonight about his most painful loss...a 12 inning WS loss in Cleveland. But, to paraphrase, you play the game for the process and competition, not the result. No matter how difficult the loss, you want to come back the next day because of the competitive element.
quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
Man....SEC National Championship in football and now in baseball...

Gotta love the SEC!
Had UCLA won it would have been the first time a school won the CWS and the WCWS in the same year. Last fall a Texas grad told me Texas was going to sweep football, basketball and baseball. They 0-fer'ed.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by gotwood4sale:

I would have loved to have seen Trevor Bauer pitch one more game in Omaha. That would be about as awesome as watching Fresno's Steve Detwiler or as much fun as watching Irvine's Zach Robinson from year's past. Good stories all...thanks Omaha!

12PATRIOT and I were hoping for the same thing. Or at least one more day watching the CWS at Rosenblatt.
I know a lot of Clemson people who are in pain today, but I never really understood the hatred that the two have for each other. And it's a real hatred, even between families and friends.

There are a couple of bittersweet stories unknown about some of the players, Scott Wingo for one. From a family of die hard Tigers, he was not offered a scholardship to play at Clemson, so he went to USC. It had nothing to do with ability, it was just one of those things and it didn't sit too well with many Clemson fans that knew the family.

USC always came second to many players from south carolina, with Clemson being more of the s e x y school, with better baseball facilities along with a nicer campus. It's always been about football for both schools, with bseball always taking a back seat. USC made a commitment and built a beautiful new baseball stadium, and this has helped recruiting, just goes to show what happens when the athletic department shows you they are committed to your success.

There are a lot of good things going on in that state, lots of good baseball programs. I kind of figured that once they got past a national seed, they weren't stopping, and two teams playing each other that play 4 times a year was pretty exciting to watch in Omaha. Clemson took the series this year, something they have only done a few times. I was behind USC because I am kind of tired about the east/west coast baseball thing, time for an eastern team to take the championship and great for the SEC, who I feel is the best conference in baseball (my opinion).

Congrats to pitching coach Mark Calvi, who we have known for many many years. It was actually Calvi (who was at FIU at the time) who told son, no other place to even consider than Clemson, when others were giving opinions. How ironic is that.

There is no long term sadness in losing, the sadness lasts for a few hours, they know how hard it was to get there and that's special. The next day you wake up, hop on a chartered plane back home, probably have to head out by tomorrow for summer ball decide about going pro and the sadness you feel is replaced by the sadness that for some that may be the last time they will wear the uniform, last time they will play with their teammates who are like your brother. Last time your coach will be there for you, fans, etc. That's the sadness of it all.

Last night was a great game, one of the best I can remember, and very befitting for the last game to be played at Rosenblatt.

Congratulations to all of your sons that made the playoffs, that won their regional, that won their super regionals to get to Omaha, it's a very difficult place to get to.
Last edited by TPM
Nice post TPM. Our high school team lost in the first round of their playoffs and I can tell you that the sadness was all about it being their last game together and not the actual loss.

I was thrilled to see SC win, especially after that fake pickoff to 2nd where the second baseman pretended to chase a bad throw into center field. I hate that play. Loved that the runner on 2nd ended up coming home. Take THAT!
I can't help but be very happy for Coach Tanner and Coach Holbrook. Coach Tanner was the head coach at NC State and really wanted to stay there. He had tried for years to get the administration to upgrade the facilities. After be promised things that never came about he made the decision to leave and take the SC job. Coach Holbrook was a star at UNC and stayed on there to coach. He was the head recruiter there for many years and built so many relationships across the state of NC. He has a young son who is very sick and family that lives in Columbia. When he was offered the job at SC and a pay raise he took the opportunity to be closer to his family and assistance with his young son's health issues.

I have known Ray and Chad for many years and you will not find two better people in this game. They are players coaches in every sense of the word. They work extremely hard and quite simply are outstanding coaches. Its good to see good things happen to good people. This is a team that was so close to being knocked out of their own regional. Pushed to the limit by an outstanding Coastal Carolina club. Lost their first game in Omaha. But found a way to win the NC. Congrats!
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
I know a lot of Clemson people who are in pain today, but I never really understood the hatred that the two have for each other. And it's a real hatred, even between families and friends.

There are a couple of bittersweet stories unknown about some of the players, Scott Wingo for one. From a family of die hard Tigers, he was not offered a scholardship to play at Clemson, so he went to USC. It had nothing to do with ability, it was just one of those things and it didn't sit too well with many Clemson fans that knew the family.

USC always came second to many players from south carolina, with Clemson being more of the s e x y school, with better baseball facilities along with a nicer campus. It's always been about football for both schools, with bseball always taking a back seat. USC made a commitment and built a beautiful new baseball stadium, and this has helped recruiting, just goes to show what happens when the athletic department shows you they are committed to your success.

There are a lot of good things going on in that state, lots of good baseball programs. I kind of figured that once they got past a national seed, they weren't stopping, and two teams playing each other that play 4 times a year was pretty exciting to watch in Omaha. Clemson took the series this year, something they have only done a few times. I was behind USC because I am kind of tired about the east/west coast baseball thing, time for an eastern team to take the championship and great for the SEC, who I feel is the best conference in baseball (my opinion).

Congrats to pitching coach Mark Calvi, who we have known for many many years. It was actually Calvi (who was at FIU at the time) who told son, no other place to even consider than Clemson, when others were giving opinions. How ironic is that.

There is no long term sadness in losing, the sadness lasts for a few hours, they know how hard it was to get there and that's special. The next day you wake up, hop on a chartered plane back home, probably have to head out by tomorrow for summer ball decide about going pro and the sadness you feel is replaced by the sadness that for some that may be the last time they will wear the uniform, last time they will play with their teammates who are like your brother. Last time your coach will be there for you, fans, etc. That's the sadness of it all.

Last night was a great game, one of the best I can remember, and very befitting for the last game to be played at Rosenblatt.

Congratulations to all of your sons that made the playoffs, that won their regional, that won their super regionals to get to Omaha, it's a very difficult place to get to.

The hate between Clemson & South Carolina is baby stuff compared to the hate that Auburn & Alabama have for each other.

I'm with you brother! I've got myself one of those cast iron stomachs as well. I just ease the cover off and slather the inside with a dozen or so Nexium® dissolved in Miller Highlife® and then I shovel in as much as it can take. About a half a shopping cart or thereabouts.

No matter what corner of the world the food is coming from my three legged belly puts it in its place!

Wink

Last edited by gotwood4sale

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.