Skip to main content

Grassfield 1, Indian River 0

Grassfield and Indian River locked up in a great pitchers' duel. Both pitchers (Ali for IR and Cox for Grassfield) went the distance. Cody Cox's solo homerun in the bottom of the third inning proved the difference.

Believe Cox struck out 15 batters and allowed two doubles (to Ali and Dickason) and Ali gave up 3 hits (double to Milner, double to Ellis and homerun to Cox). Game lasted approximately 90 minutes. Great pitching by both pitchers.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

WB...

Ali struck out 14 in 6
Cox struck out 14 in 7

Ali gave up two hits, a leadoff double and the homerun. ( the ellis 'double' was a two base error)
Cox gave up two doubles, maybe one walk.
both had very low pitch counts, very consistent strikes thrown by both

Great great great pitching by both, Cox was a one man show and Ali was just let down by his teams bats.

Not sure if you'll find a better SED matchup than tonight
IR - The "ellis" double was actually a swinging bunt (toward 3rd base line) that Ali tried to field, slipped and fell on his bottom then tried to throw to first and missed. "Ellis" does have a little speed. GF score keeper counted it as a hit. Congrats on a great pitching duel! Congrats to Cody who had a very memorable game
Last edited by GF
baseballfan, thanks for the correction. Got to the game in the third inning and had the info for the previous two innings conveyed to me, obviously not all correctly (hence the reason I used the word "believe" in my report.)

Also thought the umpiring tonight was very good. Called the inside pitch and called the "high" strike, i.e., rule book strike.
Last edited by WB Reporter
GF... I dont see why youre putting ellis in quotation marks like there was some type of shot taken at him. The fact of the matter was the play was an error. plain and simple. Ali fielded the ball cleanly, slipped, and had plenty of time to make the throw and he just made a bad throw. its really not that serious, stop acting so defensive..... but yes, this has to be one of Cody's best performances, hats off to a great all-around game!
quote:
Originally posted by GF:
IR - it was not made to be defensive, but if you take it that way its on you.

GF, if you read the postings, I don't think IR, to whom you directed your comment, was the one who said anything about "defensive". Another poster used that word. IR just reported the IR book, like you reported the GF book. The difference is subjective. I assume, though, that the difference in baseballfan's reporting of 14Ks and IR's reporting of 15Ks by Cox is a mistake on someone's part.
#10 Grassfield 1, #1 Indian River 0
The Grizzlies toppled Indian River as Cody Cox outdueled Dean Ali in a match-up of two of the Southeastern District’s top pitchers.
Cox’s home run accounted for the only scoring, and he struck out 15 in a complete game. Ali fanned 14 batters over six innings.
Indian River 000 000 0 — 0 2 2
Grassfield 001 000 x — 1 3 0
W—Cox (1-0). L—Ali (0-1). HR—G, Cox (1).

Taken from the online VA Pilot online – BB it states 3 hits, believe it or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Nomadad:
GF, we realize this was an important game for you and GF.We are very happy for you and the young man from IR,who I understand may equally have good news coming his way,so lets move-on this Parrot is dead.

Noma, yes it was a big game, but its one game in a long season that will be filled with many big games. I am putting closure to a discussion that did not originally involve you. If you want to add to the discussion, that’s fine. Isn’t that what this forum is for? BTW - the grammar police may not like how your reference IR and GF in your sentence.
quote:
Originally posted by Steinbrenner:
quote:
Originally posted by GF:
Taken from the online VA Pilot online – BB it states 3 hits, believe it or not.
Not hard to believe that your local paper contains that report. You did state that GF book credited the young man with a hit. Isn't it usually the winning team (GF) or home team (GF) which turns in the stats to a local paper?

As I understand it, it’s the Home team that is the official book. I was referring to BB’s comment “Obviously GF is mistaken” concerning the amount of hits. Again I want to emphize that I did not say it was or was not, just that I was told that it was recorded as a hit. I did not mean this to be such a big deal, but when I am called out unjustly, I feel I need to at least try to state the facts as I know it.
WB 4 Hickory 3

WB beat Hickory despite being outhit 9 to 4. Thompson picked up the win, Johnsonbaugh the save. Grauer pitched all 6 innings for Hickory, allowing only 2 ERs. Those with hits for Hickory were Jake Hanks (2), Matt Campbell (1), Will Flora (2B, HR), Danny Grauer (2), TJ Lighton (2B) and Todd Freeman (1). Garrett Brooks (1), Brandon Doggett (1) and Nick Thompson (2B, HR) led WB's hitting.
WB Reporter, like the concept of having all the games for a district during a given week within one thread. If you continue the process next week with another thread, suggest you add (week 2) after the phrase, week of March 22.

Mathews 41, sometimes we get so caught up with how fast someone throws, what their 60 time is or what the exit velocity is, that we forget the game is determined on the field by other factors. We have all played with or seen the guy who runs a 6.5 60 but could not steal a base to save his life, or a pitcher who throws 90 (plus) mph but cannot win the game.
The GB vs Indian River game was all Great Bridge until the bottom of the 7th when there were two pitching changes, 2 errors committed and 3 IR batters hit by the last pitcher. Great Bridge had a very clean game until the very end...happens to lots of teams. Prior to that, IR had hit 4-5 GB batters...good game but I agree, was sloppy at times. Smile
TEAM R H E
Smith 4 6 2
Hickory 7 4 2

Danny Grauer big 2-run HR in the 1st. Hickory's pitchers (Stephens, Morton, Lighton) threw strikes (1 BB) and mixed pitches well. Smith made a couple of baserunning blunders while Hickory took advantage of a couple of leadoff walks/hbp's. Clutch hits by Grauer and Lighton, a couple of really untimely passed balls, and an OF error by Smith were the difference in the game.

Brandon Davis ('10) was 3-for-3 with 2 doubles, SB, RBI for Smith. Stephen Lorkiewicz ('12) pitched well to keep Smith in it (3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 4 K).
Last edited by Smith Baseball
The play of the game for the Hickory Oscar Smith game (in my humble opinion) was made by Hickory center fielder Will Flora. After diving for a bomb hit to the right CF wall by the Smith 3rd basemen (that he barely missed) Flora was able to catch the ball off the bounce and throw from the seated position to the second base cut off/ who then threw the runner out at 3d base as the Smith player tried to extend the hit into a triple. Unbelievable!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.