Skip to main content

I agree with GF on this one.

During the last 4-5 seasons GB has been so loaded you could have taken the JV lineup with the varsity pitching and probably won 9 or so games in the district every year. Maybe more. As long as GB has the talent flowing in like that they will contend under Townsend or any other reasonably competent coach every year. I do think that Sean will prove to be an outstanding coach and would do well anywhere.

Winning the district usually turns on a single game and maybe a single play. Last year one of the key games was when GF had GB down 5-0 with Ingraham on the hill. Brian Beard hit a two out, two strike 3 run homer in the sixth to put GB in front and they wiggled out of a bases loaded no out situation in the 7th. How much of that was Wiley? Obviously he had nothing to do with what Beard did but the way the pitching was managed, defense positioned in the 7th he would have decided. Who knows for sure but they pulled it off so he gets credit. Without that win WB wins the district without a playoff and if GB gets knocked out by NR the way WB did in the district tournament they never even get to regionals much less win the State Championship.

The year before they lost a tough game to Cox in the regionals. Wiley substituted an infielder into the outfield and he turned a tough fly ball into a two run triple. Did he over think it? Would the regular outfielder have made the play? Again, who knows but it's one of those things that I've never seen talked about.

In my opinion GB's 2010 team was much better than the 2011 version. 2010 will be a footnote and 2011 will always be a State Champion. Is it the coaches fault that they didn't win in 2010? I say no it's not becasue in one game deals anything can happen. Earlier in the game the Cox CF made a tremendous catch on a 400 foot drive that saved one at least one and probably more runs. Flip the two plays and GB may have won by 3-4 runs and may make a run deep into States.

As GF says talent wins and if you get enough cracks at it eventually things will work in your favor and you will win big.
Another big question about GB is will they still attract the transfer talent like they have in the past? At least 3 of last years major contributors (and D1 signees)transfered to GB just to play for Lee. If that talent had stayed at their previous school would Gb have won states? I'm not saying it's wrong to transfer, everyone can make their own choices, I'm just wondering if it will continue.
Not saying there was but sooner or later the lines will move when things pick up and more houses start getting built. The politics used to get the bonds passed make it inevitable. The only reason it hasn't already happened is the recession really put the brakes on houses going up. When things pick up again if the building continues in that Dominion Blvd coridor somethings gotta give.
quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Stalker:
I've got Hickory winning 13-14 games next spring. Not including Spring Break.

They went 12-8 last spring.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ofs10:
diamond stalker,i think hickory will be good but i think they will win around 11-12 wins again!

They would have won more last year if TJ was available to pitch earlier.

We'll see. I hope that I'm right. We've already been round and round with this, no need to rehash it. Looking forward to the season.
For Hickory to win 14 district games they'd have to beat everyone twice excluding GB, WB and NR and go 2-4 against that group. That is not a ridiculas possibility but it does represent a level of consistency that they have not demonstrated in the past. It also assumes some pretty good growth from underclassmen and returning players. It would definately be a nice stride forward there and make the race in the district much more interesting.

I hate to gloat but......

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.