Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by She91434:

Has anyone received an unite yet? Also, "been recommended as a prospective student-athlete for Stanford University"-how should I read this? Do they send it to many prospects?

My 2015 received an email from one of their coaches on the 10th of January for the camp.  He had been in contact with them some before as well including things like unofficial copies of transcripts.

Originally Posted by Suds:

Has anyone received an unite yet? Also, "been recommended as a prospective student-athlete for Stanford University"-how should I read this? Do they send it to many prospects?

My 2015 received an email from one of their coaches on the 10th of January for the camp.  He had been in contact with them some before as well including things like unofficial copies of transcripts.

Ditto.  Ours was a few weeks ago and 2016 son is signed up already.  I am looking to find out which schools will work session II in August 8-10.  HeadFirst on Long Island finishes up Aug 8, so will be interesting to see which schools (Ivy's?) make it out to Palo Alto.  Welcome any info/insights.  Have emailed Coach Stotz but has not replied yet.

Last edited by BucsFan
Originally Posted by dadof2015player:

My 2015 received an email on Jan 10th from one of the coaches as well.  Signed up for the first session. He is looking forward to it...and so am I!

same here! flying in from Kauai to hit Headfirst, drive to stanford camp then off to Vegas with my 2016. If you have not already reserved at the Sheraton across the street from Stanford (group rate) i would suggest doing it soon, when i registered 2 weeks ago they told me it was filling up fast and only had so  many rooms left.

My son is excited as well - he went to the future stars camp (2015 grads only) last year and it was the in the top 2 baseball experiences of his life (along with Cooperstown when he was 12).

This year we are sending him by himself and this camp they stay in the dorms -  so we will see how that goes. I will be happy if he ends up at the right airport.

Here is the list of coaches that worked the Stanford All Star Camp last year :

BRIAN HAMM?  AMHERST
ANTHONY DeCICCO  ARMY
ED KAHOVEC  BARD
MIKE LEONARD?  BATES COLLEGE
"DOC" BEEMAN  BENEDICTINE
MIKE MC CORMACK?  BROWN
PATRICK ROSE?  BUCKNELL
ANTHONY FERRO  BUTTE JC
MATTHEW MARK?  CAL TECH
PATRICK JOLLEY?  CENTENARY
MIKE DIAZ  CENTENARY
JEFF OPALEWSKI  CENTRAL MICHIGAN
DAN TISCHLER?  COLUMBIA
SCOTT MARSH  CORNELL
MIKE CLARK?  CORNELL VOLUNTEER
BOB WHALEN?  DARTMOUTH
RYAN ROMICK  DENISON
JAY ALEXANDER  EASTERN MICHIGAN
ANDREW MAKI  EASTERN MICHIGAN
CHRIS TERRY  EASTERN NEW MEXICO
STEPHANOS STROOP  GEORGE WASHINGTON
PETE WILK  GEORGETOWN
BEN COOPRIDER  GRINNELL COLLEGE
MIKE ZANDLER  HARVARD
NEIL GROAT?  HENDRIX COLLEGE
RON RAKOWSKI  HOLY CROSS
GREG DiCENZO  HOLY CROSS
RICHIE PRICE  KANSAS
IAN LAW  LAFAYETTE COLLEGE
MATT HOBBS  MISSOURI
TODD CARROLL  MIT
BRYAN STARK?  NAVAL ACADEMY
EDDIE SMITH  NOTRE DAME
MATT DAILY?  PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
BEN ADAMS  PALOMAR
JOHN YURKOW  PENN
FRANK PERICOLOSI  POMONA
NATE RASMUSSEN?  PUGET SOUND
JIM MCGONIGLE  ROLLINS COLLEGE
ALEX PRACHER  SAINT JOSEPH
NICK ENRIQUEZ?  SAN JOSE STATE
GABE RIBAS  SANTA CLARA
DEAN STOTZ  STANFORD
RUSTY FILTER  STANFORD
BROCK UNGRICHT  STANFORD
KRISTAPS ALDINS  STEVENS
JIMMY GULDEN?  SUSQUEHANNA UNIVERSITY
TIM SCANNELL  TRINITY UNIVERSITY
JASON TOWER?  TUFTS
JIM MEUEL  UC DAVIS
MATT VAUGHN?  UC DAVIS
JAKE VALENTINE?  UC RIVERSIDE
JOE MYERS  UNIV OF DALLAS
MIKE MC CORMICK  UNIVERSITY OF PACIFIC
JOE REINA?  UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER
CHRIS HOM  USF 
BILL CILENTO  WAKE FOREST
TRAVIS TURGEON?  WASHINGTON COLLEGE
ROBERT RUIZ?  WESTMONT
MATT HUSTED?  WHEATON?

There were many more coaches who were "unofficially" there as well. Also, some of the schools had multiple coaches in attendance.

Last edited by She91434

Did they ask for an unofficial transcript (paper)or asked you to fill in a survey monkey questionnaire about classes and grades? Just curious. THanks!

My son (2015) received notice about this in December, with "more info to follow" and another email in January letting us know that the online registration is up.  Yes on the survey monkey question, back when Coach Stotz was there.

We are waiting to see if this conflicts with Area Codes, does anyone know when those are held next summer?  Thanks.

Originally Posted by BOF:

Area Code games usually first week of August, should be fine. 

Regarding grades/transcripts fill out the forms. Why would anyone go if they were not high academic anyway? Of course the experience is the best there is but...

I'm sure they are looking through the transcript..BUT SAT/ACT grades that what will bring you in plus an extraordinary talent playing baseball. Admission website has all the recommendation and requirements. Transcript-recommended ( I assume NCAA clearance grade/GPA) but SAT/ACT is required. My 2 cents

Last edited by She91434
Ya, that is when we sent our transcript/classes survey in. It's pre-qualifier..

My son (2015) received notice about this in December, with "more info to follow" and another email in January letting us know that the online registration is up.  Yes on the survey monkey question, back when Coach Stotz was there.

We are waiting to see if this conflicts with Area Codes, does anyone know when those are held next summer?  Thanks.

Originally Posted by baseballlife:

Last Summer's Area Code Games tryouts here in SoCal were July 8-9.The Stanford All Star Camp ran from June 30-July 3rd.The actual Area Codes Games in Long Beach were in August.

Originally Posted by KauaiDad:
Originally Posted by dadof2015player:

My 2015 received an email on Jan 10th from one of the coaches as well.  Signed up for the first session. He is looking forward to it...and so am I!

same here! flying in from Kauai to hit Headfirst, drive to stanford camp then off to Vegas with my 2016. If you have not already reserved at the Sheraton across the street from Stanford (group rate) i would suggest doing it soon, when i registered 2 weeks ago they told me it was filling up fast and only had so  many rooms left.

All signed up for Sheraton. 2015 did Headfirst on Long Island last summer and will do it again this August.  Very well run and tons of coaching exposure. Wanted to go to Stanford Futures Camp last summer but travel baseball conflict prevented him from attending. He filled out Coach Stotz's recruit survey as a sophomore.

My son received one for camp after he received a recruitment type of letter. My son is not projected to be at that level,, maybe D- 3 . I finally got the info i wanted about his first letter and I was told it was because of his high GPA. They have never seen him play. I have him signed up but i may just use the money this year for a batting cage and sign him up next year more for the experience and to be seen by the lower divisions.

Originally Posted by DMan:

My son received one for camp after he received a recruitment type of letter. My son is not projected to be at that level,, maybe D- 3 . I finally got the info i wanted about his first letter and I was told it was because of his high GPA. They have never seen him play. I have him signed up but i may just use the money this year for a batting cage and sign him up next year more for the experience and to be seen by the lower divisions.

If your son is a 2015 grad then this summer is the time to attend The Stanford All Star Camp.He will not qualify for it next year.The All Star Camp is loaded with high academic D3 coaches who recruit players from this camp every summer.

Originally Posted by bobbyaguho:
Originally Posted by DMan:

If your son is a 2015 grad then this summer is the time to attend The Stanford All Star Camp.He will not qualify for it next year.The All Star Camp is loaded with high academic D3 coaches who recruit players from this camp every summer.

Thanks,  I may just take your advice. You never know what can happen.

Son received email which lists this years coaches attending, which is below. Because we don't have many (if any) options here he and i are both looking forward to this trip.getting close

COACH                             SCHOOL
BRITT BONNEAU            ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY
BRIAN HAMM                AMHERST
ANTHONY DeCICCO       ARMY
ED KAHOVEC               BARD
"DOC" BEEMAN            BENEDICTINE
MIKE MC CORMACK      BROWN
JASON NEITZ               BUCKNELL
ANTHONY FERRO         BUTTE JC
MATTHEW MARK          CAL TECH
PATRICK JOLLEY         CENTENARY
DAMON LESSLER         CHICO STATE
DAN TISCHLER             COLUMBIA
SCOTT MARSH             CORNELL
BOB WHALEN              DARTMOUTH
RYAN ROMICK             DENISON
JAY ALEXANDER        EASTERN MICHIGAN
MIKE HAM                    FRANKLIN & MARSHALL
PETE WILK                  GEORGETOWN
BEN COOPRIDER       GRINNELL COLLEGE
MIKE ZANDLER           HARVARD
NEIL GROAT               HENDRIX
ERIC THEISEN            HILLSDALE COLLEGE
RON RAKOWSKI         HOLY CROSS
RICHIE PRICE               KANSAS
MATT DAILY                 LEWIS AND CLARK
CHRIS CLEARY            BUTLER
MATT HOBBS               MISSOURI
TODD CARROLL         MIT
BRYAN STARK             NAVAL ACADEMY
NATE RASMUSSEN       PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
BEN ADAMS                 PALOMAR
JOHN YURKOW             PENN
FRANK PERICOLOSI       POMONA
BRIAN BILLINGS             PUGET SOUND
CHRIS TERRY              REGIS
NICK ENRIQUEZ           SAN JOSE STATE
GABE RIBAS                  SANTA CLARA
DAVID VALESENTE       ST JOSEPH
THE STAFF                    STANFORD
KRISTAPS ALDINS       STEVENS
JIMMY GULDEN             SUSQUEHANNA UNIVERSITY
TIM SCANNELL           TRINITY UNIVERSITY
JASON TOWER             TUFTS
MATT VAUGHN             UC DAVIS
JAKE VALENTINE       UC RIVERSIDE
FRASER HOLMES       University of Dallas
JOE REINA                  UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER
SEAN WEST                UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS
MIKE MC CORMICK       UOP
BILL CILENTO              WAKE FOREST
TRAVIS TURGEON        WASHINGTON COLLEGE
PAT PINKMAN            WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST LOUIS
ROBERT RUIZ            WESTMONT
MATT HUSTED             WHEATON

KauaiDad,

I'm sure you are counting the days Have your son email all of those coaches with his academic and athletic progress to date.Include any video links if you have them.This will put your son on the coaches radar if he isn't already.You never know which one of these schools could be the best "fit" for him.Don't cross anyone off the your list yet.

My son was recruited by a number of the schools at this camp.In fact,the head coach of the school my son committed to was in the cage throwing live at one of the hitting stations.He got to see bat speed,approach, and mechanics All things he had seen in the video links and updates.... up close and personal.Then saw the whole package live on Sunken Diamond.The rest is history

The Stanford Future Stars & All Star Camp provide all three of us with a lifetime of memories.My son enjoyed every minute of these camps.So did my wife and I !

Have a great time !

Originally Posted by bobbyaguho:

KauaiDad,

I'm sure you are counting the days Have your son email all of those coaches with his academic and athletic progress to date.Include any video links if you have them.This will put your son on the coaches radar if he isn't already.You never know which one of these schools could be the best "fit" for him.Don't cross anyone off the your list yet.

My son was recruited by a number of the schools at this camp.In fact,the head coach of the school my son committed to was in the cage throwing live at one of the hitting stations.He got to see bat speed,approach, and mechanics All things he had seen in the video links and updates.... up close and personal.Then saw the whole package live on Sunken Diamond.The rest is history

The Stanford Future Stars & All Star Camp provide all three of us with a lifetime of memories.My son enjoyed every minute of these camps.So did my wife and I !

Have a great time !

I have to give the kid credit. Relayed info i found here to him a few months ago. Asked again last night and found out he emailed about 14 of them (only schools with Astrophysics as part of their curriculum), sent a video, grades and copy of PSAT (has not taken SAT but scored mid 70's all subjects on PSAT). Remarkably he got 9 responses basically telling him they are interested in meeting him and 3 more personal responses from 3 of his top 5 schools. so all is good so far.

I would like to add that both the Stanford and Headfirst people have been absolutely fantastic in their responses to my questions i have asked. Coach Stotz in particular has answered in detail every one of my questions. 

Originally Posted by KauaiDad:

I have to give the kid credit. Relayed info i found here to him a few months ago. Asked again last night and found out he emailed about 14 of them (only schools with Astrophysics as part of their curriculum), sent a video, grades and copy of PSAT (has not taken SAT but scored mid 70's all subjects on PSAT). Remarkably he got 9 responses basically telling him they are interested in meeting him and 3 more personal responses from 3 of his top 5 schools. so all is good so far.

Sounds Great ! Although, I have no idea what Astro Physics is. LOL ! I do know a great song called "Astro Zombies" by the Misfits

Isaiah's Mom,

Engineering and D1 baseball are pretty much mutually exclusive except for a few schools and the Ivy's. Depending on his skills and grades the Ivy's would be a consideration, plus a number of D3's.

Trinity University in San Antonio has an excellent engineering department, as does CMS, (Claremont, Mudd Scripts) in SoCal. 

I would look into consider the Arizona Fall Clasic academic game, as well as the Headfirst camp.

Go to d3baseball.com and look around at programs and find ones that have engineering majors that fit your son's profile.

Good Luck!

Most kids that play sports aspire to play at the D1 level and of course my son is no exception however, he actually has a really good head on his shoulders and will be happy as long as the program is competitive.  I have read up on how difficult engineering majors are on their own let alone with a sport thrown in.  Again being the disciplined student and athlete that he is I believe he will succeed.  I have looked into Trinity and they are looking very good.  I have his dad checking them out now as well. I had heard about CMS but hadn't researched them yet so I will do that.  

We are in Illinois and I have heard that U of Illinois has a good camp program.  I don't want to send my son to a camp just because it is convenient.  I want to send him somewhere that will benefit him as a player and as an individual.  But if it actually is a good camp all the better.  So, if you can give me any feedback on U of Illinois that would be great.  

I have also looked into the Arizona Fall Classic Academic Game and the Headfirst Camp.  Once I talk it over with him I will most likely sign him up.  

Thanks for the feedback!

Having been down this road my advice is to get a realistic view of your son's capability to play D1 ball first and then look at rosters to see what majors the students have at those schools. Both Fenwaysouth's son and mine are engineering majors and playing baseball. (played...actually his son just graduated)

I can tell you that the only schools that my son found that worked around engineering majors were Stanford, UC Davis, and the Ivy's. Study time is only one element, the biggest issues are that most labs are in the afternoon and missing practice at a competitive D1 is a non starter in most programs. You also have to consider whether he will play at all missing practice, and eventually be cut after a year. These are all real issues you need to consider up front.

Coming from Illinois makes it even more difficult trying to get the attention of a D1 coach, I am not saying that he won't but he has a much more difficult time. My son in fact played with a pitcher from Illinois who was looked over by a number of D1's went to Trinity and was drafted and is now in his second year in the minors. It can happen but your son better be very special (in terms of baseball, I am sure he is special

There are many highly competitive D3 programs in your area that you should look into. A map of them are below. Marietta is in fact one of the top D3 programs in the country and has an engineering program. I will warn you however that to play at a top D3 ranked program who goes to Regionals and the CWS is not much less than a competitive D1. I am not trying to discourage you, but give you a realistic view of his options. We went WAY down the D1 path and did not switch to D3 until very late and I wish I would have spent more time looking evaluating other options. 

https://maps.google.com/maps/m...b3b44&dg=feature

Sorry for the misunderstanding,  I meant that my son would love to play D1 but we are more realistic than that. That is why Trinity or schools similar to that are what we are interested in.   He wants to play lol!   Had he grown up in the south perhaps it would have been more conceivable.... He has the talent but it's a big competitive world out there... and there are so many factors.   I just want some coaches to see him and help him develope and hopefully one will see the talent he has and grab him.   I'm
Definitely not delusional lol!  Thanks for the guidance tho,  it's appreciated!  I think it's always best to gain knowledge from people who have traveled the path before you.

Can anyone provide a list of all coaches/schools who were at either of the two Stanford All Star Camp sessions this year? Interested to see a full list of which schools/coaches were in attendance, whether as "observers" or "workers" at the camps.  Many thanks.

ETA: I know KauaiDad posted a list of the coaches/schools that were set to attend the first camp session (June)... wondering if that ended up being the full list, or did other schools show up as well?  Plus looking for a list from the second camp held a couple of weeks ago. Thx.

Last edited by Soylent Green

BucsFanSon attended All Star Camp Session 2 recently, and I was there with him.  Below is the list of schools that Coach Stotz had sent to me in advance that were SUPPOSED to attend...of these, I have put an asterisk next to the ones that I am all but certain did NOT make it.  There may have been others below that did not make it, and there may have been schools that did attend that are not listed below (doubt it, though). 

ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY 
BARD 
BATES COLLEGE 
BIRMINGHAM SOUTHERN 
BROWN 
CAL TECH 
CENTENARY 
CHICO STATE 
COLUMBIA 
CORNELL 
DARTMOUTH 
GEORGETOWN*
GRINNELL COLLEGE 
HARVARD 
HOLY CROSS 
KANSAS 
LEWIS AND CLARK 
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT 
BUTLER 
MIT 
PACIFIC UNIVERSITY 
PENN 
PENN STATE *
POMONA 
PUGET SOUND 
ROLLINS COLLEGE 
STANFORD STAFF 
STEVENS 
TRINITY UNIVERSITY 
UC DAVIS 
UC RIVERSIDE 
UNIVERISTY OF DALLAS 
UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER 
UOP 
WAKE FOREST 
WASHINGTON COLLEGE 
WESTMONT 
WHEATON
WIDENER UNIVERSITY

Last edited by BucsFan

Thank you for posting this list.  I have to say, the schools who attended the Stanford camp are at least 90% the same as the coaches I saw at Headfirst earlier this month at a much closer Long Island?  Aside from obviously being seen by Stanford, what is the incentive for an eastern seaboard player like my son, to make the trip out to Palo Alto when he can get basically the same exposure in Long Island at Headfirst? 

Heading to the West coast is not exactly in my son's, or my wife's plans for him in college.  Obviously if the right school offered (miracle).  I can think of maybe 3 schools he'd bite on if offered on West coast.  So unless you are a West Coast player or desire to head west, what is the point?  The eastern schools, Ie. Ivies, you can see at Headfirst on Long Island.

It sounds like a great event and one I'd love to send my player to, but I'm not seeing the point?  What am I missing?  What will my 2017 get by going to Stanford next summer instead of Headfirst in Long Island?  And I must say, he got a lot out of attending Headfirst.

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.