Skip to main content

Boston

Baseball - David Ortiz - For doing it in October over maybe the greatest overall hitter ever in Ted Williams

Basketball - Bill Russell - Over Larry Bird for being the greatest leader/winner in sports

Hockey - Bobby Orr - Light years ahead of his time in his sport. Light years ahead of his time as anyone in any sport

Football - Tom Brady - Consistent winner, maximized his abilities, never satisfied, the next championship is as important as the last

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Last edited by RJM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Everythings "bigger" in Texas... We have a Mountain RANGE (on our Plains!)

Dallas-Ft Worth

Baseball: Nolan Ryan, Texas Rangers , Frisco Rough Rider's milb 2A Rangers

Football: The Cowboys, Tom Landry, Bob Lilly, "Dandy Don" Meredith, Bob "the Rocket" Hayes, Chuck Howley,  Randy White, Roger Staubach, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Tony Dorsett, Mel Renfro, Drew Pearson, Michael Irvin

Basketball: Mark Cuban & Mavs

College: SMU Mustangs,  TCU Horned Frogs,  Baylor Bears (Waco, 80 m south)

Houston Area

Baseball: Astros

Football: Texans

Basketball: Rockets

College: Rice Owls, U of Houston Cougars & Tex A & M (Whoop!)

San Antonio

Basketball: Spurs

"Other", I mean... Austin, Lubbock Corpus Christi

College: Tex Longhorns,  Augie Gaurida Tex Tech Red Raiders

Baseball: Corpus Christi Hooks milb Astros, Round Rock Express milb 3A Tx Rangers

Last edited by baseballmom
Bolts-Coach-PR posted:

New York:

Yankees: Bambino

Mets: Seaver

Giants: Gifford

Jets: Namath

Knicks: Clyde Frazier

Nets: Dr. J

Rangers: Ron Greschner..? 

Islanders: Bossy, Potvin, Trottier, Gillies, Nystrom, Smith... 

Yanks - Agree

Mets - Agree

Giants - LT

Jets - Agree

Knicks - Ewing

Nets - Agree

Rangers - Leetch

Isles - Potvin Sucks!  But he was great. 

RJM posted:

Boston

Baseball - David Ortiz - For doing it in October over maybe the greatest overall hitter ever in Ted Williams

Basketball - Bill Russell - Over Larry Bird for being the greatest leader/winner in sports

Hockey - Bobby Orr - Light years ahead of his time in his sport. Light years ahead of his time as anyone in any sport

Football - Tom Brady - Consistent winner, maximized his abilities, never satisfied, the next championship is as important as the last

Williams is an American Hero... I'd put Ted #1 and Yaz #2 over Ortiz as well...

Manny got it done in October too, you know...

Gainesville, Georgia:

Baseball - 8-year major league veteran RHP Cris Carpenter gets the nod here over Jody Davis, primarily because Cris was also an all-SEC punter and played on two HS state basketball champions (coached by Davis' older brother Jerry).  Honorable mention: Micah Owings (who Carpenter coached in HS), Dexter Fowler (reportedly lives here offseason), Kevin Millwood

Football - Billy Lothridge, 1960 Heisman runner-up and NFL All-Pro (though 2015 Heisman runner-up Deshaun Watson should take this spot soon).  Honorable mentions: Preston Ridlehuber, Billy Martin, Mike "Moonpie" Wilson, Corey Hulsey, Chan Gailey, Blake Sims

Basketball - Washington Mystics' Tasha Humphrey

Other sports - 1973 Masters Champion Tommy Aaron. Honorable mention: professional wrestler AJ Styles

Last edited by MrBumstead
RedFishFool posted:

Are you asking about towns that they played in or the hometowns in which they grew up, etc?

If the former then you are basically asking about towns with major league league franchises ,etc?

I'm asking for the best player in the four major sports in the pro sports town you supported growing up. I grew up in New England. I also lived in LA and Philadelppjia long enough to have an opinion. But they're not my teams.

Bolts-Coach-PR posted:
RJM posted:

Boston

Williams is an American Hero... I'd put Ted #1 and Yaz #2 over Ortiz as well...

Manny got it done in October too, you know...

Had Williams played on teams as good as Ortiz he would be an easy #1. He only played one post season and underperformed.

RJM posted:

Boston

Agree with 3 out of your 4 because I think we are from different eras..... which is a nice way of saying you are older than me.      I'm going with Larry "Legend" Bird without hesitation.  He was amazing.

BTW - I tried doing some of the things Bobby Orr did on skates and it always ended poorly for me. 

chefmike7777 posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Rooney, Noll, Bradshaw and Woodson of if using all sports

Rooney, Lemieux, Stargell and Bradshaw

not Clemente?

That's a tough one....but I was born in 67 and Clemente was done by 72.  Never really saw him play.  I actually grew up a Reds fan.  My uncle married a Pittsburgh girl when I was 7 or 8 and she converted me to a Pittsburgh fan....both football and baseball, though I'm still a Reds fan at heart.   Just remember Stargell as the "face of the Pirates" back then....so I guess he should get his face on the mountain

Buckeye 2015 posted:
chefmike7777 posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

not Clemente?

That's a tough one....but I was born in 67 and Clemente was done by 72.  Never really saw him play.  I actually grew up a Reds fan.  My uncle married a Pittsburgh girl when I was 7 or 8 and she converted me to a Pittsburgh fan....both football and baseball, though I'm still a Reds fan at heart.   Just remember Stargell as the "face of the Pirates" back then....so I guess he should get his face on the mountain

I grew up in Western Pa and loved the Pirates as a kid.  I was 11 years old when Clemente won the MVP in the 1971 World Series.  I loved both Stargell and Clemente.  If I could only pick one it would be Clemente but if they were building a Mount Rushmore in Pittsburgh, I would start a movement to have both their images carved into the mountain.  Not sure you can find a mountain big enough to carve all the Steelers who ought to be on there and I by no means am a Steelers fan.  

ClevelandDad posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:
chefmike7777 posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

not Clemente?

I grew up in Western Pa and loved the Pirates as a kid.  I was 11 years old when Clemente won the MVP in the 1971 World Series.  I loved both Stargell and Clemente.  If I could only pick one it would be Clemente but if they were building a Mount Rushmore in Pittsburgh, I would start a movement to have both their images carved into the mountain.  Not sure you can find a mountain big enough to carve all the Steelers who ought to be on there and I by no means am a Steelers fan.  

....you're right....and I'm also probably one of the few who would put Bradshaw on there, I'm guessing most would put a defensive guy, Franco or maybe even Mike Webster.........but 4 Super Bowl rings as a QB has got to get you a spot. 

RJM posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

Philadelphia:  Steve Carlton, Reggie White, Julius Erving, Bernie Parent

I was thinking Mike Schmidt and Bobby Clarke. Clarke was the face of the franchise. Unfortunately he tarnished his image by becoming the GM.

That's two votes for Michael Jack. I love him, too, but Carlton's numbers are just ridiculous.

Back in the 70s, all of my hockey coaches were transplanted Canadiens. They all hated the Flyers, and I adopted their bias. However, everyone loves Bernie, and even with my completely objective hat on, I still think he was the most important player in their glory years. 

Last edited by MidAtlanticDad
RJM posted:
RedFishFool posted:

Are you asking about towns that they played in or the hometowns in which they grew up, etc?

If the former then you are basically asking about towns with major league league franchises ,etc?

I'm asking for the best player in the four major sports in the pro sports town you supported growing up. I grew up in New England. I also lived in LA and Philadelppjia long enough to have an opinion. But they're not my teams.

Then Gibson, Brock, Flood (And Shannon, I guess)

No football, basketball or hockey on my Mt Rushmore

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.