Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I kind of agree on paper you have a valid point. I have only heard about WS and Hanover. I have seen Cox and Menchville play. Looking at the stats this is how I have it

1West Springfield
2 Hanover
3) Cox
4 Menchville

I am from Virginia Beach so I may be slightly biased, but I think Cox is 3rd best maybe at worst 4th best in state.
If I had to guess Cox wins Tuesday night and probably loses in the second game. If Cox can get 6 or 7 inns out of their ace I any give them a respectable chance in Semis and if they when that then how you could not give them a chance to win the whole think? Am I wrong?
Well I have seen a lot of ball in my day I played in the minor leagues for 3 years and go to as many HS baseball games as can work permitting. So it is just my opinion I could very well be wrong. Through my connections with out of the area teams and the two eyes on my head that was my thought feel free to share yours. That’s why I started the thread.
I can tell you that West Springfield has not seen a pitcher like Orlan this year. Someone said in another thread that he "lives in the low 90's". The best information I have says his fastball is mid to upper 80's. Regardless, he will be a challenge for WS. With Wahl on the hill for WS, this could very well be a 1-0 game. Slight edge to WS at home.

Derner for Lake Braddock was very sharp in shutting out the #1 ranked team in this area, Westfield, in the region semis, but Westfield, even only having lost only 1 game all year, was not considered a particularly potent offense, so this is a curious matchup for me since Hanover HAS a potent offense. But we always hear good pitching will beat good hitting so.....Derner has to be fantastic for Braddock to win..slight advantage to Hanover at home.

I only know Menchville by reputation and by what I've read on these boards, and I guess Cox has to be pretty good to have taken them down in the regional final.

Haven't heard much from any Battlefield or Stafford fans. Make a case for either of your teams pulling off, what would appear to be, a MAJOR upset of Cox or Menchville....
Rollapair just curious have you guys ever heard of Cox before the states. Just a question because you statement about “you guess Cox has to be pretty good” sounds like you haven’t heard much about them and their rich history. I think Cox has a great chance I guess I will go along with extalent and his statement that Cox is 3rd best maybe at worst 4th best in state.” I think Cox is going to have to hit to win they have all the rest of the pieces to pull it out’ which I know many will say is an upset”. You are right I have heard that WS has some kid throwing low 90’s so seems like besides Cox and maybe 1 or 2 other teams all state teams have a guy bringing heat should be a fun Tournament.
quote:
Haven't heard much from any Battlefield or Stafford fans. Make a case for either of your teams pulling off, what would appear to be, a MAJOR upset of Cox or Menchville....

STAFFORD:

COACHING: Tommy Harrison - 10 year player with the Richmond Braves. First year at Stafford, REALLY coaches to the strength of his team. Doesn't try to do too much as coach. Gets the most out of every player. Appears to be an excellent motivator, he WILL have Stafford ready.

PITCHING: They do not possess the 90 mph heater, the likes of a Mike Kent or Ethan Carter. They do have an exceptional left hander in Dan King, but I don't know if he'll get the start tomorrow as I think he threw on Friday. Daniel is VERY NICE, my guess is mid 80's with excellent location of all pitches and has a lot of strike out's on the season. Dan's had a great season, if he gets the call, he'll be ready and I am certain he will do well. They have 1-2 more lefties I would say throwing in the low 80's and a righty probably also in the low 80's. With the exception of King, I did not find them to be a strike out kinda club, but rather a get ground balls, fly outs and then play solid defense.

DEFENSE: Very solid, fundamentally sound defensive team. They do not give you extra outs, need I say more.....

HITTING: I've seen them hit a number of home runs, in VERY KEY situations, although it's rarely the same player which means you never know.... They are a contact hitting team that advances runners and are very good at executing the hit and run.

The key will obviously be how well Stafford can handle the likes of Carter and Chrismon, but Stafford's seen hard throwers in the Commonwealth this season as well. Carter's always ready for the big game, it'll be up to Stafford to take advantage of any/all opportunities.
Last edited by Flying Dutchman
Orlan "lives" in the upper 80's but can reach the low 90's. He also has a change but it's his curve that is the killer pitch. You don't get recruited to UNC without strong stuff. Of course, being a lefty helps.

Just my opinion, but I think Deep Run will have trouble up there. Unfortunately Deep Run has a way of making mistakes that cost a run here and there throughout a game, and sooner or later that will bite them. It's sooner on Tuesday.

Flip side, Hanover -- very polished team, threats throughout the lineup, not unusual to go through an entire game without any mistakes of any kind. With Mayers on the mound, whoever comes down to Hanover Tuesday is toast. Hanover will need their # 2 and #3 pitchers to have the game of their lives to win the semis, but the quarterfinal should be theirs for the taking.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
I agree with Midlo Dad; I'd expect Jake Mayers to blow through the Lake Braddock lineup with little trouble -- they have only seen pitching like his once this season, vs. West Springfield with Bobby Wahl on the hill, and that didn't go too well for LB as I recall.

As for Deep Run, they'll see Wahl at West Springfield, which hasn't gone well for anyone this season; there's a reason that he's already committed to Ole Miss as a junior, and that the pro scouts are salivating over him, and I think Deep Run will find that out... WS will have to swing it better than they did in the NR quarters and semis, but I'd expect Wahl to prevail in a pitcher's duel.

On the other side of the bracket, I don't see either Cox or Menchville having any trouble with their NW region opponents; too much firepower on both sides of the ball for either Battlefield or Stafford IMHO.

So I'd predict Hanover, West Springfield, Cox and Menchville in the final 4; those were probably the top 4 teams in the state all year anyway (with apologies to Westfield...), so it's only fitting. Both of those semifinal games should be great, and it's hard to pick a final matchup -- but in the end I'm picking Hanover to win it all (too many of the Richmond Braves '09 and '10 National team members on that team for anyone to beat...).
Last edited by gr8day4bsbll
Rollapair, Let me help localbaseball out. Cox has a very good team that has come along way this year. They only have one D1 Recruit *Chris Taylor UVA* I may be wrong the starting pitcher Salter may be D1 as well I haven’t heard though if he is? Then their #2 pitcher Ryan is another one that has potential to play D1 and not sure why he is not? They also have two juniors in Kyriacou and Boch who have underachieved this year in the power category. Kyricou batting 429 and Boch was right around 400. BUT NO HOME RUNS we were expecting 4 or 5 a piece from them. But in the playoffs their bats have come around both have averages 600 or better from districts and regionals. Not to mention the lower half has hit the ball very well. Long story short they are team to be taken serious just as any of the 8 teams should be. However, as much as I hate to say this I see them losing in the second round unless both aces go 6 or 7 inn in both games. I like anyone chances if they make to the championship game.
gr8day4bsbll, I agree with you the final 4 you have is right on. Cox should be there, Menchville has too much pitching and coaching not to be there, Hanover from what I have heard has a lot of talent plus that Richmond area always produces good ball, I haven’t heard much about WS, but I just guessing that they will be there just from what I heard about them on this thread.
Riverbaseball24 is correct about the brackets. Cox, if it can get by Battlefield, will meet the Hanover/Lake Braddock winner.

ball4- Menchville's pitching staff is IMO the deepest in the state with three D-1 signees: Carter (USC), Armistead (VMI), Chrismon (ECU) and a 4th in Cotton that may be the best of them all. I believe Carter and Cotton have both topped 90...not sure about Chrismon and Armistead, but I suspect both are in the upper 80's. Pitching will not be an issue with them.
When they pitched in their district tournament, their speeds were (at the game I saw):

Carter: 87-91 - consistently 88-89, hit 90 once & 91 once
Chrismon: 85-89 - consistently 87-88
Cotton: 87-89 - consistently between the two

From what I've seen, Carter & Chrismon are their PITCHERS... Cotton & Armstead are guys that can pitch. Armstead may not even see the mound in the tourney as he is valuable in CF and the other 3 are so effective, but he is similar to Cotton. Also, with the tourney starting on Tue and ending on Sat, everyone's #1 can come back and throw in the Championship game.

Carter lives on the outside with his FB & slider, same with Chrismon, although, Chrismon mixes in a curve more often & will throw it in any count (MANY 0-0 curves vs IR). Both guys have excellent command of the outside corner and live there while carrying a very low walk rate.

Cotton is FB/Curve, but doesn't have the command of the top 2 guys... but still, a live FB and an above average tilt on the curve.

They have a legitimate ROTATION... If they score 5, they win games.

Oh, and Cotton is going to Miami Dade College as well... and Chrismon is only a Junior, although he is already committed to ECU.
Last edited by RiverBaseball24
**** there is no lost love between riverbaseball and longtoss. Hey longtoss, I think you are way over confident for a team that has played a lot of close games. I with you, I would like to see a Cox Victory or Menchville, but calm down did you play ball with riverbaseball or something why so hard on him? Maybe you should have a beer and run a lap or two you are way to critical on a HS web page get a life dude.
I haven't seen the other teams..but I can say that as far as Deep Run or Hanover, I have to go with Hanover.

Anything can happen, that's why it's baseball, but they just seem to have most bases covered.

Hitting : They've got some speedsters that can hit for contact and pop. They also have alot of big boys who seem to be solid athletes, with good eyes at the plate and alot of power.

Pitching: They've got several kids that can pitch a few innings as a stretch effectively, which helps them greatly in my eyes. The big RH they pitched some against Mills Godwin was pretty effective throwing from the sidearm slot. He never came out of the stretch, so I'm assuming that's his role....middle / late.

Fielding: GREAT arms and range in the middle. Their 2B reminds me alot of Dustin P. for the Sox. Great range and a good, QUICK arm. Outfield seems pretty solid as well, with good arms and what they may not have in outright speed, they make up for in technique and breaks on the ball.
some of the posts on here have hit beyond the lowest of the low. maybe hs hoops or hs football website went down for a day or two and they came over to this one?

will be pulling for an eastern region team to get a championship for us again since PA back in 2005?

also hoping game is decided on field without any controversy
My crystal ball was working pretty well this time.

Hanover wins as Jake Mayers shuts out Lake Braddock and younger brother Eric Mayers nails a 3-RBI double in the 1st on the way to a 4-0 win. Eric's ball hit off the yellow fence cap and came back into play, missing being a grand slam by maybe an inch.

Deep Run loses 10-5. No report on how they played, but with Orlan pitching, I'm betting some errors contributed to those 10 runs.

Hanover moves on. Their key to winning it all will be to find enough quality innings to win Friday without using Jake so that he can be fresher for Saturday. If they have to use him in relief Friday, that might help them advance, but it would leave him compromised for Saturday a la Deck McGuire in 2007. Hanover does have 3 other decent arms. One of them needs to be "on" this time. If it's not the starter, quick hook and try the next guy.
Wow, bad day for him.

Sure would be nice if there were a story somewhere, like in our area newspaper, about the game so that we could quit speculating and scrounging around for information. Sigh.

As for Deck McGuire, he was ACC Pitcher of the Year and has placed himself in the running for being a top draft pick with a big-money bonus next June. GT has done an outstanding job helping him develop his change up and adding 3-4 mph to his fastball over the past two seasons. He's gone from being a guy who can dominate high schoolers to a guy who can dominate in the ACC.
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
Wow, bad day for him.

Sure would be nice if there were a story somewhere, like in our area newspaper, about the game so that we could quit speculating and scrounging around for information. Sigh.

As for Deck McGuire, he was ACC Pitcher of the Year and has placed himself in the running for being a top draft pick with a big-money bonus next June. GT has done an outstanding job helping him develop his change up and adding 3-4 mph to his fastball over the past two seasons. He's gone from being a guy who can dominate high schoolers to a guy who can dominate in the ACC.

A story in the paper? I couldn't even find a box score!
Papelbon,

I double checked on McGuire.

He did lose his last start in the ACC tourney. He actually pitched very well for five innings but then the other team exploded on him in the 6th. Some bad defense was partly to blame.

But he won his first start in the NCAA tourney Friday night.

He did have a bad outing Monday, but bear in mind he took the ball with only 2 days off after throwing 121 pitches Friday night. I don't know who thought he could beat an SEC team under those circumstances, but it was a do-or-die game and they put their top arm on the mound. You see guys going on inadequate rest repeatedly in these situations.

I'm sure the Nationals are glad Strasburg was spared that treatment due to his team's earlier exit.
He better watch himself down there. College programs don't look out for arms. They are there to win. A very good pitcher from Northern Virginia is having Tommy John as a result of just what you indicated....taking the ball to help the team. He also pitched very well his first two years...but the overuse caught up with him.
Last edited by jdb1091
Am I wrong by saying that the extra day will give Cox the one up in the champ game? I think all three of our boys are D1 pitchers and good luck to all those other teams, my money is on Cox. Please tell me I am wrong; Im not go Falcons. Hey hanover good luck you will need all the luck you can get. I think im calling my bookie and placing 5,000 on Cox hun now throw strikes.
Even when you have 3 strong arms, you can only throw one of them at a time, and if the other team has ONE, in any one game you can be taken.

In Hanover's case, I'm not completely sold on their other options, but Jake Mayers has it in him to shut anyone down on any given day, and to go the distance.

I just might have to come up there Saturday, now that I could see two games on the trip!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.