Skip to main content

Wow, bad day for him.

Sure would be nice if there were a story somewhere, like in our area newspaper, about the game so that we could quit speculating and scrounging around for information. Sigh.

As for Deck McGuire, he was ACC Pitcher of the Year and has placed himself in the running for being a top draft pick with a big-money bonus next June. GT has done an outstanding job helping him develop his change up and adding 3-4 mph to his fastball over the past two seasons. He's gone from being a guy who can dominate high schoolers to a guy who can dominate in the ACC.
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
Wow, bad day for him.

Sure would be nice if there were a story somewhere, like in our area newspaper, about the game so that we could quit speculating and scrounging around for information. Sigh.

As for Deck McGuire, he was ACC Pitcher of the Year and has placed himself in the running for being a top draft pick with a big-money bonus next June. GT has done an outstanding job helping him develop his change up and adding 3-4 mph to his fastball over the past two seasons. He's gone from being a guy who can dominate high schoolers to a guy who can dominate in the ACC.

A story in the paper? I couldn't even find a box score!
Papelbon,

I double checked on McGuire.

He did lose his last start in the ACC tourney. He actually pitched very well for five innings but then the other team exploded on him in the 6th. Some bad defense was partly to blame.

But he won his first start in the NCAA tourney Friday night.

He did have a bad outing Monday, but bear in mind he took the ball with only 2 days off after throwing 121 pitches Friday night. I don't know who thought he could beat an SEC team under those circumstances, but it was a do-or-die game and they put their top arm on the mound. You see guys going on inadequate rest repeatedly in these situations.

I'm sure the Nationals are glad Strasburg was spared that treatment due to his team's earlier exit.
He better watch himself down there. College programs don't look out for arms. They are there to win. A very good pitcher from Northern Virginia is having Tommy John as a result of just what you indicated....taking the ball to help the team. He also pitched very well his first two years...but the overuse caught up with him.
Last edited by jdb1091
Am I wrong by saying that the extra day will give Cox the one up in the champ game? I think all three of our boys are D1 pitchers and good luck to all those other teams, my money is on Cox. Please tell me I am wrong; Im not go Falcons. Hey hanover good luck you will need all the luck you can get. I think im calling my bookie and placing 5,000 on Cox hun now throw strikes.
Even when you have 3 strong arms, you can only throw one of them at a time, and if the other team has ONE, in any one game you can be taken.

In Hanover's case, I'm not completely sold on their other options, but Jake Mayers has it in him to shut anyone down on any given day, and to go the distance.

I just might have to come up there Saturday, now that I could see two games on the trip!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.