Skip to main content

Son received the following email:

"Please make sure I have your most recent transcripts and test scores, you can email to me at XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com.  Attached is our XXXXXXXXX camp brochure, I hope you are able to attend.  I would also like to invite you and your parents to campus for an unofficial visit.  We would be happy to show you around and talk to you about XXXXXXXX University and our program."

Is he being "recruited?"  Or is this just a generic camp email? 
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A lot of variables and qualifiers here Cabbagedad.  I may have to PM you.  AC/RC initiated dialogue with a very personal email to son, sort of a "checking in" email.  Not a form email.  Son replied with brief update.  Then AC/RC replied with email above.

No phone calls yet (currently son is studying in Europe which could be reason).  Just emails.  The line, "I would also like to invite you and your parents to campus for an unofficial visit.  We would be happy to show you around and talk to you about XXXXXXXX University and our program," just threw me.  They can't be inviting everyone in a mass camp email for an unofficial visit can they?

FULL DISCLOSURE:  This is for basketballMy apologies to the HSBaseballWeb Community.  I've been revealed! Sorry, but there is no "HSBasketballWeb"   Part of me was thinking this was a bad idea to post this.......? 

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

Haha... I think this is still a great resource to ask those questions.  We just won't be as likely to be as dialed in on that particular landscape.  I would guess there are often overlapping camp and recruiting strategies.  I'd be glad to try to help as much as I can via PM but you may want to continue asking general questions on the forum as others undoubtedly will be able to contribute as well.

After considerable amount of back and forth via phone and email, NTGson was sent a similar invitation via email from the RC at a prestigious, private D-1 school, inviting him and us to a special weekend for an unofficial visit. He asked if  we would mind going. We went, and found that he was one of 35 or so other young men also invited to the special weekend. There was no opportunity for one-on-one conversations between the players and the HC coach. We learned that the baseball program is funded by the University for 5 (read that five out of permitted 11.7) scholarships to be spread over 27. The visit was an effective sales tool for the university and did not seem directed toward any particular player in the group.

In essence, that visit and tour of the school was pleasant but it was more of a cattle call and not at all akin to other schools' approaches to our son regarding an unofficial visit. In those instances the unofficial visits were one-on-ones for our son with the RC, PC  and HC and only when  verbal offers were made were we asked to be part of the conversation.

Thanks to all.  Yeah, I have a better feel for the baseball back and forthing, and the unofficial visits son has been on have all been via phone conversations.  This was the first time I'd seen an unofficial visit invitation thru an email.  Being for basketball, I just thought maybe they just do things differently? Don't know.  Or yes, like Nothatguy's story, they may be inviting everyone to an unofficial visit?  Hard to believe but it's a possibility.

Son home tomorrow from year abroad.  Will have him call the AC and chat him up, as per Enjoying the Ride's advice.  I will report back.  Thanks!

Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

#1 Assistant Coach, I see a possible big red flag here, but it depends upon how accurately you re-typed the e-mail when you were quoting it. 

It said that your son's transcripts and test scores should be sent to xxxx.COM.  Why would a legit assistant coach want something sent to a .COM address rather than a .EDU address?

Rick,

You raise a great point but I must say that it is due to my ham-handed tech knowledge that I supplied a .COM address (not knowing there is much of a difference).  I was just trying to disguise and keep anonymous the school and coach.  Maybe I disguised it too much.  I just looked at email again and it is a .EDU address. 

Son will call coach on Tuesday, as per Enjoying The Ride's advice, and chat AC/RC up to gauge just how sincere and interested in him they are. 

Thanks again for your input.  #1AC

Enjoying the Ride posted:

Not a stupid question at all.  Has AC/RC provided a cell phone number for you son to call?  If so, he should call the coach for more info. I'm guessing he will probably be able to tell fairly quickly if they are recruiting him based on how the conversation goes. 

Enjoying the Ride,

Conversation went well.  2018 hoopster (RHP) called AC/RC at the bold type cell at bottom of unofficial invite email.  Making visit in 2-weeks on a date and time of son's choosing, so does not appear to be a cattle call.  Thanks for advice on making the call.  They sound interested enough for us to make the 6-hour drive. 

Now to see if 2018 can politely ask to stop by baseball field on what will be an unofficial visit for BASKETBALL!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.