Skip to main content

One of the greatest gifts a father can give his son is his time. One of the greatest gifts a son can give his father is the appreciation of that time. I am a lucky man.

Over the next couple weeks we’re planning the summer baseball schedule. He’s eighteen now and it’s that last summer before he goes off to start college. He has worked hard in the classroom and on the field and will be fortunate enough to continue playing. As we looked at the schedule he looked at me and said, “Dad, you know what’s missing? We don’t have any true road trips. The out of town tournaments are far enough away that we have to fly.” A trip to Arizona is planned, as is a trip to New Jersey. If everything works out there might be a trip to Farmington too.

Over the years folks have asked me about what I thought the benefits of select or travel baseball are. I could give them the usual answers of quality coaching and competition. These are true benefits but what has really stuck with me over the past few years is the time that I was able to spend with my son. I’ve been fortunate in that I have been able to make every local tournament and every out of town tournament over the years. We might have a three-hour or a six-hour or even a twelve-hour trip to and from the tournament that he’s playing in. There might be two week travel in a row. But if we weren’t together traveling and playing ball during this time we would have been pursuing other interests. Those interests would have probably diverged somewhere along the way.

What I’ve learned over the years is that it’s the journey that’s important. The destination is seen in the minds eye but it’s the journey has turned out to be the most important and enjoyable part. T-Ball, Mustang, Pony, High School, Travel/Select, and now on to the next level – they’re all part of the journey. Well we have one more journey to make before the fall.

We’ve decided to drive a two thousand mile round trip to Phoenix and back. One more road trip is slated. We’re going to take a few days to get there and more than a few days to get back. We’re going to stop anywhere we want – Tombstone, the Grand Canyon. We’ll watch the sunset over the Davis Mountains. We’re going to stop in Winslow to see if “a girl in a flat bed Ford slows down to take a look at me.” We’ll marvel at the badlands of New Mexico. Wonder as the Rockies break the plains. We plan on living on pazole and tripas tacos for a week or two. If we find the worlds largest rubber band ball or the worlds largest stuffed jackalope we’re going to stop and look at it. I short we’re going to focus on the journey, not the destination.

My son and I are at a pivotal point and we both realize it. He’s no longer a boy; he’s becoming a man. We’re going to take this last summer to relive old times, enjoy and reflect on the journey, and get to know each other as men. Like I said earlier, I am a lucky man.
we see things not as they are, but as we are
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

stan - that was an enjoyable read.

You've discovered something valuable. Many in this country mistakenly believe that gold and silver will lead to happiness. You've found that the most precious commodity is time. It is worth more than all the gold and silver in the world if one learns to "spend" it properly. You are indeed a "rich" man.
Stan several years ago when my sons were 7 and 4 years old my wife and I stopped by a McDonalds in Manteo, NC on the way back from a trip to the coast. It was early on a Sunday morning and hardly no one was there. When we walked inside I saw this older gentleman wearing an old baseball cap standing in line with his wife. I couldnt help but notice he kept looking at us.

He finally said to me "You have a nice looking family. How old are your boys?" I told him and said thanks. "I have three boys and a daughter but they are all grown up now. You make sure you spend every second of your time you can with them. Dont miss anything. Because one day your going to be an old man like me and your going to be telling someone else the same thing I am telling you." At that time I noticed a tear in his eye. I saw and felt how he spoke from his heart. I never forgot that morning. I never forgot that man. I never forgot what he said.

And you know something? He was so right. I have found myself telling others the same thing he told me. So Stan, blow it out this summer. Dont miss a thing you dont have to miss. Enjoy every second you can with your son. Because one day your going to be an old man and your going to be telling someone else the same thing I am telling you.

Great post Stan!
Well stated, Stan. My son is only a 2013, but yet I've looked forward to last summer and the upcoming summer with great enjoyment. Not simply because of baseball, but mostly because of the time I get to spend with my son. He will be 16 in a week, but yet I can already sense the independence and growing up. Great to see, but sad at the same time. Enjoy this final summer with him and I'm sure you will always treasure it. Good luck to Stan, Jr. at the next level!
Very good stuff, well written, very true.

The summer after graduation is a special summer. The previous summer is anything but poignant since for most its one very intense "job interview".

However the next summer is a totally different experience and much more enjoyable. Saying goodbye to the past and hello to the future all in a ten week period.

For our family I would always bring my oldest son along on our baseball trips as well. He is a year older than my baseball son and has some mild speech and language special needs and never played organized baseball (a killer wiffle ball player in the backyard though). We would find always find diversions on these trips going to various theme parks or MLB games in California, Florida, Georgia etc and we all looked forward to these fun summer baseball trips.

However my baseball son's summer after junior year was also my oldest's high school graduation summer. One morning driving my oldest to school i was discussing the plans for the summer and he informed me that he didn't want to go this summer that he wanted to make money and work instead. I realized at that moment that he had made a big grown up decision and it hit me emotionally both the pride of that decision and the fact that something we always done and took for granted was now gone.

He saw the tears going down my cheeks and he asked what was wrong and I told him how proud his mother and i were of him and the young man he had become. After i said this we pulled up to his school and before he left the car he leaned over,tapped me on the leg and said "you did a good job dad."

A moment I will never forget.
Last edited by igball
stanwood and igball,

Thanks for sharing...great stuff. I hear you loud and clear.

I recently changed jobs within the same company so I could spend more time at home with my two youngest sons (16 & 14 years old), and wife. My youngest son really likes having Dad coach rec baseball full time. I missed quite a bit of my oldest son's high school senior year due to travel. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it....so a change was needed. I learned that to spend quality time, you have to be there with them. Skype and cell phones just aren't the same as being there.
This is an excelelnt post. My son is 5 school days from graduation. I have done pretty good at keeping ym emotions to myself. But, the time and enegry we as fathers of baseball players put into our son's lives can only be understood by baseball players and their dads. It is going to be tough summer and I too will do everything I can to enjoy time with my son.
It seems a few of y’all have been through this before and a few of you have this scene coming up shortly. All of you it seem to understand it.

I’d like to reference each response to my original post because you all have an innate understanding of baseball and the emotions that run with our son’s playing this wonderful game. And as we’ve all learned, it’s much more than a game to us.
Loved this post, Stan. It brought back some great memories. I was a minister for 20 years and resigned from my church during my son's senior year. For the first time in his life, I was able to travel with him on weekends. The two of us went to college camps together; I took him to showcase tournaments; we made trips for individual tryouts at several schools. It was heaven for me having that time with him.

What do I remember most about those trips? Very little to do with baseball. I remember discovering he shared my interest in independent films, so we would find little theaters in towns where he was playing and go watch obscure movies/documentaries. Then we would spend hours talking about them while we traveled to and from the baseball gigs.

When it was all said and done, those trips had little to do with where he eventually played college baseball. He asked me after he committed if I regretted spending all that time/money chasing that elusive baseball scholarship when most of the trips didn't lead to that end. I smiled and said, "I wouldn't trade those trips for anything in the world." He said, "Yeah, me neither."
Stan-

Great read...I thoroughly enjoyed your post, thank you! Our family plans on loading up the motorhome and heading to Omaha to check out a few CWS games this summer. On our way back from Nebraska, we're hoping to take a small detour and spend a couple days at the Grand Canyon, it should be great family time for the four of us. It's amazing how quickly 18 years go by. My son recently completed his HS Senior English Project. Basically it's a story of their life in written form, and a picture/video mantage. My wife and I watched the video last night, it was a trip down memory lane, he did a great job. He turned it in this afternoon, but I can't wait to get it back soon, it's a definite keepsake.

Coach May,

Your story hit home with me. I have a friend that I used to play pick up basketball with a few years ago, our daughter's also played basketball together a couple years back. Anyway, I received an email from a mutual friend on Tuesday. My friend had lost his oldest son (22) a week earlier. He was an Airman in the Navy, however I don't know if he was killed in action? I was in shock and didn't know what to say, but I sent him a quick note and said I'm sorry and if there's anything our family can do, please don't hesitate to ask. He replied, "thank you Craig for your support, we are exausted mentally and physically. Make sure you tell your kids how precious they are. You have a great family. I'm quietly cheering for Kyle and his baseball career." I still don't know what happened to his son, but it doesn't matter, all I know is that he's now in heaven.

My friend is the son of a famous retired MLB star, his dad wasn't around much when he was young. Due to his father's lack of participation in his life, he had chosen basketball as his number one love. But more importantly he was/is a very good dad, and it hurts to see him and his family go through this. Even during his pain and suffering, he wanted to remind me to make sure my kids know how I feel about them...he's absolutely right.
When my son was very young, I had a job that kept me away from home a lot. That changed and from about six years old, I ferried him around to various sports. Baseball really started to take hold at 7 YO. By 9YO he was winter training fairly heavily and we would travel over an hour each way two days a week to train with an older team. We would talk about anything and everything – I always spent time advancing him in his school subjects while driving along. At ten, we would make trips to Florida (50 hours) and Boys of Baseball Try Outs in Baltimore (22 hours). At twelve, when he played in Buffalo, we had 4 ½ hours round trip per game. For the past two years, he has played in the Toronto area – more than two hours away for home games - more for away. Right now with High School and Toronto ball running concurrent, he is going through a two week period at a pace of a game a day. We have some weeknights where we get home at midnight. Right now, I am sitting here preparing to teach him math after we get back from Toronto this afternoon.

Already this has been such an adventure and I realize the next four years are going to pass quickly. It eats at me that if he heads south to go to school, it’s quite possible he won’t come back. I see him 7-10 hours a day on school days. Serious Travel Ball, when they are gone weeks at a time into the south, will begin next summer. The break will begin.

A while back someone here posted “when they leave the room down the hall, they are really gone.” Time will be something to deal with then…
Last edited by Notlongtilicantcatchim
quote:
Like I said earlier, I am a lucky man.

Stan, yes you are, yes we all are!!

I was at your point last Summer and agree with your comments reflecting on this wonderful "journey." Most of us have sacrificed in one way or another to support our sons baseball and I can't believe that anyone here hasn't gotten more back than they gave! No regrets, only terrific, lifetime memories.

Lucky for us, the trip isn't over yet. I'm so excited as PrimeJr. will be coming home (after Regionals, and hopefully beyond) for a few months and playing in a local Summer League. He's bringing a teammate so we are a host family. The backyard batting cage will again be in daily use after being silent these past nine months or so. I'm so enjoying getting everything ready to go, patching holes, replace L-screen net, readying the pitching machine, getting my arm ready, getting new balls and other training stuff. But most of all, just being able to talk baseball everyday with him, once again!

lol
I love your post Prime. Mine came home Thursday. I was sleeping when I heard "whats up man!" I looked up and saw that big ole boy "man now" standing over the bed grinning at me. He gave me a big hug and then went to his room to start unpacking some things. I laid there for a few seconds just thinking about how good it was to hear his voice and see his face. And how proud I am of him. He wont be home but a couple of weeks. But I will take whatever I can get. He went downstairs and started his laundry. He later went outside and cut the grass and did the weed eating. Then he asked me if there was anything else he could do for me. I think that says it all really. We are all truly Blessed. We give a lot. But we get so much more back in return. God is so good.
The best part about travel ball is the time spent in the car having one on one conversations with my kids. This is when I really get/got to know what was on their mind. In the car was when they confided in me. When my daughter was a college freshman she said she thought of me every time the team got on the bus.

On one trip the car radio/stereo had shorted the day before a trip. About an hour into the trip I started laughing at my son. I was timing him. In the first hour he didn't go two minutes without talking.

My kids never used their IPods. We talked. I will admit with some of the 5:30am departures they slept. One time my son had gone to the garage the night before and set up the back of the Cherokee like a bed.

In my son's bedroom is a sketch of a tee baller morphing through his baseball journey into a young adult player. Now that high school ball is nearing the end when I look at the sketch my eyes well up.
Last edited by RJM
These posts are great, but my mascara is smearing.

Made a three hour trip Friday evening for a tournament, and then back Sunday night, with my 10yo son. The trips and camaraderie with the other families is loads of fun, but I especially love the one on one time with my son in the car. I can't help but think back to when my sons were infants and I'd look at them and wonder "who" they'd be. Watching them grow is so fun, and, at the same time, bittersweet, knowing that each day takes them one day closer to the day they'll leave the nest. For now, I just try to stay in the present, and enjoy the big grin he gets on his face when he reaches to turn down the volume on the stereo and turns to me saying "Let's talk about baseball!"
quote:
Originally posted by fast:
These posts are great, but my mascara is smearing.

Made a three hour trip Friday evening for a tournament, and then back Sunday night, with my 10yo son. The trips and camaraderie with the other families is loads of fun, but I especially love the one on one time with my son in the car. I can't help but think back to when my sons were infants and I'd look at them and wonder "who" they'd be. Watching them grow is so fun, and, at the same time, bittersweet, knowing that each day takes them one day closer to the day they'll leave the nest. For now, I just try to stay in the present, and enjoy the big grin he gets on his face when he reaches to turn down the volume on the stereo and turns to me saying "Let's talk about baseball!"

FAST; before I comment on your post I'm making an assumption that you ARE a baseball Mom (mascarra smearing) but you just never know these days !!!

Anywho, it's nice to know that there are so many Moms out there who get just as involved with their son's baseball play as many of us Dads do! I get to witness that at home as my wife is "one of you." Heck, she knows more than me in many aspects of the game. It's really cool to watch and personally I enjoy hearing the female perspective.

You go girl!! (that is, if you are a girl??) ha...
Enjoy it while you can. My 6 year-old T-ball player is now about to be a HS Sophomore.

Last week my wife and daughter had an overnight trip on Friday. I was looking forward to some time in the cage with my son after his baseball practice and then watch the Yankee game over a pizza. It all fell apart when he told me about his friends getting together at another friend's house and this girl was going to be there....
My t-ball player just commited to college to play ball. I will miss all of the travel ball - all of the car time - all of the shared interest - ready made conversation. I knew what a blessing it was to have the time when we were doing it - but I did not KNOW like I do now. Even if he never had the opportunity to play after high school I would not regret the experience - time and money - spent on baseball. He is a better person because of it. Maybe I am too.
Stanwood great post! Stan when you leave Nick this fall at Rice you better have a kleenex or two. Its going to hit you about a mile or two down the road.

My son just got home last Friday from his first year of college ball. Had a good season on the field and even better in the classroom. He has really matured mentally. These past 10 months were the fastest months of my life. I thought his senior year went by fast. It doesn't even compare to this.

Coach May, I already catch myself telling younger parents about our past experiences. I think some listen and others are just nodding their head hoping I will shut up. Haha.

I have only one regret. I wish we would of never played fall baseball until he was in high school. He played other sports in the fall, but we always played baseball too.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.