Skip to main content

Another question about placement, JT you would probably have some experience with this. I'm headed to an ODAC program next year, and I was wondering how to get placed on a summer team for the summer after my freshman year? I've heard from others that at many small schools it is essentially up to freshman to market themselves to summer teams, but any advice or personal experiences would help.

cadKID#2 is playing in the Cal Ripken League for the Silver Springs Thunderbolts... how funny is that? Oldest son is nicknamed Lytening and everyone knows thunder follows lightning... oh well...

Only difference is that the kids from Navy are also taking summer school... CalcII. They're in the classroom from 7AM til about 1, then off to the ballpark at 3, done around 11PM, 45 minute drive back to "the Yard", and then study in time to get up again and start all over again.

But they're the first to play summer ball from USNA, and are loving it.

cadDAD

quote:
Originally posted by jerseydad:
Anyone have any insight on the Cal Ripken Sr. Collegiate League? (Baltimore / Washington DC area)

Jerseyson gets his first start with the Youse's Maryland Orioles on Friday. Should be interesting to see him go up against college players!

My son played on the express last year and had a great time. Enjoyed his host family, competition etc. All-Star game was done 1st class.
quote:
Originally posted by AcademyDad:

cadKID#2 is playing in the Cal Ripken League for the Silver Springs Thunderbolts...

I had the pleasure to see AcademyDad's son (cadkid#2) and Jerseyson go toe to toe tonight in the Cal Ripken Collegiate league.

1st at bat Jerseyson was able to get CK2 to ground into a double play. 2nd at bat CK2 smashed a double against Jerseyson. Unfortunately the game was stopped because of lightning so I didn't get to see the rubber match between the two. I'll guess we will call the night a draw between the two. Fun stuff!
Last edited by jerseydad
quote:
Originally posted by JT:
WHEW...
...summer finally over. JT, Jr experienced living away from home for the first time and had a blast. The team struggled, but I think the lad had a great time and for the most part a good experience with the Chaos. Now he has a well-earned 6 week break before fall ball.

We're still playing... regular games through this coming Sunday and then possibly a tournament that could last up to two weeks (until August 15)!
Thanks TPM, I have been looking over the website for a while but was not sure how the competition was compared to other leagues. I may go watch some of the playoff games this weekend. I am not sure that I will be able to tell how it compares with other leagues, though I am sure it will look better the the High School ball that I have been watching these past 4 years.
floridafan,

I really can't give you a comparison as this is the only collegiate summer league I have seen. I can tell you there are quite a few talented players and the competition has been pretty even throughout the summer. It is a tough schedule as they play 6 nights a week, although the rain this summer has been a battle and many games have been cancelled.

Leesburg is without a doubt the most succesful franchise as far as fan support goes. They seem to average around 800 per night while many of the other teams are lucky to get 100-200. It seems Leesburg has been able to tap into the local retirement communities and they come out in droves for a free baseball game and a very good inexpensive snack bar.

In this league pitching seems to be pretty dominant. Team batting averages are lower than I thought they would be but that is probably due to the change from metal to wood. At this late point in the season there are only about 6-7 players hitting over .300.

Players arrange thier own transportation to games, there is very limited practice time once the season has started and jobs are difficult to come by as the players have to be at the parks pretty early everyday.

Moc1 should be able to give you a better comparison as he has two playing, one in Florida and another up North.

Hope this helps
floridafan

My son plays for Leesburg but TPM's description is a little less than accurate. Quite honestly his summer has been mediocre at best.

You will need to check the website to see if Sanford is playing at home this weekend. As I type Leesburg is leading Sanford in an elimination game 2-1. Hopefully they hold the lead, but if they do Sanford won't be playing this weekend. Even if Sanford wins they will probably be a guest. elsewhere.
From another thread posted by Moc1, who was at the game

Posted July 22, 2008 10:00 AM
From the Florida Collegiate League website:

"Jimenez, EZEKIEL Show Power on All Star Day"

"Jimenez finished third in the Home Run Derby. Lightning teammate Joe Ezekiel (Lafayette College) won it, 7-5, over Steve Sabins (Oklahoma State), a Winter Park Diamond Dawg."

"In an intriguing twist, Ezekiel wasn’t even on the All Star roster. According to him, Viola asked if Ezekiel wanted to participate and he said yes."

"He has amazing power," Viola said of Ezekiel. "We’d like to transfer it from batting practice to games."

I was at the game and Joe launched some moonshots that are still going.

Proud Mom and Dad were in the stands and received high fives from all the Leesburg Lightening fans as well as quite a few others. His future looks bright and should have a banner year next year at Lafayette.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.