Skip to main content

Fall is the time when top elite summer baseball travel teams are in the process of solidifying their rosters for the summer of 2006. It is an important time for 07s and 08s, looking to get exposure at the next level, what ever that may be. It’s also the last “travel ball” summer for the 06s before moving on into the college ranks or MLB.

Who’s playing for whom???

Illinois Orioles, Wisconsin Blazers, Top Tier, Norwood Blues, Lombard Lightening, Burr Ridge Barons, Indiana Yankees, Southern Illinois Bullets, Tinley Park Thunder, Humboldt Travelers, Bloomington Normal, Legion Teams, etc, etc……..???? Players…? Coaches…?

“That’s the true harbinger of spring – not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano but the sound of a bat on a ball.” ~ Bill Veeck
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Illinois Orioles 18u team is taking shape. A few new faces so far, Joey Dispensa from Rita, Cedric Redmond from Joliet Township,Seth Blair Rock Falls, Lennel Mcgee from Mt Carmel, Louie Johanns from Naperville Central, Andrew Hagins from OPRF, and a couple guys making decisions. Couple old Orioles back, David Reynolds from Sandburg, Brian Lambert from Pontiac, Steve Crnkovich from Downers South. Few more pitchers and a few more positionals coming soon...
We will start Winter workouts next month and go every week untill end of Feb . We will play at ND, SIU, Purdue, ISU, UofI, and a couple Perfect Game events.
13 yr MLB (White Sox, Pirates, Marlins) Vet John Cangelosi will work exclusivly with our positional players and the pitchers will work with former Pirate Bill Copp. The instruction in the winter will be position specific and we will work hard.
We will have teams for 07- 08, 09 and younger for anyone interested in getting involved.(PM ME, email duecedoc24@aol.com or go to Cangelosibaseball.com email John at CBA10@comcast.net) Top exposure, professional coaching, great college coach to Summer coach relationships, great facility, and just as important , the competition level played will be second to none.
Good luck to all prospective players looking to continue your playing careers at the next level, and remember if your not working at your classwork as hard as your game , your missing the big picture....
I'll take a shot since I don't believe there are any other Bloomington/Normal posters on here.

B/N essentially has a Legion type of set up, though no longer affiliated with American Legion. New organization run by a Board made up of players' parents. Last summer had 3 18u teams and 4 16u teams. Made up of players from B/N's five high schools: Bloomington, Central Catholic, Normal, Normal West and University High. I assume tryouts will be in April, as they were in 2005. Head coach of Bloomington Gold, the top 18u team, has been Steve Clapp the last two years. He is the Bloomington High coach.

Players lost to graduation from the 2005 team:
Alex Berta - Normal West - Edgewood College
Eric Birky - Normal West - Lincoln Land C.C.
Cory McCullick - Normal West - Edgewood College
Mike McMillan - U-High - Bradley
Ben Reeser - U-High - Illinois
Drew Stephens - Normal West - Lincoln Land C.C.

Players I would assume will be returning to the Gold:
Scott Evans - Normal
Louie Joseph - Central Catholic
Craig Lutes - Normal - Illinois
Tyler McNeely - U-High
Brett Moore - Bloomington
Jonathan Moore - Normal
Michael Reu - Bloomington
Jason Solberg - Bloomington
Luke Stewart - Normal West - Georgia
Zach Williams - Normal West
Zach Zwaga - Normal West - UIC

Since I'm not an expert, I won't even try to name who may take the spots of the departed players. Quite a bit of talent in town though, so I would expect the Gold will continue to be fairly competitive with most of the travel teams named and with Legion competition.
Here is our roster so far. Still looking for outfielders, 2b, 1b, and Lhp. We should add another rhp soon.

Tyler Bullock C DuQuoin (Austin Peay)
Tyler Choate RHP-IF Carmi (SIUC)
Spencer Clifft RHP Huntingdon TN 07
Tim Dunn SS-RHP Bardwell KY 07
Brandon Gass LHP O'Fallon 08
Bryant George RHP DuQuoin (SIUC)
Lucas O' Rear RHP Nashville 07
Spencer Patton RHP South Central (Parkland CC)
Dillon Roark RHP Wilmington
Matt Weeks RHP West Frankfort (Missouri St.)
Lyle Winter RHP Pinckneyville 05
Daniel Palombi C Lexington KY 07
Last edited by SIBullets
Thanks ducedoc, CentralIl, and SIBullets. Just trying to get the baseball juices flowing again as we approach the winter/holiday baseball doldrums. Looks like great representation from the best teams from the south, central, and north east Illinois. SIBullets you had one heck of a team last year! Looks like you have a great foundation going into the summer of 06. CentralIl, watched Gold in a close one against ducedoc’s Orioles last summer at SIU. You guys can bring it! ducedoc you have a great eye for talent as usual.

What about the Blues, TT, and the Lightning? TT was loaded with talent last year, how are you guys shaping up for this year? How about the Cardinals and Humboldt? You guys have solid programs that never let up. Represent?

“There are two theories on hitting the knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them work.” ~ Charlie Lau
PBR,

Of course Top Teir will field a strong team. As will Norwood, Siu, Illinois Orioles, Bloomington, White Sox, Lombards, Mattingly Baseball, Illinois Northstars, Sparks 17's, Lakeside Cards. Has the making for a nice tourny right up here.
I can't speak for SIU, Central and the others
but my proclamations are from only parents of the kids and the kids telling me they are in. I wouldnt consider putting a name on this site without the peoples permission to do so.

Definitly right on about kids being unpredictable though.... Good luck to all the Summer teams out there. The competition level in this area is picking up again, like it used to be in the old days. Smokey, I liked the post and judging by the 600 veiws in a day , people want to know too..

Deuce
Thanks smokey. Maybe the Orioles(Cangelosi) and us can meet up again down here for another championship trophy. I'm ready to start now. I have only put up names with permission. There is a long way to go till summer, most will be there a few may not. Who knows. Either way we will be playing baseball next summer. There are a few rated highly on the PBR lists and baseball america lists that I havent added yet just in case something happens.
Last edited by SIBullets
SIU,
you had to bring that game up did'nt you..lol
Look forward to seeing you guys this Summer. Summer means the work starts for the guys and ends (for the most part ) for us. Anytime I can put my team in a situation to play against talent like yours and the others mentioned, that to me is what its about. You want to be the best you got beat the best. Smokeys post got my juices flowing and here we are stuck talking about it. Smokey, you did this on purpose! Look forward to seeing you guys soon and say hi to Coach Halstead and Todd for me. Good club, ran professionally and it was our pleasure to have met up with you guys.
What a difference 3 years makes!
3 years ago it was the Norwood Blues with a weak schedule and virtually no competition.
Now there are enough top programs for all the players in Illinois and the surrounding area.

Alphabetically listed.

Illinois Orioles with Bill Copp
Indiana Yankees with Buddy Swift
Lombard Lightning with Bill O'Brien
Southern Illinois Bullets
Top Tier with Todd Fine
Wisconsin Blazer's with Andy Stack

That's some Big Time opportunity for our kids!

Imo, the next big thing would be for a couple of these solid program's to combine for Jupiter
and East Cobb type tournaments.

How good (for example) would the Blazer's be if they were to get pitching help from the Oriole's!?
I'd be inclined to think that team would win or come very close in Jupiter.
Last edited by soxnole
Breaker, what is local to you and I is not for some others. As far as those kids are concerned. I know of them all as well as all the coaches do or should. I worked with Allen when he was young and may again very soon. Herrera played for me last year and I love the kid to death. Cole is happy playing with Rich and Norwood. I live in Aurora , my guys are from everywhere though. Local , Northern Ill.
Soxnole,

That is the way it should be in a perfect world. Although the Blazers pitching is pretty dang good without anyones help, but i realize you just made an example . I totally agree with you , I think everyones vision is similar in some respect or another. More importantly then who is where, is it spreads out the talent and it spreads out the guys who are committed to teaching and running these teams. Your program is only as good as the people who surrounds it.
In the end maybe one of these programs will build that. We plan on doing Jupiter every Fall because it is one of the best things out there for exposure. Plus Cangelosi and the Perfect Game guys are good friends.
Teach the game, exposose the kids to the next level, and make some life long memories , that pretty much our plan.
Hope your son gets off to a great start down there. Good luck to you both.
deucedoc,

There is no argument here about the level of exposure associated with the tournament in Jupiter. However, people on these boards have said over and over that if you're not in TOP baseball shape you can hurt yourself by attending such a high profile event. With many of our state's top baseball players being 2 or 3 sport athletes and just finishing their football seasons and already in basketball mode, how can they believe that they're ready to compete against the country's best in Jupiter and show their skills to all the scouts and college coaches?

It might be great marketing to promote a team that "goes to Jupiter" but you better be sure that the players are ready physically and mentally. I'd be especially wary of the pitchers and whether or not their arms are in game shape. November for northern players can be cruel. JMO.
Last edited by itsrosy
Rosy,

Thanks for the advise, I will keep it in mind when we go next Fall. A) I wouldnt consider taking a football guy who hasnt thrown. B) I wouldnt go down with unrealistic ideas of winning a National Championship , yet. C)The tourny is usally in Oct not Nov, D) I am not promoting anything, or anyone. E) I played in two Connie Mack World series , won one, played on a # 1 Nationally ranked JC team, played in the Big Eight, have a single A ring a Double AA ring , played in a couple all-star games professionally and I dont' need advise on taking care of my pitchers arms in Nov.

I have done this a time or two ,and if it is your intent to make me look inferrior with this ridiculous post,nice try, its kind of funny. If you think I work for PG you are wrong, if you think I would go to a Jupiter Tourny without a team that is competitive you are wrong, and if you think my team is going this Fall , you are wrong. I am a coach answering a post on what the Summer teams plan on and with who. Nothing more.

By the way, my pitchers shut it down in November and the better part of December.
But again thanks for the advise, Its like I tell my guys, get as much advise from as many coaches as you can..
Pretty bush return post Rosy. Good luck to you guys too.
Deuce
rosy, your a little out on a limb here.

There is no finer pitching coach, imo, in Illinois than the deucedoc, unless he works for the White Sox.

My son and 2 of his HS teamates played in Jupiter in 2003...in October. Tim Dennehy was spectacular with the Indiana Yankees. Ruairi and Matt McFolling benefitted from the experience as well.

I think the vast majority of the players ...certainly on top teams....like deucedoc's...are 1 sport players...at least they are not football players as a rule. In our case, all 3 were playing fall league for OPRF and traveling with the Yankees.

Jordan would benefit greatly by being seen and competing in Jupiter. Maybe deucedoc will find a spot for him!
deucedoc,

Whoa! I never intended to cast any dispersions on you or your organization. I was just pointing out a few things that I've learned by reading some great posts on this website. I apologize if my comments were offensive. Again, they were not intended to be so.

Obviously I respect your background and should have been more careful in choosing my words.

I'm a parent of a HS junior and just love this game. I applaud all coaches and teachers who give of themselves to help any and all Illinois HS ballplayers.
Last edited by itsrosy
Corky,

You know that Jordan's year with the Gravel taught him more about the game than all other years combined. I am proud that he had the opportunity to play for Sam and with such an outstanding bunch of young men. He still says that he doubt's he'll ever play for a better coach and teacher than Sam Sorce.

Our best to Kyle.
rosy,

I accept your apology and I hope you accept mine as well. I too will watch what post I respond to and the words I use. Kind of felt ganged up on there between you and PBR. I have respect for what the guys with your organazation are doing for the kids in this area. Todd, Jeff, Sean S, Sean D, all good guys working hard for your team. That is all good.
I took offense to the part of your post that implied that I am using perfect game to "market my team." My team will market my team. Perfect game is just an option, a very good one in my opinion, but we will be doing other things as well.
I would like nothing more then to have all the top teams in the area get together with some of the Schools in this area and do a nice Tourny in our back yard for a change.
I guess PBR got me going when he talked about my proclaimations, blame him for the outburst. I am under a lot of pressure here, 41 and hitting the alter in 3 days.

Smokey, your the real blame... sitting back with a big stogey enjoying this arent you?
Lakeside Cardinals

Kevin Manson- Maine South 06
Charlie Capozzoli- Maine South 07
Mike Bradley- Maine South 07
Tim Barry- Loyola 06
Andy Parsill- Niles West 07
Jake Ehrenberg- Niles West 06
Matt Shimonavsky- Niles West 06
Tyler Ladendorf- Maine West 06
Matt Wietlispach- Notre Dame 06
Mike Kloss- Notre Dame 06
Mike Pagano- Notre Dame 06
Brian Cusack- Notre Dame 06
Mort Hart- Notre Dame 06
Nate Pierce- Notre Dame 06
Nick Robinson- Notre Dame 06
John Creely- Notre Dame 06
Joe Crespo- Notre Dame 07
Nick Pagano- Notre Dame 07

We may not get kids from all over the state, but we finished third at the NABF World Series and we are looking good for next year. We may get Chris Friedrich (Eastern Kentucky) and Couri Benz (Oakton) back next summer if they want to play when they come home from college. Bill Palmer always picks up a good player or two for the summer (Benz and Miles Clauss).
Couri Benz from Oakton is an over rated pitcher. But, im going to give him the credit that he can hit. We faced him twice in two years in the regional finals and our team just light him up. I found it odd to hear that he was one of the top pitchers in the state and the best in the public league. We just loved to hit off him. Instead of him being in the game he was to busy yelling at all his players, swearing at them for no reason and showing bad sportsmanship and he was also to busy turning his head around after all those home runs he gave up with in those two years.
Mr. Deucedoc:

I honestly don't know who you are, what organization or team you coach with/for. I'm not sure how I set you off, as you previously stated. Actually, I never addressed anyone in my seemingly benign statement (which, for the record, was the only time I chimed in on this thread). If I inflamed you, I apologize, with my 1983 Sox hat in my hand. I am just kind of curious as to what you actually took umbrage to? Was it the word "proclamation"? If so, the word was not intended to be used as a weapon, or to stir anything up. Next time -- if there is a next time -- I will chose my words more prudently.

Anyway, my apologies again. By the way, what team are you with?

Sean
Mr PBR,

I must commend you on your vocabulary, the words seem to roll off. In fact, if I didnt have a webster next to me, I wouldnt get through your posts. Like I said once, I simply anwered a question on who is playing for who. Listed what I thought to be the majority of my team. Wished all the other teams a heart felt good luck and went on. Then , I see that my current roster is a proclamation . Then I read on to see that I am marketing my team. In fact I am not much different from your group. I want to put out a good team, play hard,teach them something, and have some fun. Thats all.

I do wish you and your guys much success. What you are doing for the HS kids in this area is wonderful. There should be a whole bunch more like you.
Since I stated who my team was and you responded to my post , I assummed you read it. I have the Illinois Orioles. We are an 18u team .
Deuce,
First of all good luck to you this weekend. And second of all you still have time to get out~!! Bill, you are a good coach and you have some talented kids, I don't think PBR does anything but help promote baseball in our area and he does an excellent job. Everybody is jacked up about the upcoming season and winter time is for teaching. Go on your honeymoon and enjoy being away for a while. You'll want to be working out for 23 of 24 hours everyday after next weekend anyway. if you get my drift.... anyway I am new to this web site and iI enjoy reading everybodies remarks. You know where I live and where my son goes to high school. The program here in La Grange "ain't" to shabby. See Ya over the spring and again good luck OLD man. tom
deucedoc:

Sounds like you're getting married: congrats and good luck. You've got much bigger fish to fry than this. Again, sorry if I rattled the bear cage. It honestly was not intended. My momma always told me that message boards can only get me in trouble. It goes to show that momma is, and always will be, correct.

Congrats again. Best wishes.
Sweaty ,

Thanks a lot on the weekend. I feel like the non hitting pitcher whos on deck and the oppossing pitcher is chunkin it 95 with a hammer. Just kind of waiting I guess.
Tom , good luck to you and Dan, he will be a welcome sight for coach Brownlee down there. You guys will be real tough again this year , especially with leadership like Danny.

PBR, thank you, hopefully we can meet and you can see that we are in this for simalar reasons. We both love the game.

Good luck and thanksi
Illinois Orioles will look like this ,so far.

OF- Joey Dispensa St Rita
OF-rhp-Billy Boockford Glenbard West
OF- Andrew Hagins OPRF
OF-Lhp- Mike Kazmarek Andrew 07
INF- Louie Johanns Naperville Central
INF-rhp- Lennell Mcgee Mt Carmael
INF- Brian Lambert Pontiac
INF- David Reynolds Carl Sandburg
INF- Devon Foreman Hales Fran
INF- Scott Sexton Oak Lawn 07
C- Tyson Blazer Rockridge
C- ??
Pitchers
Cedric Redmond Joliet Township
Seth Blair 07 Rock Falls
Steve Crnkovich Downers South
Pat Kirchoffer Wheaton North
???? This is as close as we can get for now...
Sweaty has got something here….

How about it coaches??? What would it take to put together a Chicago Metro Boys of Summer Tourney? You could even include our brothers from down state. Duce and PBR could get it started. Hey, I'll sell the peanuts and Cracker Jack! Cool

Sweaty, missed you at the OPRF home game rubber match. greenjump I thought we were going to pace the outfield fence together.
worm
Last edited by Smokey
I think it would be good for the kids in all the programs, and its just plain good for our area. Do it at Triton, UIC, and Norhtern over a the course of a week or a weekend.

Top Tier
Norwood
Lombards
Orioles
Illinois North Stars
Magic
Sparks 17s
Top Tier 17s
Humbolt Park
Cougars
Mchenry Hurricanes

Very realistic and a good idea..

SIU Bullet,
Just heard from another SIU bound player who will help Cal in a hurry. Tommy Cerven is an Oriole this Summer...
OK Guys, I will throw this out to you. Midwest Sports Group, was going to host a major showcase event this summer at Hap Bruno Stadium in Chicago Heights. Most of the top 17s rostered on these teams mentioned would be invited. Instead, we can host a weekend wood bat tourney, which would be heavily scouted. 18u teams mentioned above would be invited as long as they have some 17u on the rosters. Let me know who is interested. We would do it mid-June after state playoffs. You can email me with your thoughts at midwestsportsgroup@yahoo.com. Coaches only!
Bullet,

He may not jump right in and catch but he will jump right in and swing it a bit. I am sure he cant wait to meet them Bullets. Johanns with me is also headed there.

Indians OF
The one thing I noticed about Tommy was he is
a leader in the dugout and plays the game so hard. He will have some small adjustments but he will be fine.
As I look at that list of team the top tier, ws academy and hurricanes being included, are they the same teams that were only in the consolation bracket at east cobb caba last year. Would they stack up against the norwood team, orioles or ls cardinals? Sorry if it sounds like I am knocking them I jus looked up there record at caba. I also saw that tt went on to a win down in Florida but was that tt or a combination of teams.
I beleive our roster is on http://www.eteamz.com/whitesoxacademy I'm no wiz on the computer but try it anyway.
White Sox 18's will look like this next year...
Kyle Williams ASU
Colin Bates UNC
Tim Harvey
Matt Abraham
Kenny Hanold U of Evansville
Danny Weston Il St
Max Hanner
Seth Hudelson
Matt Zicher
Nick Morreale
Drake Chillman
Ryan Hopp
Jordan Backes Quincy
Mike Kubo
Giovanni Cantwell UIC
and we are going to add 2 more over the winter

I would love to do a local tourney with any of those teams but, NO wood bat, it takes away from the game. It doesn't make any sense. They aren't going to use it(most of them if not all of them)for at least 4 years. Play the games the way we normally play all summer long. Most of the guys have decided on colleges already and with a small exception St. Joe's is the only one I know that uses them. So, whoever wants to put it together, that would be real cool to see. Our Coach is Austin Rappe and he can reached via e-mail at fallbaseball@hotmail.com thanks and I look forward to seeing some more posts on this and hopefully we can put it together. btw is top tier something special that I don't know about? Everybody talks about them like they're God or some higher power than the rest of us losers. Well let's find out the right way. And send these kids off to college the right way. With some lasting memories of playing against the best players in the COUNTRY right here in the midwest.
Sweaty, why "NO wood bat"? If these players are going to play in college, then they most likely will be using wood bats during the "summers" of thier college years. "Takes away from the game"? What does it take away, besides cheap hits? I would have to disagree with you on these comments. Why then does Cape Cod, CICL, and many, many more college summmer leagues use wood if it doesn't make any sense!

Wood or aluminum, it would be great to get all these teams together?
Last edited by Gamer
If there is enough interest from the area teams I can get some fields. I don't care if we use wiffle ball bats. Good Competition and less travel sounds good to me.

Only problem is that teams are probably just about done getting there schedules complete.. Most weekends are shot already.

For the 18's I think something during the course of the week might work, but that would take out the 17's, because of the HS schedule, and thats who the Schools would want to see.

Any suggestions on the matter? Does anyone know when the Stevenson JR showcase that Harvey Foster puts on is this year? Or Plainfields? I know they are mid june, and those days would be no good also.
If there are coaches out there who might like this idea contact me at duecedoc24@aol.com , or call 630 546-3304 and let me know. If not, good luck to all. How about a fourth of July
Holiday College Showcase Tourny in our area?
I know there are a few good tournys at this time but if the right guys get in the mix this could turn out to be a good thing for the kids looking to play at the next level. We have the teams , and the scouts will come.
We will have to move quick so get busy coaches.

Deuce
rosy, I didn't mean to knock any program or offend anyone that is associated with a program. I just asked about the results at the caba tournament which suprised me after reading all the things on this board. I did watch the tt team lasy year at bourbanais and I think Kenosha or racine. It doesn't matter if I think they can compete, I have no special interest in any of the teams. After looking at the results from caba last year I thought it was a reasonable question. It also brings us back to question that has been raised here numerous times, are the travel teams training or just spending time and energy recruiting. Thanks Mr. Rosy.
These summer travel teams always make everyone so touchy. The thing to realize is that there are too many good players around here to think that one team will monopolize on the talent. Add to that the fact that some kids are improving and some may have already reached their peak relative to others in their age group it is very difficult to predict ahead of time who will be stronger than the others.

Lineshot, having been around the TT Team a bit last year (my son played in 3 tourneys with them) I can tell you they will be very good, the disapointment at East Cobb not withstanding. There was a lot of talent there last year and my understanding is that more is being added. I also saw them at Bourbanais and even though they didn't play great baseball they still managed to win it. I also heard that the Hurricanes have lost some players so they may not be as strong next summer....but then again who knows what new talent they may bring in. I can also tell you that TT didn't just recruit they spend a lot of time in the winter working out and getting better. At least in the case of the TT 16's last year energy was spent on the players as well as recruiting.
fastball, Didn't try to make it a touchy subject as I just asked a question about results at caba. It seems like a lot of self promotion here from time to time. I do realize there are many good players out ther from many areas, I think I have named a few from time to time. As far as there workouts over the winter fball do they show up a a facility and softtoss each other and throw each other bp or are they working with coaches that watch what they are doing and have a specific plan to improve during the off season as this is one of the benefits of living in the great white north. I watched a practice last week that consisted of 1 coach with 15 players none of which were being corrected as one coach just couldn't cover all the players. Travel team, profesionally coached and all that. Again I think rosy took it presonally but I just was curious how the program was run, you never know maybe I will learn something even with my hard head.
Lineshot,

Fastballdad is correct. Here we are in November arguing semantics about teams that won't get together and play games until June. I can only speak for the team that my son played for last summer, and hopefully again this summer. Their workouts together during the winter months are very well organized and in a 2 hour period there is much accomplished. Lineshot, as for being accused of having a hard head, I'm right there with you.
Very well put FBDAD,

We have plenty of good kids in the area to put together all these good teams. The thing i would like to see is our Traveling coaches staying in our area so our Colleges and pro scouts can see them. The problem is getting good dedicated coaches to run the programs. Seems here in the past 2-3 years , we are getting it. Take advantage of it. Pick your spots when you must travel out, make sure its an event that is worth it $$ .
I dont think it should be about who is the best, we are in an area where it should be who is the best this year. Thats how close these teams can be. And most importantly , its for the kids on these teams not the coaches on these teams. Just look at the kids from our area on all these teams, the kids going on to school are going on to schools mainly in the midwest. That should tell you something. Certainly Perfect game events work because its another time that our Midwest guys see you. Plus the competition level is where the Division 1 kids should be playing agaist.
In my opinion, which means absolutly nothing, we as Summer coaches should realize that it would benefit the guys if we coaches started working together, and creating a good , competitive baseball environment, right here
where we live. Maybe everyone else likes spending a ton of money driving,flying, all over Gods creation to play the same game that could be taking place in our back yards. Not me.
Top Tier, White Sox, Norwood, Lombard, Orioles, Sparks, Magic, Playball USA, Kenosha, Seminoles, Cougars, Illinois Northstars, and on and on, lets get together and start making this area what it used to be in the Summer.
Whats better than a Oriole /Top Tier game, can't tell you because we are both busy running around playing out. I can tell you this, you take those two teams and you have what it supposed to be. Highly competitive and fun baseball. There would be a couple scouts there too.
Many of the comments are well documented. There is a ton of talent throughout the area that is now filtered to the many quality programs in the area. Coaches should band together and put their feelings aside. It is not about you, but it is about the kids. They are the ones who play the game and make the decision who and where they play for. Establishing relationships with the area colleges is a great idea. This is where a majority of these kids are going to play and what not a better forum for these kids to get exposure.
duecedoc:

You present some very good ideas. I've always thought that there is lots of high quality competition right here in our fairly large backyard of Northern Illinois.

You are correct in that most players, but not all, will remain in the region to play college ball and therefore strengthening the 'local' relationships is important.

Competing outside of the region is also important because some players are looking to play outside of the region. Nonetheless it is good to be exposed to competition and to receive exposure outside of our area.

What you propose makes alot of baseball and budget sense. Keep working towards this goal.
Gotwood,

We will definitly go out a bit. We will pick and choose and try to put the kids in the best situation. I just think some of the local coaches need to get on the same page and work to the same goal. We will lose an occasional player or even a handful of players every year to the South, thats ok and great for that kid, but the facts are the facts, our boys will for the most part be around here, (ILL,IA,IND, NEB,OH) Happens every year.
My son is years away but isn't it most important, to get the kids in front of college scouts? How does what you propose to do, compare against a Perfect Games event in terms of the # of college scouts attending, quality of schools represented, etc.? Additionally, I heard one of the best opportunities for our boys is to get them to a college's summer camp the summer before their senior year. Any comment on that as summer team coaches.
Last edited by Tuzigoot
I can tell you as a father of a senior in H S those college camps to me were a way for the college coaches to raise revenue for there clubs and not much more. To me, they seem to invite the kids they want to look at and then everyone else. Missouri for sure did it that way in my opinion. It is a toss up on whether it is worth it or not. The funny thing is as you get those letters in the mail and you start to compare them the first thing that pops out is the COST. My lord they range from 50.00 to 250.00 it is a joke. I mean the field is free,they own it, and the coaches are already getting paid so....what could the major dollar difference be? We had 20 players drafted over the last 5 years, we had 16 players drafted in the first four rounds over 2 years and so on..... It is a marketing ploy for them to use to intice you and your son to go there. But, if your son is not getting enough exposure from his High School program then by all means do what you have to to get him exposure. It was the most brutal time in OUR families life over the last 6 months. It is a business for these people and you get played if your not careful. Be aggressive and be smart. Do your homework on the schools your kids are looking at. First thing to do is check the website and look at the rosters and see if they are concentrated from an area or if they are all over the map. I hope this little tid bit helps all who are frustrated and still searching. Good Luck and good baseball. Let the summer begin boys. It would be fun to see those boys together, we can use all our connections to get the word out there. Let's do it.
Tuzigoot:

I am not a summer team coach but what has been discussed recently on this thread is an attempt for area summer coaches to agree to schedule games or tournaments locally with good local talent instead of chasing all over the country...that can become quite expensive...right guys?

Travel outside of the area would certainly continue but the amount could be reduced and goals could be accomplished locally...the talent exists here. College scouts would seek out this collection of talent.

In regards to Perfect Game showcases and other events, including chosen college camps, no one has suggested that these go by the wayside...these are important now and will remain so.
Last edited by gotwood4sale
sweaty:

Couldn't say that I disagree with anything you've said...I would add that some college camps are better than others but I would strongly agree with you that some (most?) really are intent on looking at recruits that they have already identified.

Doing your homework first on those schools you have an interest in is absolutely sound advice! Checking the website and roster can be very revealing.
Tuzigoot,

I am all for PG events and the exposure they bring. Understand that a showcase when your not ready can hurt you just as easily as a great one when your playing well. It seems as if all this talk of showcase and camps have detoured the things that make you better. Like instruction, like great competition to push you, I don't know maybe I'm in the dark on this.

I can only talk of my experiences and if look back at what got me to the next level, it was the fact that I played for great coaches,(tried to learn as much as I possibly could) and we played great competition, locally in the Chicago area and then at the end of the season , on the National level.
If I am a College coach it is part of my job to find you, not you find me. For the marginal player , it might be a little different, send some emails hit a camp or two where you want to go, but don't forget the part about getting better.

Again, Perfect Game is something that is very good, I am just saying we as Summer teams can hit those and still play some good ball right here.
Had a conversation with a disappointed father recently.

He related a "problem" that came up when his son and a couple of his high school teammates were working out together in the off season as part of a competitive summer baseball team.

Check the IHSA rules on more than one or two kids from any one team working out for a "summer team" in the off season, i.e., the fall and winter.

Might put your own eligibility in question. Those kinds of matters seem to "crop up" after someone wins something.
As you said il2008, it has to do with players from the same team working out with the various adademies and receiving instructions. This has nothing to do with the summer programs. They can workout with the various summer teams up until the H.S teams are selected. Once that is done they must stop until the season is over and then they are free to go where they want.
quote:
They can workout with the various summer teams up until the H.S teams are selected.

Dragon....Where did you hear this, please?

What I heard....Off season workouts for a summer travel team or other such all-star team by more than two (2) players from any high school team is apparently prohibited by IHSA Rules.

Best way to protect yourself is to get something in writing from your high school coach or the IHSA.
Dragon, you are right that they can work with the summer team until the IHSA baseball season starts. Where you are wrong is that no more than two players from the same high schoool, no matter what grade level can not participate at the same time. It is something that we have to talk to the kids about every year because not many kids understand the rule. It's crazy. but it is the IHSA rule. If they get caught, the IHSA will step in.
tuzigoot, Yes that is how the rule reads. I was first intorduced to the rule 5 years ago when three of my players signed up for the ASU winter camp and they wanted me to check to make sure it was legal. I called the IHSA for claification and was told that since the ASU camp was a instructional camp and didn't have competition tied to it, it would be illegal. Thank God that the coach at ASU refunded the one kid his money because of the rule. Some of the state schools have started having more than one section for the winter camps so more than two kids from one school can go. This goes for all sports, not just baseball. IHSA.org has a complete list of the rules. I hope this sheds a little light on a crazy rule.
I am not much of a self-promoter, but I can't let other teams get mentioned without talking about the 17 year old Sparks. They were the 2005 CABA State champs, Sparks Classic champs, and were invited to play at Notre Dame, Purdue, and the University of Illinois last summer. Our fall season was very successful, ending with the team going undefeated in the Lombard Lightning Fall Showcase. Team members include T.J. McFarland and Nick Rossi from Stagg, Mark Ahern (H/F), Brain Stroud (Providence), Tyler Newsome, Mike Vucsko, and Nick Pappas from Marist, Chris Chojnowski, Louie Soto, Diego Martinez, Dan Jilek, and Pete Balsam from St Rita, Tim Norman (Minooka), Dan McConlogue, Rich Forkin, Kyle Fraser, Trevor Willis, John Pastwa, and Matt Shilney from Lockport, Brian Bajer (Oak Forest), Robert Scumaci (De La Salle), Jon Merrick (Chicago Christian), Philip Wunderlich (Downers Grove South), Miguel Amesquita (Brother Rice), and Carter Kopach (Mount Carmel).

The Sparks train at their own 25,000 square foot facility located in Tinley Park. It has six cages with machines, three mounds, and 15,000 square feet of turfed infield area. The ceilings are 30 feet high. Players have access to the facility virtually 24/7 365 days a year. Team coaches include former pros Tim Newsome (hitting), Kirk Vucsko (pitching), Erik Pappas (catching), as well as Rich Forkin (Ultimate Sports Academy).

From top to bottom, from ages 10 up, the Sparks have firmly established themselves as one of the top youth baseball organizations in Illinois. Our reputation with college and pro coaches continues to grow, and we work as hard as anyone out there to get a player exposure to the right college for them.

If you have any further questions about the Sparks, their website is http://www.orlandsparks.com.
Gus21,

Phil played with my oldest son last year on the 2005 regional championship D.G.S.H.S. team. Phil's contribution at the plate was one major reason for their success last year all while playing up as a sophmore.

Assumes a leadership role this year on the team and would be surprised if he does not emerge as
one of premier hitters in the state. Deserving, as I am sure the others are, in a little exposure and recognition. Plus and most importantly, Phil is a good kid.
LSC and Deuce Doc.....your kind words are right on the money. Phil is a definite Division 1 talent. The one thing that gets overlooked with Phil is that he is turning himself into one heckuva defensive third baseman as well. Let's see now....great kid, fantastic left handed hitter, good hands, a cannon for an arm, I think that there are a few colleges out there that might be able to use Phil.
SIB,

We will have two. one will be 18s and one 17s and 18s. We are close to done or as close as I want to be from being done. I leave a couple spots open for late changes and so forth.

We are having our site done now. Cangelosi has one http://www.cangelosi.com but it is bad and we are upgrading. The new one has player profiles and is pretty nice.
I will post the guys we have involved with us a little later tonight.
If it is allowed.
O's so far........

Billy Boockford Glenbard West- ND
Deven Foreman Hales Fransican -UD JC
David Reynolds Sandburg -NIU
Brian Lambert Pontiac HS- Indiana U
Louie Johanns Naper Central -SIU
Tommy Cerven Monooka- SIU
Joey Dispensa Rita- UD JC
Lennel Mcgee Mt Carmel - UD JC
Andrew Hagins OPRF -UD
Tyson Blazer Rockridge- U of Iowa
Bobby Simmons Driscoll - U of Dayton
Mike Kaszmarek Andrew- 07
Brad Allen Geneva 07
Scott Sexton Oak Lawn 07
Seth Blair Rock Falls - 07
Nick Herrera Geneva UD
Anthony Maziur Oak Forest UD
Steve Crnkovich DOwners South UIC
Cedrick Redmond Joliet Township- UD

There are some others we are looking at.
Could use a couple 07 outfielders still too.

We will start our first workout in Tinley Park at the Sparks Travelers facility this Sunday. I beleive the 17 yr old Sparks team will also be there. Between the 3, there is a couple nice players going to be there.
Thanks Corky, There will be a half a dozen real strong teams out there from our area and about the same down south by SI Bullet.
Starting Sunday, Cangelosi will have our hitters and I will have the Pitchers. Looking forward to another productive season.
Forgot to mention 2 pitchers
Pat Kirchoffer Wheaton North UD
Luke Vail St Pats UD
Hope everyone has a peaceful, safe and happy holiday. 2006 should be a lot of fun.
Below is the 2006 Top Tier 17u Roster:

Bradarich, Michael - P
Niles North 2007

Burch, Matt - 1B
Carl Sandburg 2007

Cappetta, Pete - OF/INF
Montini Catholic 2007

Chmielewski, Nick - P
Carl Sandburg 2007

Crane, Kevin - OF
Crete Mone 2007

Godawa, Steve - P
Buffalo Grove 2007

Goldberg, Ian - OF
Lake Forest, 2007

Graham, Derek - INF/OF
Naperville Central 2007

Kennedy, Ryan - P
Libertyville, 2007

Levi, Jared - OF
Glenbrook North, 2007

Martinez, Gerry - P
Grayslake, 2007

McConnell, Cameron - C
Deerfield, 2007

McMurray, Casey - OF
Lyons Township, 2007

Monroe, Grant - P
Schaumburg, 2007

Rosenberg, Jordan - 1B/3B
Highland Park, 2007

Tolan, Josh - 2B
Highland Park, 2007

Trepel, Andrew - SS
Minooka, 2007

Van Asdlen, Brett - C
Minooka, 2007

Williams, John - 3B/P
Niles North, 2007

Two other impact pitchers will be transacted shortly.

Congratulations to all the players for being selected.

Let's get some games scheduled before everyones calendar fills up (Coaches - PM me if you would like to schedule some games).

Can't wait for those magic words, "PLAY BALL"

Warm wishes for a happy and healthy.
Last edited by 34/33
34/33, I had a question for you with these team like top tier. Please don't take it the wrong way. 1How much does it cost? Is it like the sox where they chagre you 2200 to play? 2. How much practice do these guys really get for ex, Monroe with his b-ball schedule does he make any or just show up for the games, Looking over the list I have seen most since 12 or so and know they are fine athletes and assume more play additional sports, they also have a long way to drive to your facility. I know thye practice with their hs I meant with the top tier group. 3. Do you think this really increases their exposure, don't know all but many Nick, Monroe, McMurry and so on are pretty well reconised from their hs play. 4. Looking over your game results from last year I was suprised by how much local playing your guys do, will that change at 17?
I am not trying to knock what people are doing just thought I would ask the questions. It came to me as I saw Monroes name and realize that heplays a lot of basketball and also I think went to Italy last summer for basaeball and I just wondered how all that worked out for say your team or is that why the number of players since you don't know who shows up? Thank for letting me know.
Sorry about my pathetic spelling in the last post. Again not trying to knock any program just asking what peopale feel they receive out of these program as far as practice, training. I assume most of these players take individual lessons during the off season, is that included. Also before some dad hammers me I am asking about the entire team, I am sure some make all the practices but how about the rest of them.
Lineshot,

Regarding practices, our kids do everything they can to make practice, it is very fast pace and it is great to be practicing when you have team mates that play at this high caliber (it will elevate your game). We have had app. 5 weeks of practice with another one at 4pm today. Our practices are intense with pitchers working off the mounds, lot of hitting and fielding drills for position players. Live hitting vs pitching in game situations will start in late January.

Smokey is right there with the price.

Our players do not just show up -
We carry 21 players with 4 players rotating every week to vist colleges or going to showcases. Our roster had to be announced early due to colleges wanting to send our players information and to get an early start on our media guide.

Exposure -
We try to have our area players reach the college and professional level by providing our players with national-level competition and superior coaching with an emphasis on skill development and exposure to college coaches and professional scouts.

It is also important to set high standards and encourage our players to strive to reach these standards. We place the athletes in high-pressure situations and give them the chance, not just to succeed, but just as importantly, to fail and learn something from the experience. Regardless of what level of baseball they ultimately attain we believe all young men leave us more confident and self assured for having participated.

Sorry to be long winded but we are very proud of our baseball program and it's tradition of excellence.

Please ask any of our parents or players on what they think about our 17u program. I am sure you will hear the same enthusiasim.
Thanks 33/34, what national tournaments did you play in last year and did you take your team or do you add players for them? How many players at your practice today? Thanks as I am just trying to get a grip on some of these teams and what is involved. It just seemed to me that I kept seeing tt at local tournaments last year, bourbanais, kenosh ect..

Thanks again
reggies1970:

quote:
Originally posted by reggies1970:
what is the the best program in illinois. looking for a team for next summer

Chicago White Sox. How much you asking for? If it's reasonable I'm sure Kenny can find you a spot. Wink

Seriously,what part of the state are you from? Highland Park? That may limit your choices to the Chicagoland area.

Welcome aboard the HSBBW.
quote:
that is a pretty sad case of affairs. hidden rosters. i guess it is an open market. must be tuff on coaches..

He...It is not "hidden rosters" in the case of the CABA World Series or CABA tournaments.

The player has to be on the tournament roster...could be as many players at 25-25. No hidden agenda of any kind. They play the preliminary rounds with certain kids to get to the Championship rounds. It is for the Championship rounds where they "fly in" pitchers.

Happened to us in Broken Arrow when we played Houston back in either 1999 or 2000.

No problem. Just have to gear up to play with the big boys.
Does any coach really want the kind of player who commits & then leaves? We checked a few teams and played a couple tournys with some teams to check them out before my son made any commitments. The coach asked if it was ok to list him as a part of the team. I took that as a commitment on the part of the coach and my son. I expect him to be part of a TEAM. You can't have a TEAM without commitment.
I could not agree more with Beenthere.

Last year we had a high profile pitcher on the 16's collapse from heat exhaustion in the first inning, prior to this incident he did not play or pitch in any games in that tournament (well rested).

In Georgia, we had a position player collapse by game 5 and could not play the rest of the tournament (pre-cautionary measures).

JMO
When you play in in an elite 18u tournament (usually down south) in humid heat with high intensity you better have players ready to step in (position players as well as pitchers).
It gets pretty scary when the oppositions pitchers are fresh and pumping 88-92 from game 1 through game 7. I try to have the batters drop down an ounce on their bats by the later games or games in August. Everyone is fatigued...
Been,
I have been to some long hot tournys. I do beleive that we brought some extra arms to those, but I believe those kids were playing with the knowledge of their other teams. All I'm saying is that for a player to tell a coach " I'll be there for you and the team" and then take a hike, shows some weak character.

I would add that if the program is not what was sold, the kid has a right to leave. But I thought we were talking about kids giving their word in December and dropping out before the season starts.
I say put your roster out there. If somebody wants to go elsewhere, who cares. I guess its part of the game. Not that it's the same thing because millions of dollars are involved in the majors. Though look at how Damon signed with the rival Yankess. He probably could've stayed in Boston for about the same amount of money. Where has the loyalty gone? There's alot to be said for old school players like Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken, and Robin Yount. These players stayed loyal and played for their respective team and city for almost 20+ years.
I don't know if Damon owed any Loyalty to the Red Sox.....he spent a small part of his career there. That said, it is fun to see the Travel Team Rosters and hopefully they will be out soon. I think some teams may still be far from complete.....new players are added in the Spring and even the Summer. The other thing is that these teams are constantly trying to improve so they want to see who looked good in the HS season.
Last edited by FastballDad
rebel,

I'm an old school guy most of the time. However, in this case I'm not so sure. I've read that the Red Sox's first offer to Damon was for 3 years at about 9 mil per year. Considering what he signed for and for how long, I don't believe that the Sox were ever prepared to go that long and for that much money. In that case, who wasn't being loyal? 3 or 4 mil per year is a lot of $$$. That being said I agree that with agents leading the way for their clients, they are empowered to get the very best contract that they can. Such is life today.
Last edited by itsrosy
Once again, the old White Sox academy 18's get no respect. I'm curious for a no respect team, did anyone else get as many kids signed early as they did? We will be traveling down your way SI Bullets, I hope our teams get a chance to meet up. I know Duece will not run from us. lets try to get the thing going where we all meet in a tourney and play some real baseball. It's not about who is a better team,it's about playing they're last summer ball against each other. Some will go off to the summer leagues somewhere else and some will not. Please e-mail our coach I Valdez at the academy. ivaldez@bullssoxacademy.com thanks and look forward to meeting all you guys in june or july.
Look forward to seeing you and your team. Have tried to get a few of the other TOP teams in our area there, but I was told they are DOUBLE BOOKED for the Summer. Any area teams or out of area teams wanting to compete in a very competitive tourny , feel free to pm me.
Looks to be be as good as you will go to this year.

I look forward to seeing Smokey serving concessions..and old friends in the stands.
Sweaty, knowone is down playing your team, at least we know the talent on your team.. Look forward to it.
Was anything done to put together a 18U/17U “Greater Chicago Area (and select down state teams, SIBullets & B/N) Traveling Team Shindig & Tournament”? lightbul
It would be great to see the Whites Sox Academy (put first to give Sweaty and his team a little love and respect hi), Illinois Orioles, Top Tier, Norwood Blues, Lombard Lighting, Humbolt Travelers, Prairie Gravel, Lakeside Cardinals, Illinois North Stars, Magic, Sparks, McHenry Hurricanes, and all of the great teams mentioned on one venue. Duecdoc had some good ideas earlier in the thread. HSBB will start consuming these boards soon. I hope all the coaches that run these teams can put something together. Before you know it the 2006 HSBB season will be over. good
Had a good time, heat and all, last summer down in Carbondale/Carterville. Being an SIU alum, it gave me a chance to visit some old haunts. At least those that remain open 25 years later. Look forward to July '06. Of the games I was able to see our Bloomington Gold play last summer, it was definitely the toughest competition our boys faced. Pitching worries me in '06 as we lost some pretty good ones to graduation. Always interesting to see what our Twin City high school boys can do against all those very tough, talented teams.
Hey Deuce, name the time and place!!!!!! drunkard Please keep me informed regarding the Orioles schedule. Would like to know when you play Top Tier and/or the White Sox Academy.

Sorry to hear a “Chicago Shindig” couldn’t be put together. It would have been awesome to see some of the area’s best talent in a game/tourney atmosphere. However, you can’t beat SIBullets venue! Sounds like the party is down in Carbondale! baseball4

Best of luck to all this high school season! See you this summer!

GO HUSKIES!!!!! GO CHANTS!!!!
Last edited by Smokey
Smokey,,

Its good to hear from you. Tell your lanky lefty I said hello the next time you talk. I would welcome something like that with the older teams from this area, just that everyones on different pages.
Also tell that little M & M you have pitching on your post to close up the front side a little bit and pitch downhill. Dang slingers...
Most likly he will be. Lefties are hard to come by... I won't be there for the fun in Carbondale, I will be in Ga at Perfect Game Nationals with a group of 17's from this area..
Then I get to stay the next week as the 18s get there. 2 weeks of Ga sunblock..
But we will be at Carbondale , 18s will be there. They leave from SIU to GA
SS

We have two 17-18 mixed teams , at Nationals we will break into repective ages for the purpose of being seen at the right event ( scouts) Still working on the 17s at a few spots but they will only be as good as they play.
If your asking if I have guys who have the chance to be good, yes, IMO we will take about 9 D1 pitchers to Marrietta.
Some you would know and others you would not.
Soxnole, You know about this far better than I. However, try doing that with kids from LT, Stevenson, New Trier and many, many others. These coaches believe that M-Th belongs to them. In one well know situation, a coach's pitchers are not even allowed to play on a summer team even on weekends until the last day of the summer season has passed. If you've assembled a squad with players whose coaches don't object to a week's absense for a great tournament, then more power to ya.
Last edited by itsrosy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.