Skip to main content

Tuzigoot,

I am all for PG events and the exposure they bring. Understand that a showcase when your not ready can hurt you just as easily as a great one when your playing well. It seems as if all this talk of showcase and camps have detoured the things that make you better. Like instruction, like great competition to push you, I don't know maybe I'm in the dark on this.

I can only talk of my experiences and if look back at what got me to the next level, it was the fact that I played for great coaches,(tried to learn as much as I possibly could) and we played great competition, locally in the Chicago area and then at the end of the season , on the National level.
If I am a College coach it is part of my job to find you, not you find me. For the marginal player , it might be a little different, send some emails hit a camp or two where you want to go, but don't forget the part about getting better.

Again, Perfect Game is something that is very good, I am just saying we as Summer teams can hit those and still play some good ball right here.
Had a conversation with a disappointed father recently.

He related a "problem" that came up when his son and a couple of his high school teammates were working out together in the off season as part of a competitive summer baseball team.

Check the IHSA rules on more than one or two kids from any one team working out for a "summer team" in the off season, i.e., the fall and winter.

Might put your own eligibility in question. Those kinds of matters seem to "crop up" after someone wins something.
As you said il2008, it has to do with players from the same team working out with the various adademies and receiving instructions. This has nothing to do with the summer programs. They can workout with the various summer teams up until the H.S teams are selected. Once that is done they must stop until the season is over and then they are free to go where they want.
quote:
They can workout with the various summer teams up until the H.S teams are selected.

Dragon....Where did you hear this, please?

What I heard....Off season workouts for a summer travel team or other such all-star team by more than two (2) players from any high school team is apparently prohibited by IHSA Rules.

Best way to protect yourself is to get something in writing from your high school coach or the IHSA.
Dragon, you are right that they can work with the summer team until the IHSA baseball season starts. Where you are wrong is that no more than two players from the same high schoool, no matter what grade level can not participate at the same time. It is something that we have to talk to the kids about every year because not many kids understand the rule. It's crazy. but it is the IHSA rule. If they get caught, the IHSA will step in.
tuzigoot, Yes that is how the rule reads. I was first intorduced to the rule 5 years ago when three of my players signed up for the ASU winter camp and they wanted me to check to make sure it was legal. I called the IHSA for claification and was told that since the ASU camp was a instructional camp and didn't have competition tied to it, it would be illegal. Thank God that the coach at ASU refunded the one kid his money because of the rule. Some of the state schools have started having more than one section for the winter camps so more than two kids from one school can go. This goes for all sports, not just baseball. IHSA.org has a complete list of the rules. I hope this sheds a little light on a crazy rule.
I am not much of a self-promoter, but I can't let other teams get mentioned without talking about the 17 year old Sparks. They were the 2005 CABA State champs, Sparks Classic champs, and were invited to play at Notre Dame, Purdue, and the University of Illinois last summer. Our fall season was very successful, ending with the team going undefeated in the Lombard Lightning Fall Showcase. Team members include T.J. McFarland and Nick Rossi from Stagg, Mark Ahern (H/F), Brain Stroud (Providence), Tyler Newsome, Mike Vucsko, and Nick Pappas from Marist, Chris Chojnowski, Louie Soto, Diego Martinez, Dan Jilek, and Pete Balsam from St Rita, Tim Norman (Minooka), Dan McConlogue, Rich Forkin, Kyle Fraser, Trevor Willis, John Pastwa, and Matt Shilney from Lockport, Brian Bajer (Oak Forest), Robert Scumaci (De La Salle), Jon Merrick (Chicago Christian), Philip Wunderlich (Downers Grove South), Miguel Amesquita (Brother Rice), and Carter Kopach (Mount Carmel).

The Sparks train at their own 25,000 square foot facility located in Tinley Park. It has six cages with machines, three mounds, and 15,000 square feet of turfed infield area. The ceilings are 30 feet high. Players have access to the facility virtually 24/7 365 days a year. Team coaches include former pros Tim Newsome (hitting), Kirk Vucsko (pitching), Erik Pappas (catching), as well as Rich Forkin (Ultimate Sports Academy).

From top to bottom, from ages 10 up, the Sparks have firmly established themselves as one of the top youth baseball organizations in Illinois. Our reputation with college and pro coaches continues to grow, and we work as hard as anyone out there to get a player exposure to the right college for them.

If you have any further questions about the Sparks, their website is http://www.orlandsparks.com.
Gus21,

Phil played with my oldest son last year on the 2005 regional championship D.G.S.H.S. team. Phil's contribution at the plate was one major reason for their success last year all while playing up as a sophmore.

Assumes a leadership role this year on the team and would be surprised if he does not emerge as
one of premier hitters in the state. Deserving, as I am sure the others are, in a little exposure and recognition. Plus and most importantly, Phil is a good kid.
LSC and Deuce Doc.....your kind words are right on the money. Phil is a definite Division 1 talent. The one thing that gets overlooked with Phil is that he is turning himself into one heckuva defensive third baseman as well. Let's see now....great kid, fantastic left handed hitter, good hands, a cannon for an arm, I think that there are a few colleges out there that might be able to use Phil.
SIB,

We will have two. one will be 18s and one 17s and 18s. We are close to done or as close as I want to be from being done. I leave a couple spots open for late changes and so forth.

We are having our site done now. Cangelosi has one http://www.cangelosi.com but it is bad and we are upgrading. The new one has player profiles and is pretty nice.
I will post the guys we have involved with us a little later tonight.
If it is allowed.
O's so far........

Billy Boockford Glenbard West- ND
Deven Foreman Hales Fransican -UD JC
David Reynolds Sandburg -NIU
Brian Lambert Pontiac HS- Indiana U
Louie Johanns Naper Central -SIU
Tommy Cerven Monooka- SIU
Joey Dispensa Rita- UD JC
Lennel Mcgee Mt Carmel - UD JC
Andrew Hagins OPRF -UD
Tyson Blazer Rockridge- U of Iowa
Bobby Simmons Driscoll - U of Dayton
Mike Kaszmarek Andrew- 07
Brad Allen Geneva 07
Scott Sexton Oak Lawn 07
Seth Blair Rock Falls - 07
Nick Herrera Geneva UD
Anthony Maziur Oak Forest UD
Steve Crnkovich DOwners South UIC
Cedrick Redmond Joliet Township- UD

There are some others we are looking at.
Could use a couple 07 outfielders still too.

We will start our first workout in Tinley Park at the Sparks Travelers facility this Sunday. I beleive the 17 yr old Sparks team will also be there. Between the 3, there is a couple nice players going to be there.
Thanks Corky, There will be a half a dozen real strong teams out there from our area and about the same down south by SI Bullet.
Starting Sunday, Cangelosi will have our hitters and I will have the Pitchers. Looking forward to another productive season.
Forgot to mention 2 pitchers
Pat Kirchoffer Wheaton North UD
Luke Vail St Pats UD
Hope everyone has a peaceful, safe and happy holiday. 2006 should be a lot of fun.
Below is the 2006 Top Tier 17u Roster:

Bradarich, Michael - P
Niles North 2007

Burch, Matt - 1B
Carl Sandburg 2007

Cappetta, Pete - OF/INF
Montini Catholic 2007

Chmielewski, Nick - P
Carl Sandburg 2007

Crane, Kevin - OF
Crete Mone 2007

Godawa, Steve - P
Buffalo Grove 2007

Goldberg, Ian - OF
Lake Forest, 2007

Graham, Derek - INF/OF
Naperville Central 2007

Kennedy, Ryan - P
Libertyville, 2007

Levi, Jared - OF
Glenbrook North, 2007

Martinez, Gerry - P
Grayslake, 2007

McConnell, Cameron - C
Deerfield, 2007

McMurray, Casey - OF
Lyons Township, 2007

Monroe, Grant - P
Schaumburg, 2007

Rosenberg, Jordan - 1B/3B
Highland Park, 2007

Tolan, Josh - 2B
Highland Park, 2007

Trepel, Andrew - SS
Minooka, 2007

Van Asdlen, Brett - C
Minooka, 2007

Williams, John - 3B/P
Niles North, 2007

Two other impact pitchers will be transacted shortly.

Congratulations to all the players for being selected.

Let's get some games scheduled before everyones calendar fills up (Coaches - PM me if you would like to schedule some games).

Can't wait for those magic words, "PLAY BALL"

Warm wishes for a happy and healthy.
Last edited by 34/33
34/33, I had a question for you with these team like top tier. Please don't take it the wrong way. 1How much does it cost? Is it like the sox where they chagre you 2200 to play? 2. How much practice do these guys really get for ex, Monroe with his b-ball schedule does he make any or just show up for the games, Looking over the list I have seen most since 12 or so and know they are fine athletes and assume more play additional sports, they also have a long way to drive to your facility. I know thye practice with their hs I meant with the top tier group. 3. Do you think this really increases their exposure, don't know all but many Nick, Monroe, McMurry and so on are pretty well reconised from their hs play. 4. Looking over your game results from last year I was suprised by how much local playing your guys do, will that change at 17?
I am not trying to knock what people are doing just thought I would ask the questions. It came to me as I saw Monroes name and realize that heplays a lot of basketball and also I think went to Italy last summer for basaeball and I just wondered how all that worked out for say your team or is that why the number of players since you don't know who shows up? Thank for letting me know.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.