Skip to main content

Son has been relegated to the occasional inning or at bat in his junior year, with the rare odd mid-week start mixed in. Stats are virtually identical to the starter in percentages, but he has just never really connected with this coaching staff and is criticized for intangibles. Now it comes to light he has a torn meniscus, and the trainer is repeatedly delaying getting him with a doctor to review issues and options, while suggesting that the surgery is unnecessary since he is still quite flexible. I want him to get the knee repaired now, ASAP,(a relatively minor procedure these days)so he'll be 100% in time for another Cape Cod season, where he plays for a coach who truly believes in him. He fears that any demand for surgery now will end his already tenuous college baseball career, as he's made it clear that with the new transfer rules, he will not consider transferring. With only one remainging year of eligibility and having to sit a year, there just isn't that much market for someone in his position and condition. He wants to play pro ball, and has gotten great encouragement from scouts who've seen him at the Cape in summers past so that's not out of the question. He just needs to play and be seen.

What should he do? Repair the knee now, or wait, as recommended by the trainer? What is the risk of his parimeniscal cyst (which has gotten quite large) rupturing and creating more serious problems? What is the school's obligation to fix the knee? More to the point, how would a program that respects and takes care of its players handle this situation? I no longer have confidence that this program has my son's best interest at heart.

I understand that he's there on a scholarship to help the team win and has a role to play in that process. However, he also has a responsibility to look out for his own long-term health. We are all compelled to evaluate our own situation and direction and make adjustments as necessary from time to time. So, does he continue to be a "team player", doing whatever the program asks of him, or place his own goals and health in the forefront?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

College baseball is and should be a mercenary event. The best players play.

It sounds as though you suffer a bit from "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Nothing you can do about the evaluation process.

Based solely on what's been divulged here, it seems pretty simple. Have the surgery now. If your claim is that the coaching staff isn't warm to your son on his abilities, why would you wait to have them not be warm next year, when you have the proverbial bird in hand at Cape Cod where he is more loved?

I'm sure others can see further into it than I, but to this simple mind, the solution seems evident.

Best of luck to your son.
As someone who just had his son go through this, I (IMO)tell him to have the surgery now. If he has had an MRI, realize that they are only about 85% correct. My son was told he had a menicus tear by one doctor and the doctor that did the surgery was sure he had a tear in his PCL and menicus tear. When the doctor did the surgery, the doctor discovered he had a completely severed ACL. No problem with the menicus or PCL. Also, it is recommend that the menicus is repaired and not remove the damaged part as alot of doctors like to do. The repair takes a little longer to heal but better for him in the long run.

It sounds like your son is doing well in the Cape Cod league, but if he is still injured, it may effect how he pitches and may have scouts question his ability.
Last year, as a junior, I played through a ruptured UCL hoping to get through last year and this year before hanging up the spikes. Due to not being able to participate fully in practice last year I didn't get the playing time I did the previous season. After the pain got so bad this summer I was forced to have the surgery and forgo my senior season of college baseball.
If I had it to do over again, I would have had the surgery as soon as I was injured and been back healthy and strong for my senior campaign.
quote:
Originally posted by Tooldforthis:
As someone who just had his son go through this, I (IMO)tell him to have the surgery now. If he has had an MRI, realize that they are only about 85% correct.

My son had this as well.....torn labrum, held off on surgery and had less than satisfactory results of his senior season..should have had surgery sooner......sat out and had a year left on his eligibility.....

get it done now.
FitMeIn-

I can see that you're frustrated and I can sympathize, but did I miss something here? Who diagnosed the meniscus? How is it affecting his play? His well-being? And how do you know that it's even repairable? Is surgery something that your son is seriously considering? Are you sure that you not trying to convince him that the rest of the season isn't necessary? My point is, this has to be up to him to decide.

It should be an orthopod's opinion on whether or not surgery is the best course, but it's your son that really has to make that call. The school usually foots the bill for an injury that occurred on the field. Is that the case here?

It's plain to see that you're at odds with the coaches, but is the medical issue at the root or is it the final straw? For most, team obligations come second to health issues. It's just not exactly clear what the biggest concern is. What does your son think is primary?

If the trainer is obstructing medical attention then you really do have a issue with the school, but be careful as that's a very serious accusation to make.
Last edited by spizzlepop

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.