Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pause his point of contact and see that its more of a defensive approach?  I hate the cookie cutting approach in coaching with people claiming "elbow up, knees bent", NO.  If you have time try and explain how Bryce Harper and Hunter Pence both have different swings.  They have the same bat path tho and great extension.  Your son does a great job with keeping his hands inside the baseball but maybe when he does tee work tell him to keep a mentaility of throwing the knob towards the pitcher.  Show him clips of Albert Pujols, he does a fantastic job of keeping his hands inside and driving towards the pitcher. 

As he strides forward before toe touch, he keeps his shoulder coiled inward nicely. However it seems (from this angle) like he is uncoiling his hip (he's opening up).

So when he finishes the stride at toe touch, there's no more body effort remaining, he can only muscle the bat around.

I recommend that he work in front of a mirror to keep both his shoulder and hip coiled inward until he lands his front foot.

Welcome to the site, Tim.  I, too, like his aggressive, athletic approach.  Lots of good things going on there.  Lot's of little things that can be discussed as well but for now, I would focus on the set up.  Look into what being "stacked" is.  Your son is set up on one leg where all weight is on that back leg.  There needs to be more balance, more of a "stacked" set up for all other things to happen optimally.  When that back hip gets outside of the ball of the back foot, there has to be considerable lateral movement before getting the front side down and getting into rotational action.  This can cause difficulties with timing and other things, particularly as he faces better and better pitching.  Also, it can be particularly difficult to get adequate turn in the load when you are already that far back outside of balance.

That said, this is another of those areas where you can find examples of hitters having success at higher levels doing something similar to what you son is doing.  But the vast majority are more stacked and stay stacked throughout the swing.  Many high level guys will instruct not to let the back knee get outside of the ball of the foot even when loading on the back side.  Your son starts there even before load. 

Sultanofswat I think it’s just the angle I took the video from as far as what you’re seeing of him opening up.  I’ll try to get a different angle next time...he’s pretty consistent as far as keeping his hips closed, staying on the ball and driving hit.  He’ll hit it where’s it’s pitched for sure....thanks for your thoughts 

Tim; draw a line thru the center of the body. His weight is going back when he is in his swing therefore reducing his power. Weight should be forward thru the ball. Like a boxer throwing a punch. When he is preparing to swing his bat is moving "up and down". This also takes away the power.

As Sulton said use the "full length" mirror.

Every one of the 4,000 Japanese HS have a full length mirror for hitters and pitchers. 40 million people watch the National HS Tournament each year at Koshien {Osaka].

Hitting is a science {Ted W.] and quality practice. MLBTV had a great discussion by Cliff Floyd on Spencer Hayward swing and why he was hitting on top of the ball.

Bob

So I've posted vids of my kid's swing and motion off the mound. I'd say I probably stress too much over every little comment. Need to heed old_school's advice. 

That said you just blew off every piece of advice you received. I noticed the baseballcomesthird dude did the same thing. So it seems that both of you were looking for kudos more so than advice?

My son excelled at HS ball. That next step is a big one. Good luck.

IMO, If you're serious about helping your son or having his swing evaluated, There is a better way than getting advice here on the site.

Everyone here has an opinion. Most talk about mechanics. Very few talk about approach. And others don't know what they're talking about and all of it is just way too much!

I'm not sure if you plan on approaching your son with any of these comments but I would highly advise against that.Dads don't make great hitting Coaches. I know a couple of talented hitting coaches. Guys that played pro ball. And they don't teach their own kids. They can teach your kid or my kid but have the wisdom not to teach their own. They get them going when they're young. But at the HS level they turn them over to someone who isn't their father.

Clearly, you're a good baseball Dad and you're trying to help your son. I get it. My unsolicited advice would be to First, put this energy into finding the best possible private hitting coach in your area that works at the Pro Ball level or NCAA / JUCO Level. Secondly, budget the money to Finance it and help provide transportation to and from the lessons. That's my role as a father in this. That doesn't mean my son and I don't talk hitting. Or if he asks my opinion I don't give it to him. It just means that I'm not the authority on hitting in our House. The hitting coach is. At one Point back in Freshman year in HS that was Reggie Smith. Currently, with my son playing at the college level it's Doug Latta . But it's never me

Looks like you're in Missouri. If I were you I'd shoot an email to Matt Lisle at Mizzou. He's a well respected hitting coach. I'd ask if he could refer you to a quality hitting coach in the St. Louis Area. I'd also reach out to Coach Bloom at Wash U his email is pbloom@wustl.edu.

Good luck!

Last edited by StrainedOblique

I would beware using a 'name' person as a hitting or pitching coach, former pro or college player for baseball or fastpitch.  Personally, I don't know a single one that produced results.  Most have been awful.  They don't know how they actually swing/pitch, and can't teach others.  Most are for Dads that want to tell their friends that they know a former pro.

I'm sure there are some good ones somewhere.

So, find an instructor that gets results.  And by 'results' I don't mean they get players that are already great.

Find someone that measures results. Radar for pitching, and exit speed for hitting.  If they're not doing that, they are afraid you'll see that your kid is not getting any better.

Last edited by SultanofSwat

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.