Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

yes indeedy I have and use the zepp...  It is very cool when it works.  I frequently lose connectivity between senson and iphone app.  I also find odd readings - rarely do I see my kids take 10 straight swings and the readings either work or be consistent... I used to play - so I tested it and my swing readings were all over the map.  Also found that the swing path features were also inconsistent, but VERY COOL when they work right.  It's a fantastic toy - wouldn't rely on it too much.

We have it and can offer a few insights.  The concept is very cool and we have found it to work (record swing metrics) well.  Out of 10 swings, I would say that on average you will get 7-8 good readings.  When I say good readings I mean that the player bat speed, contact point, and bat path seem to be tracked accurately.  For the ones it misses it can be attributed to a bad swing, a mishit, or just a warm-up swing between pitches so not necessarily a device fault.  You can "tag" hits if you take the time to do so right after a good line drive and it is a good reference to compare bad hits to.  The player can see contact point such that if you are out if front or late on swings - useful for younger players who don't necessarily believe you when you tell them they are early on their swing (or late) - gives you clear evidence to convince them

Most valuable part for us has been trying to beat our best swing speed.  Provides some goal oriented targets that can be motivating to younger players. 

Always room for improvement on things like this but the technology should only get better.  It's been a good tool for us to take along to BP and have fun with.

Here is my take after a day or so of playing with it.  Im pretty technical and work in the IT field.  Setup was very easy and I had it working with in a few minutes without really reading the documentation (which is lacking).  I can see where it would be difficult for others to figure out.  We went down to the local fields for some BP and were able to gather about 25 or so swings before the lightening detector went off.  

My kid has had a couple of flaws that have developed in his swing this year.  Namely he is making contact with the ball too far in front of the plate when facing slower pitchers and he is not fully extending through the ball.  After looking at the swing plane data he could visualize what I was talking about.  His first comments were look at where I am hitting the ball as well as look at the hitch in the swing when I do make contact.  He was able to make adjustments in that nights game and was back to driving the ball like in past years.  

Before that nights game I was showing some parents the device and the data we gathered. I put the device on his bat for pre-game BP and had a problem getting it to connect to the iPAD.  I could see it attached through the iPAD setup but the software was not seeing it.  I had to remove and rediscover the device through iPADs setup.  Once that was completed it was seen from the software as well but was not recording swings.  I had to reboot the iPAD in order for the software to see the device.  

Overall I would say this device provides helpful data if you can figure out how to interpret it.    Most folks who understand swing mechanics would see the data it provides normally but its extremely helpful for the hitter to be able to visualize what you are explaining to them.  It would be really helpful to super-impose this data over video of the swing.  Something I may try when I have some time.  I would be prepared to deal with some bugs but I would guess they would decrease over time as the company releases bug fixes (hopefully they do).  From my perspective it was worth the $120 investment. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.