Skip to main content

More of a thought experiment than an actual play that I saw.  On a force play as long as you have control of the ball you can touch the base with any part of your body or glove and record the out.  So I have a question about tagging a forced runner.

Scenario 1:
Runner on 1st no outs (or 1 or 2 really does not matter).  Grounder is hit to second baseman.  He runs up and catches the ball in his glove, tags the runner with the glove (ball is in the glove).
Expected outcome:  runner is out.
Scenario 2:
Same as above except when the 2nd baseman tags the runner with the glove he has already transferred the ball to his throwing hand, ball is not in the glove that is touching the runner
Expected outcome: runner is not out.
But why?  Why can I tag a base and get a force out but I have to tag a forced runner with the ball?  Why is this treated differently?  And not just an answer of "well he is a runner".  The runner is forced to the next base, I can get that runner out by stepping on the bag with my foot and the ball in my glove, why do I need to touch a forced runner with the ball or with a glove with a ball in it?  Why is there a difference?  The ball never touched the runner with the glove tag so why does it matter where the ball is when I tag the forced runner as long as the player has control of the ball?
Any thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It all comes down to the definition of a tag.  Emphasis mine.  Explaining why the rules are written that way is just speculation. 

TAG is the action of a fielder in touching a base with the body while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove; or touching a runner with the ball or with the hand or glove holding the ball, while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove. It is not a tag, however, if simultaneously or immediately following his touching a base or touching a runner, the fielder drops the ball. In establishing the validity of the tag, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball. If the fielder has made a tag and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the tag, the tag shall be adjudged to have been made. For purposes of this definition any jewelry being worn by a player (e.g., necklaces, bracelets, etc.) shall not constitute a part of the player’s body.

Thanks for answering, I know it is not really a "rules" interpretation type of question but it really made me wonder about the "why" aspect of the decision process.  The "hand or glove" is written into the rule, and really no way to discern the "why" it must be that way, just seems inconsistent that the base is treated different than a player, although I can see why being able to touch a player with a cleat or hand could be dangerous.

To be consistent it seems you should have to touch the base with the glove/ball?  Of course that would make double plays pretty impossible, but would be consistent. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.