Skip to main content

quote:
TCU,Utah,Boise,Nevada,SDSU,YBU. Would have been, IMO a very good conference. Not the caliber of SEC but certainly equal to the Big 10, Big East and ACC. All who are AQ's. Which translates to bigger T.V $$$, bigger venues, larger recruiting budgets, deeper rosters, etc...

I believe these schools would make a pretty competitive conference but it would never happen because it would take them forever to gain AQ status.

The main thing that hurts schools like these is the seating capacity of their stadiums.

TCU is doubling their seating to a whopping 40,000
Utah is 45,000
Boise is 30,000
Nevada is 30,000
SDSU is in best shape playing at Qualcom at 70,500
YBU is 63,000

Now compare that to

Michigan at 110,000
Kentucky at 67,000
West Virginia at 60,000
Oregon at 54,000
Auburn at 87,500

Then you have to factor in luxury boxes which I don't know the numbers on these but I would bet that the AQ schools get more bang for the buck on these.

Michigan is not very good this year and probably didn't sell out their stadium at any of their games but still probably had more than twice of what TCU, Boise, Nevada and Utah had with a sell out.
TCU's capacity was at 44.5k before they blew up the stadium in December for expansion. When completed, there will be expansion of luxury suites and overall seating capacity in excess of 60k. Not bad for a school their size.

TCU, Utah, Boise, Nevada, SDSU and YBU could have made a run at it but everyone would have still considered it a weaksister. Then, when the mormans left and UT followed, that killed all chances.
Last edited by Tx-Husker
Filling and selling out stadiums is one thing. TV revenue, I believe, represents a bigger piece of the pie. YBU left to become an Independent in football and will compete in the WCC in every other sport. Basically their Notre Dame west and like Notre Dame will keep every penny from their network. TCU and Utah left for huge TV deals in the Big East and Pac-whatever, compared to the MWC and their 1.5 deal with the mtn network. The purported 12m TV deal that the Big East has, makes it a no brainer for a school like TCU to move on. Utah will pay dearly for their impatience and will be the perenial whipping boy of the conference. Either way, both will be suckeling from the BC$ teat, pulling in substantial revenue from TV deals and AQ for mega bowl payouts.
Last edited by dswann
quote:
Originally posted by dswann:
Yep. It's a huge chip to be involved in a AQ conference. SDSU's HC will probably be moving onto Michigan. Can't help but think if the playing field was a level one we might retain him.

I hope Hoke stays around for awhile. That was a good team this year.

Concerning the non AQs vs AQs, I don't think either side's fans is going to convince the other. The only thing you can really compare is how they fare against each other. Too many other variables to support the "so and so would beat so and so" arguments.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.