Skip to main content

We received a phone call last night from Team One. Our sophomore son was invited to their Phoenix showcase starting on June 20th. Since he is only a soph. should we wait until next after his Junior year saving airfare, etc..? If we send him he will also be missing games with his summer team. Is the showcase worth the time and money?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Send Him, never wait.
IMO the time line on this web page is dated. My son is a 2007 and I think the summer between his sophmore and junior is critical. The reason I think the time line is dated is because in the 21st century thses kids don't use a phone to comminicate. So waiting for the July 1st call after his junuor year is for Bridesmaids.
The coaches today use e-mail and tek messaging to keep in touch with the kids, ALL DURING THEIR JUNIOR YEAR. So your son needs to get on the radar screen the summer before his junior year. When the coaches call on JUly 1st they already have their list of prospects thate wer developed the previos summer and fall.
I agree. In our area we have two juniors (2007's) that I know of who have already reached handshake agreements with D-I schools -- and there are probably more that I just don't know about. This shows that by this time next year, you might actually have your recruiting work finished and over with, as opposed to hitting the showcase circuit yet again. Imagine the peace of mind! (And the $$$ saved!)
I am going to give you conflicting advice in comparison to the two above.

Keep cost in mind; it is not necessary to attend the Team One Showcase this summer, especially if he values his summer team and he is a good player.

If he is a DI prospect, he definitely does not need to go, and if he is not a DI prospect, then it is way too early to go.

Just my opinion.
Teamone west in Pheonix, is very well attended by college recruitors, and pro scouts.
Also is your son looking at Area Code for next year.
Has he attended a showcase before.
The fact that there contacting him this early is a good thing.
In order for your son to get invite's to other major event's.
AKA, Cape Cod Classic, Aflac All Star's.
He need's to be seen.
The earlier the better. JMHO the EH

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.