Skip to main content

Trips#1 (unassisted) Runner's on 1st/2nd, no outs. The batter's team down several runs. Both runner's take very aggresive secondary leads. Sharp LD to 1st, batter out(1)... 1st baseman tags out runner between 1st/2nd base(2)...1st baseman runs the ball to 2nd base bag(3). Happened so fast the MIF's froze also.

Trips#2 Runners on 2nd/3rd, no outs. 1-2 count, LH batter swings and misses a CB in the dirt. Catcher blocks, no time for a quick tag, looks the runner back at third, throws the batter out at 1st(1). The runner at 2nd dances off 2nd base, 1st baseman throws to SS, quick tag on runner(2), runner at 3rd tries to score, SS throws to catcher. Collision at the plate, catcher wins(3).

Gotta love good defense!! GED10DaD
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My brother was playing short, with the bases loaded. Humpback liner he lets the ball hit his palm and it drops right in front. He picks it up, tags runner from 2nd, steps on 2nd and throws to first. Nobody what was flying, he had to yell to first baseman to cover the bag. Umpires (terrible terrible terrible) didn't even know what happened, they let a run score, even though batter was thrown out at first.
Here's maybe the strangest ever.... and reported to have actually occurred years ago in the Pioneer League.

Runners at 1st and 2nd, both running on the pitch. Batter pops up middle infield, INF Fly rule out #1 (batter). Runner from 1st kept going, and runs right past runner returning to base at 2nd. Out #2. Ball eventually comes down and hits final baserunner who's standing just off the bag at 2nd. Out #3. No defensive player touches the ball and the side is retired.

True or not, how does your scorebook look after this one? I know mine would be a mess.
I'm sure the coach was furious after that one.
------
This one is frustrating for me. I'm pitching the game, and it's tied. We're at bat with runners on 1st, 3rd no outs. Fly ball to LF. The ball is caught, and the runner from 3rd is thrown out at the plate. The runner on 1st is doing god knows what, and gets thrown out going to 2nd.
Spizzlepop,

I believe the scoring would be to award put outs to the fielder closest to each out. Probably all the short stop, who was most likely closest to R1 running past R2, the pop up itself and R2 when it hit him. Not having seen the play, I can't say if the second baseman wasn't involved in some way.

The notation I would use is 666-TP, 'cause there is no other way to describe something evil like this. I'd probably put a few stars around it and add some notes so if I ever flipped through that book again (years later) so I could tell the story accurately.

Probably the only case I've ever run across where a batted ball hits a runner and the hitter doesn't get credit for a hit.

Bizare play on many levels...
As a new travel coach, I was catching some flack for not being aggressive enough after my first few tournaments.

So in a pool game, top first, first two batters hit singles (first and second). The count goes 1-1 to the batter. The pitcher is throwing strikes, I have a great contact hitter up (he is my three hole guy), so I call a hit and run. Line drive to the pitcher, turns and goes to second for two, back to first for three.

I turn to the critical parents and say, "And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I hate the double steal" and went back to my old conservative ways.
quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
Not sure if this was an official triple play. This weekend, runners on first and third. 3-2 count on batter. Next pitch, strike out, the catcher threw the runner out trying to steal second, then the second baseman threw the runner out at home when he tried to score on the play. No batted ball but three outs on one pitch.
triple play
Situation: T-Ball tourney, bottom last inning, down by one, runners on 1st and 3rd, best hitter is up, no outs.

Batter bloops halfway toward 3rd. 3rd baseman sprints and dives, ball hits glove, ball pops out of the glove.

I start screaming for the runners to go.

3rd baseman lands on the ground, ball lands in glove. You can imagine the rest of the story.
I actually saw my first triple play in person this past fall in local high school fall ball. It was nothing unusual...double steal, line drive to an infielder, nice easy triple play.

The funny thing was three days later I nearly saw the same team turn another triple play in different circumstances. So I went from never having seen one, to nearly seeing two in three days.
Several years ago in a high school game we were the visiting team up 3 - 2 in the bottom of the seventh against one of the best teams in our area. Runners on first and second with no outs. We were on the ropes and I was out of pitching and this game was probably not going to extra innings based on the way the first two batters hit the ball.

Runners take off on steal, line drive right where the second baseman was covering on the steal. In the matter of two steps he caught the line drive (first out) tagged the runner (second out) and ran across second (third out).

We win.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.