137. Aaron Schultz 3b Klein Collins TCU
141. Johnny Dishon of Bridge City LSU
151. Tant Shepherd 3b Flower Mound UT
167. Brett Eibner of/p Woodlands ARK
180. Conrad Flynn rhp Lee HS ARK
181. Brandon Workman rhp Bowie UT
226. Danny Hernandez 2b Temple HS UH
229. Terrance Jackson lhp/of NewmanSmith
290. Justin Jackson rhp Magnolia HS Sam Hou.

NOTE: 32 Texans, 47 CA's, 45 FLA's, 23 GA's
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

John,
I will join in your discussion. I am surprised that nobody else has commented on this.

So if Blake Beavan is #3 on this list and Cole Green is #61, what does that say for Jason Becker and his rankings? He had Green #1 in the state and Beavan #2?

Also, how big is the gap really between all of these players? The point being that I have seen some of these guys that are 50 spots apart play quite a bit and there isn't that big of a difference.
After a satisfying day of football, I had some time to kill and looked at the rankings to try to figure them out and better understand the process. My first thought was, why would Florida have almost 50% more in the top 300. I guess they could have that many better players, but it made me wonder. The next thing I wondered about was why there were only around 3 players from Texas in the 201-300 group. That makes no sense does it. However, I guess it could just be a little unusual. My theory is that you optimize your chances of being ranked by attending the Perfect Game Wood Bat Championhip or another Perfect Game showcase. Since the Championship is in Florida, it would only make sense that more Floridians would attend and therefore more players from Florida would be ranked. Since I have access to the Baseball America ProspectsPlus, I pulled up the report and then pulled up the Perfect Game Wood Bat player database. I looked at it until I got tired. Here is what I found out. Around 70% of those ranked between 201-260 attended the Perfect Game Wood Bat Championships. Most of the others attended a Perfect Game Showcase. Of thoe that did not attend, a couple of those had committed to a D1 school. Another one or two were listed in the Perfect Game California Zone site.

Unfortunately, a number of quality teams from Texas have opted out of participating in the Wood Bat Championships in recent years and instead have focused on the Premier tournaments. I can't help but think that a lot of players that would be ranked are never seen by the folks that do the ranking.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.