Skip to main content

This topic pertains to the average college prospects and not the upper tier or lower tier prospects. The kid who knows he's an easy P5 sign, or the kid who is probably limited to D3 or low level Juco, doesn't probably have the same concerns around decisions right now at this time as the average college prospects.

if you are in the class of 2021, and you don't have an offer now to play college baseball, you probably want to get one soon. (I think we can all agree on that one. There's 9 months left on your clock and it's ticking.)

What about the 22s and 23s? I see some 22s that are now already committed and even a few 23s. Almost all are for good D1 programs. (I don't see any committed to D2 or D3 yet.)

For the 23s, unless you are getting good money from your dream school, maybe it makes sense to wait a bit before committing and wait and see what's going on with rosters, etc., this coming spring? For certain, if I was a 2023, I would not be committing to a D2 or D3 in September 2020. Too soon for that, even in our world situation today.

For me, now, the group who has the trickiest decision at this time is the 22s. 

For a 2022, probably still no need to commit to a D3 now. Still too early. But, probably couldn't hurt to have a few on your radar, just in case, to know if you want to go there - if it came to that later on. But what about D1 and D2 now for the 22s?

If I were a 22 and had an offer now for a really attractive D1, I would commit at this time, all things considered. But, I would also take a hard look a roster realities too. In a normal world, a lot of kids going D1 are going to transfer after freshman year because it didn't work out. The situation in the NCAA today isn't going to make that freshman attrition situation any better. So, be smart on that D1 commit now if you are a 2022 and avoid going to a school for one year and then having to transfer to another school and maybe having to bounce down in the process.

But what about 2022s and D2 now? I can't find any 2022s in the past who committed to a D2 in the fall of his junior year. And, I don't see any announcing it now. Maybe that's because D2s normally don't look at kids in the fall of their junior year? Maybe they typically look at them the summer after their junior year and look to commit in the fall of their senior year?

But that's under normal times and these are not normal times.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and I am no expert. What are your thoughts for the average college prospects in the classes of 2021, 2022 and 2023 with respect to decisions and commitments at this time?

Last edited by Francis7
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A 2021 with no offer probably has to decide where they would like to go to school and try to walk on or contact a JUCO.  If they are sitting on an offer, take it or move on. 

A lot of 2021 players have reclassified and have received offers as a 2022.

2023 have more than enough time and should not take an offer unless they really feel comfortable. 

My son has a couple 2022 friends that have reclassed as 2023 and will go to IMG for their senior year since they won't be able to play HS any longer. 

There are still lots of 2023 kids committing right now. I don't know the details of their offers, but if I were their parents I'd encourage them to wait a while longer to see how some of this roster stuff shakes out.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Per PG, D1 commits reported 

2022 - 904 committed
2023 - 362 committed
2024 - 55 committed

Goes without saying - but I will say it anyway - those are verbal commitments and mean nothing until a NLI has been signed. As things shake out over the next couple of years, and experienced players get redistributed to various rosters, I would expect schools to back out of more offers than normal. Again, this will be a bigger issue at the most competitive programs. Everyone in the referenced grad classes should have a solid plan B. 

@adbono posted:

Goes without saying - but I will say it anyway - those are verbal commitments and mean nothing until a NLI has been signed. As things shake out over the next couple of years, and experienced players get redistributed to various rosters, I would expect schools to back out of more offers than normal. Again, this will be a bigger issue at the most competitive programs. Everyone in the referenced grad classes should have a solid plan B. 

I was just reading something about it today. That de-committing is going to be more prevalent.

Unless I’m a potential pro baseball prospect who is likely to get on the field for at least a very competitive mid major I’m looking at the best possible education and baseball at any level I can have a quality baseball experience.

A friend’s son played for a D3 national champion. Their dog pile looked just as fun as the one at Omaha. Three kids signed, one drafted and played pro ball. All three probably could have played college ball at a higher level. 

The school is an HA. He’s now 32, married with kids and has a six figure income. I doubt he has any regrets he didn’t shoot higher in college baseball. 

@TPM posted:

A 2021 with no offer probably has to decide where they would like to go to school and try to walk on or contact a JUCO.  If they are sitting on an offer, take it or move on. 

A lot of 2021 players have reclassified and have received offers as a 2022.

2023 have more than enough time and should not take an offer unless they really feel comfortable. 

That is not accurate when it pertains to D3 and JUCO’s.  Perhaps you were referring to D1.

Most of the D3 offers to 2021’s will come in this fall.  Many JUCO’s don’t offer until late Fall or Winter.

Yeah it’s getting very late for 2021’s as far as D1.  My son is a 2021 and we have a wide circle of acquaintances in that age group.   A vast majority of the 2021’s that have committed to D1’s this past summer from our area  have been late blooming pitchers.  Kids that all of sudden starting topping out in the high 80’s/low 90’s, and they committed to mid majors, not Power 5 schools

D3 recruiting for 2021’s is just heating up now...kids have been getting contacted by D3’s in the last few months and will take visits this month and in early Oct... at least that’s how it is playing out in the upper Midwest.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.