Skip to main content

theEH,

Why would you say the following:

Parents please take this to heart.
Cut the cord, before you cause problems for your player.
Nothing good will come out of any conversation you or your son has with the coach.

My son has had many good conversations with his coach over the years. They have a relationship of mutual respect and the coach always makes time to talk to him about anything.
quote:
Originally posted by MUFASA:
All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticisim.

That's about as intelligent as saying we could learn lessons from inanimate objects...I think that in your quest to show us your depth of intelligence, you've gone so far that it has come full circle to represent the absurd.

...it makes it so much more enjoyable for the reader if your post actually has a point.
Last edited by CPLZ
Back to original question---I think a player should be able to approach a coach to ask what the coach thinks he needs to improve on to get more playing time. It is absurd of a coach to close the line of communication with players espically high school were it is a confusing time for kids. Why does he want to make it more difficult on the kids instead of a cherished memory and a fun time, my son plays because it is fun, this coach needs to remember that the game is about the boys not him.
Sounds like that coach needs to find another line of work that doesn't involve interpersonal skills.
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
How dare you approach the great and powerful Coach of Oz?

At practice today the coach told players he didn't want them approaching him on anything. He said if he wants to talk with them he'll come to them. He said he's tired of bench players coming to him believing they can start and asking what they can do to prove it (there are holes in the lineup).

He directly approached my son (starts and has another issue) and told him having his dad send and email with his email address did not fool him. He told my son he's not smart enough to be as articulate as the email. He told my son he'd cut him if I pulled a stunt like that again. My son sent the email after failed attempts to talk to the coach. He's an honors student in the gifted program. One of his gifted classes is writing composition.

Classic "Catch 22"

The parent is wise enough not to approach the coach with anything other than "good game", "nice day". The player comes home b******g about playing time , rotation, practice whatever. The parent, tired of the whinnning and seeing an opportunity for a potential life lesson, you encourage your kid to "handle it"and talk to the coach, if this is a concern. Naturally the coach assumes and rightfully so, no kid would approach him without being prompted by a parent. And of course, believes it's the parents agenda and not the players.

Solution:

Do not approach the coach with any thought on schedules, playing time, rotation, strategy, pitch counts, etc... Or risk having the conversation misconstrued as being prompted by a parent. Do expect, any and all punitive meassures to be inflicted by the coach to stem any inquiries in the future.

Frankly speaking, there's no other way a coach can handle this. If he lends an ear to the players concerns regardless of whether or not they are the players or the parents of the player he's inundated and perceived as having favorites.

On a side note. I loved the flying monkeys. I was creeped out by the Munchkins. Just thinking about those guys, gives me the willies
Last edited by dswann
quote:
Back to original question---I think a player should be able to approach a coach to ask what the coach thinks he needs to improve on to get more playing time.

Do they really need to ask? Just yesterday, I was watching the last half hour of practice and some of the kids were putting in less than full effort. All of a sudden the coach is yelling at me, 'Don't you think that these guys would figure out that how you conduct yourself at practice is the first step to getting more playing time!'
quote:
theEH,

Why would you say the following:

Parents please take this to heart.
Cut the cord, before you cause problems for your player.
Nothing good will come out of any conversation you or your son has with the coach.

My son has had many good conversations with his coach over the years. They have a relationship of mutual respect and the coach always makes time to talk to him about anything.

The key words I wrote state " You or your son ".
And strictly, asking the coach about what his coaching decision's are.
Does your son tell you what the coach said, And why did he tell you.
Is there some reason that as a parent, we Need to know what the conversation was??
Thats where I am coming from.
The Player has to be able to handle whats going to come at them in the near future if they continue in baseball, On there Own.
It's there game, not the Parents.
Let them grow up to be the strong young man you want them to become.
It won't happen if your always there " Hovering as a Parent ".

JMO
EH
I agree with most of what The EH has posted. I don't see the need for players to have to come home and tell mom and pop everything the coach said that day.
We taught our player that whatever the coach says is what you do, period. That was his activity not ours. We were just observers.
Coches become unapproachable when moms and dads get indirectly involved. They may not have direct conversation with a coach, but if your son is complaining he's not happy sitting the bench, telling him to go back and ask coach what he can do is what he is going to do (listen to you). Can you imagine the coach getting asked that question many times a day? Players and their parents should know when they enter HS what needs to be done to get the job done, you shouldn't have to ask....more practice in the cages, more conditioning, perhaps some lessons, perhaps you just need to grow up a bit more mentally and physically.
Come on, it's not that hard to figure out.

I think a lot of this comes from playing higher level travel ball, your sons have done well, now you and he think he deservesa spot on the roster.
In many parts of the country HSBB is a step level down, many are there because it is an extra curricular activity and they are entitled to be there as much as anyone, even if BB is not in their future.

JMO.
Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.