Skip to main content

A few weeks ago a local orphanage in the Clemson area went to watch a game. DK was pitching that night and word got back to him that an 11 year old girl had fallen in love with #47.
My son later found out that this little girl had been removed from her home because the parents were both drug addicts and she had been neglected.
This morning my son went to visit the little girl, with signed ball in hand, to have lunch with her in the school cafeteria. Although she was pretty speechless most of the time, my son said she was the cutest thing he had ever seen, how sad to think that someone had neglected her.
Dave called me immediately after the visit, to tell me that he was so proud of himself for bringing joy to this cutie pie. He told me that it was a greater feeling than winning the toughest game, or compared it to a better feeling than being awarded for the things he had worked towards and gotten.
There comes a time when a parent wonders when their son will become a man, the daughter a woman. Today, with tears streaming down my face after the story, I realized that he had crossed the line a little further from adolecence to adulthood. He finally realized that although he may have less material things than many of his friends, what is important is the love and support of your family and friends, nothing else matters. To be a special person, you have to learn to give of yourself with not expecting anything in return. Although these were values we instilled in our kids, one never really knows if it sinks in or not.
He also realized today, the impact that just being a "college baseball player" can have on a young child. That being a role model was more important than being a young stud!
We always post about how proud we are of our boys' accomplishments on the field. Today, for me, I also realize that he has accomplished much more than being a good pitcher or an excellent student.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Me again... we should start a thread for stories like this one. It would be a great way to present ideas to other parents/players about ways they could impact their communities as well. I have always believed it is our individual responsibility to give to our communities and what a great way for our boys to contribute but through their baseball. TPM is exactly right, there is a responsibility that goes along with being a college baseball player no matter what level. You never know who is watching, learning and imitating.

Again, what a great story this is and a great kid!
Thanks all, I posted this story because I always felt that my son was lacking in having more humility, he has gained quite a bit this year. Sometimes, when given lots of attention in one area, we tend to forget who we are and where we come from. It's not all about one's accomplishments on the field or in the classroom, it was an eye opener.
So when giving your son/daughter kudos, remember it is not all about the things they excell in, recognize those other accomplishments as well.
Frank,
Baseball players at CU need to give in community time. Some choose to work in the cafeteria, some choose to go to schools, etc. He will have to put in this time as well.
However, I was proud that he did this on his own, without it being a requirement. Thanks.
TPM, you certainly deserve to be very proud of your son. He has shown a character quality that will bless those around him during his walk through this life. What a terrific example to the other players. And that child will not forget his kind deed. Odds are, the child will someday repay the kindness to another in need.

My proudest legacy from coaching? Seeing one of my former players, now in HS, round up his team and lead them out of the dugout before their game. As they knelt around him in the grass, he led the team in prayer before the game. Just as I had always done when coaching. For this old, worn out and retired coach, it made it all worthwhile.

There are things more important and more lasting than sports.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.