Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Battleball or Dodgeball should be a varsity sport. At my kids HS there is an elective gym class and I think it's called Alternaive Sports where they play games you don't find on TV. There's a waiting list to get in and when they play games there are usually more spectators than many other school sports. They play water polo, cricket, Rugby, canoe racing, and many others. They will also make up their own games that involves documenting rules, testing, and fine tuning. It is very co-ed and from what I heard no one skips that class.
Last edited by rz1
By todays standards my parents and the folks involved in my schools made a great many mistakes in molding me in my younger years. I wish I could find them all now so I could thank them one at a time.

you want to see a bunch of kids have trouble paying attention in class. Don't let them run off any of their energy at recess. Who thinks sof this stuff?
No chasing games. This is why America is full of obese kids. I was a PE teacher for a while and we played dodgeball, flag football etc. and other chasing games with the smaller kids. For some time now we have had what I call the "woosification of Americas youth". We are fostering a generation of children who will soon have no idea about the importance of competition and how it can be beneficial to them. By failing and then succeeding at times it makes them learn what it takes to be a well rounded individual in not only sports but in life in general. This stuff just ticks me off.
TO THOSE BORN 1930-1979

Born 1930-1979!

TO ALL THE KIDS

WHO SURVIVED the
1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and

NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because….

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them. . CONGRATULATIONS!

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
YEA deldad, Everything you said.

We all survived.
Well most of us!!

Mom's would feed you breakfast, Open the back door and close it behind you.
No wonder they drank and smoked.
They knew what was best for us.
But it did not mean they weren't Worried to death.

Quote:
And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

I don't know how Brave we were.
But lucky to of Survived. LOL
EH
Child-proof caps. I remember when they came on the scene...many years after the arrival of seatbelts and padded dashboards.

They didn't have those caps back in the late 50's when my mom came into the kitchen and discovered a toddling gotwood with a glass full of Drano and a spoon.

I've never been told whether I managed to ingest any of it, but one thing is for certain...I've never been bothered by hairballs...ever.

Yup...that's the stuff...kitchen crystals.
Last edited by gotwood4sale
They don't have field days around here anymore. The other day I ran across my little ribbon for the greased pig contest at Hartwood Elementary.Ah...my greatest moment.....I tried to have one (greased pig contest)at a tourney we were hosting a couple years back for a team fundraiser.We have a couple sows and show hogs.Almost everyone slammed that idea...worried about insurance,liability,etc..Never happened.I know that would have been a tourney a lot of kids would have never forgotten.I wish I would have tried harder in hindsight.
While I do agree that kids these days are growing incredibly wimpy (I worked as a YMCA camp counselor this summer, it was actually depressing how some of these kids are raised), I just thought I'd remind those born before 1980 that they are part of the generation raising these kids to be wimps. Please, unplug the XBox, grab the glove and ball and play some catch!

I was born in 1985 and was lucky enough to be raised in a neighborhood that had kids everywhere and great parents. We always were outside playing baseball in front yards, basketball, skateboarding, or playing a game on our bikes called Cops and Robbers which involved knocking each other off of our bikes going at high rates of speed. Man those were the days!
I don't know if it's my age or what but this is starting to confuse me. I think we can all agree that the problem started with and rests in the hands of todays parents, but does it?

Who is making these rules? I mean really making the rules, what age? My guess is that those making the rules are 40-50 years old. The way we have talked is that 40-50 years ago kids were tough, got outside, and did things. What happened to these people, I'm one of them?

I don't think the blame can be entirely put on parents of today but rather on us, the baby boomer generation. We outsmarted ourselves. The technology was put in front of our face and with a little inginuity we could make life easier and more technologically advanced for the next generation. We developed and put computer games, thousands of tv channels, designer drugs, cell phones, and many other things in the hands of todays generation. You will say "you don't have to use them", but, remember back when you were 10-12 and something new came out and everyone else had it, I'm sure you were also in that line, so please don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. The only difference was that there were not that many "new" things that came out.

This carries over one step further. When we were growing up that adult toy called "litigation" was not an option. Now it is, thanks again to the laywers of our generation who have made it impossible to have fun inside the box.

So when you look at kids sitting in front of the pc screen remember who put it there. I had a great time when I was a kid, but unlike my parents whos definition of a job meant physical work, my generation got to go to work and play with new toys and most jobs became more "mental".

Now the kicker. Those who can afford the new toys are sitting at home playing with them, those who were similar to use because they are at parks looking for pickup games are now called gangs.

If you take away the technogical toys our generation developed, kids would still be outside playing the games the same way we did.
Last edited by rz1
quote:
Who is making these rules? I mean really making the rules, what age? My guess is that those making the rules are 40-50 years old
you are correct BUT, there are folks like us 40-50 (ok maybe 55 Wink) that have been out in the real world contributing in some way -

there's another set of 40-50 yr olds who never figured out how to contribute in any way AND live in the "hypothetical world" - they make rules & policy for us

Last edited by Bee>
quote:
that you gotta have COMMON SENSE

I agree, but put their shoe on your foot. Maybe they do have common sense working within their parameters.

If your insurance carrier told you that incidences that were caused by your inability to control a situation would result in raised rates and/or lawsuits. At the same time the taxpayer is saying he will not be responsible for higher operational costs. As a result you state in a written rule what a school will not allow which removes them as the responsible party for litigation.

It's sad but I'll bet if many of us had those same rules to work with the outcome may be the same.
Last edited by rz1
quote:
you are correct BUT, there are folks like us 40-50 (ok maybe 55 ) that have been out in the real world contributing in some way -

Bee- I'm with you completely but I think we are part of the "competitive" minority. We have taken our kids and sent them outside the box and as a result with have found others with the same thoughts and that is our "sub-culture". As a result we have removed the kids and us from those who make and follow the PC rules. Fortunatly that alienation from that part of society was the poison I chose.
Last edited by rz1
the insurance annalogy is on the right track, but - -

CLEVELAND (AP) — "School districts in northeast Ohio spent $41 million over the past three years on legal fees even though state law allows districts to get free legal services from the government ... A mostly ignored state law allows either a city law director or county prosecutor — depending on the community — to be the lawyer for most school boards, without compensation ... but most school districts do not bother to ask or they refuse offers of free advice"

it's too easy to feel powerful & smart when you get to spend someone elses $$

PD article

Last edited by Bee>
06catcherdad:

I agree with you completely. And I'm an open-minded guy. I don't think returning to the days of common sense being prevalent is a backward step as those people that espouse political correctness would have you believe.

Unfortunately the common sense that you speak of has gradually eroded away over the years as a result of the constant and relentless crush of political correctness. Common sense was once a well chiseled rock that you could reach out and touch and steady yourself with.

Now it is a beaten down, smooth, lump with no hand holds...replaced by a mushy, unappetizing, bucket of cold, uninspiring politically correct stew. How did this come about? I'm not sure, but I do know there is a great deal of clamoring to have political correctness loosen it's smothering grip on us.

Let's not abandon the good, solid, things from the past...like common sense. If it's worthy we should retain it, and incorporate it into today's world.

Much of the political correctness that has been foisted upon us should be jettisoned...if any of it has merit then it should survive...otherwise arrivederci...forever.
Last edited by gotwood4sale
If a government agency was directed to give FREE advise and blow off their other duties, how good and thought out would that free advice be? My guess is some low level staff member would be assigned and you would probably not be giving the best representation. I'd stick with those I trust.

Is "trusting a laywer" an oxymoron? Like Jumbo shrimp
Last edited by rz1
it's only tabbed free because the taxpayers (school parents) are aready paying for it -
sure every 5-7 yrs get some specialized help for labor negotiations etc,

the 12th grade civics class could probably review the routine things like lightbulb & fuel contracts

& who would ya guess is handling the routine stuff at Dewey, Cheatem & Howe Attys LLC - - -
a low level staff member @ $400/hr

Last edited by Bee>
CadDad:

quote:
Originally posted by AcademyDad:
When tag is outlawed....

Only outlaws will play tag.

I know the guys on the force here in town...when this nutty idea lands here...and you know it will...then the cops can round up the bad guys easily. They just have to be on the lookout for grown men running around trying to paw at each other.

Of course in certain sections of Chicago, i.e.Boy's Town, the bad guys could hang out all the time cuz' that type of behavior goes on all of the time!

Not Wheaton...Riverside...near Brookfield Zoo.

Didn't have the pleasure of staying and playing with ol' Coach Buzboom. He sounds like he was a character.

Welcome aboard the HSBBW CadDad!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.