Skip to main content

It is pretty rare when a single high school has multiple students committed to play baseball at major Division 1 programs. It is even more rare when there are three of those players who are all juniors, committed before their junior baseball season even begins.

Danny Hayes, a class of '09 student at Sacramento's Jesuit High School, has just committed to the Oregon State Beavers. He joins Andrew Susac, another Jesuit '09, who is committed to Oregon State and Jimmy Bosco, the third Jesuit class of '09 student, who is committed to Cal-Berkeley.

Nine months ago, Danny Hayes suffered a serious injury when his pelvis split at the point where his hamstring tendon attaches. He couldn't even walk for a period of time, let alone run or play baseball. With a ton of dedication and hard work, he's transformed himself back into one of the top high school players in the class of 2009, and has just realized a dream of his with this opportunity to play for one of the top baseball teams in the entire nation.

These three young men form a very unusual and talented core for Jesuit these next two seasons. While I imagine that other schools have had three underclassmen commit early before, I'm not aware of any examples; especially at schools of this caliber.

Congratulations guys!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
It is pretty rare when a single high school has multiple students committed to play baseball at major Division 1 programs.
How about two kids from a high school in Maine (Deering) playing SEC ball at Vanderbilt? Ryan Flaherty (ss) and Andrew Giobbi (c, dh, 1b).
Last edited by RJM
Sometimes the stars allign and teams come together with an incredible abundance of talent.

Congratulations to those young men.

From my sons team as a sophmore the number 1 pitcher was drafted 7th round by the Cubs, #3 pitcher just graduated from Oglethorpe, and the catcher from FIU.

When he was a junior both the #1 and #2 pitchers went to Notre Dame, one was drafted last year by the Rockies and the other is returning as the weekend starter at ND, the center fielder was drafted out of HS by the Orioles, the 3rd starter is a senior pitching for FAU and the 4th pitcher was drafted this year by the Cubs. The catcher is now an infielder in the Cardinals organization and the back up catcher is playing at Nova University.

From his senior year our SS was drafted in the 4th round by the Dodgers, 3rd base is playing at a D2 in West Virginia, 2nd base at Northwood University, right field at PBCC and my son is at Lafayette.

This was a public school in Florida that didn't recruit, they just went through a stretch where an incredible amount of talent was in the same place at the same time.
That is pretty amazing. I think Jesuit might win a few ballgames this year!

Speaking of OSU -- two young men who went through my son's high school at the same time are now teammates on the pitching staff for the Beavers. We thought THAT was amazing - having two D1 pitchers on the same high school team.

Three who have committed junior year is really something. (Of course, private schools are a bit different, not being geographically limited.)
quote:
This was a public school in Florida that didn't recruit, they just went through a stretch where an incredible amount of talent was in the same place at the same time.

Way back in the day my high schools basketball team made it to the state finals. We went up against a team (defending State Champ) that had two future NBA stars on the team, 6-9 PF and a 6-11 center. We did not fair well.I was reminded of it the other day while watching the #1 college team on TV and they were showing some of the stars/NBA players that had played on the team.
I don't find it that unusual. How about Wolfson HS in Jax, two first rounders in 2004. We have alot of schools here where multiple players get either drafted in high rounds or go to top D1 programs in the nation, many to the same school, same year.
As far as travel teams, we have one here who sends almost half the team to top programs (many the same) and top draft picks each year. On son's travel team, about half headed out to top programs, many the, scouts same each year.

I think this may not be the stars lining up in order just recruiting coaches knowing where or who they can go to find good talent. JMO.

Coach May can tell you about many players in the same year that get signed at one school.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
TPM

Again I must respectfully disagree with you

Across the country High Schools having more than one player going to Division I baseball, much less college baseball of any level, are rare, regardless of what state they are in.

CADad said he felt it was a rare occurance, I stated I found it not unusual. Maybe where you are it is, not here or in many other places. JMO.

But thank you for the respectful reply.
Last edited by TPM
Chatsworth High School had 3 guys drafted in 2007. Two in the 1st round. They could have had 4, but Chatsworth would not allow Andrew Lambo to transfer in. Lambo's family moved to Newbury Park and he transfered to Newbury Park HS. He was drafted in the 4th round. The number of top picks coming out of our area is pretty amazing. Perhaps it's the radiation leakage from the old Rocketdyne facility? Ryan Braun, Trevor Plouffe, Jason Hirsh, Garret Anderson, Jeff Suppan, Jon Garland, Gary Matthews Jr., Ed Deggerman, etc. I find it interesting that the Angels now have 3 guys that attended the same high school in the San Fernando Valley.
Last edited by MTS
We are a small 1A school in NC and have had 1 kid maybe 2 go on to play college baseball ever, this year we have 1 D-1, 2 that have been offered letters of intent to JUCO programs, another 2 young men that are still taking visits to a few D2 programs. We could have up to 5 young men continue their baseball career and our graduating class this year will be 120 strong.
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
TPM

It is not unusual based on what?

See MTS post above. Very common in FL, TX, California, Georgia, now you see more of it in South Carolina, North Carolina. I think Coach May told me he had 3 players on his travel team signed at Clemson. On my son's HS team we had 3 sign, two to top ACC schools one to a top mid D1. HSchools in Miami regularly turn out top D1 players and drafted players.

It is not a rare occurance from my perspective. JMO.
Last edited by TPM
Do all the posters in this thread understand what 06catcherdad was describing as rare?

He is talking about 3 juniors from one HS making early committments to D1 schools. He isn't talking about how many have been drafted or actually signed during their senior year.

I think it is rare, but I do wonder if it simply reflects an increased tendency to make early committments.
quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
Do all the posters in this thread understand what 06catcherdad was describing as rare?

He is talking about 3 juniors from one HS making early committments to D1 schools. He isn't talking about how many have been drafted or actually signed during their senior year.

I think it is rare, but I do wonder if it simply reflects an increased tendency to make early committments.

3 committing early to same school is rare, I don't know if I see that as a positive though, I am not in favor of early junior committs. And may be just be the sign of the times. IMO. But if this is a private school that has lots of baseball talent that's not unusual.

Kevin11 makes a good point, IMO, we are seeing more and more HS kids going on to play college ball after HS. There are lots and lots of kids coming from all over the country going to large successful D1 programs from everywhere. That's because exposure is abundant these days, college camps in full swing, showcases, tournies, etc. years ago it was not.

Best of luck.
Last edited by TPM
I'm almost afraid to jump into the middle of this but..... a plug for our high school this year.

2008 Aptos High School, Aptos, CA has 5 D1 commits with 2 that had verbaled after their Sophomore seasons. And I do agree with TPM-that really is too early for most kids. This is a public high school and 3 of these boys are from the LL World Series team that won the West and went to William sport in 2002 We have been fortunate to have incredible coaches (retired MLB pitchers) that have worked really hard to help make this team so successful.
This all sounds great! May I ask how many of these schools are considered "public schools"? In MD, we consider public schools to be schools that only have students from their immediate area. We have several power schools that might have more than one player playing in college at a Div I school, but those schools are mostly private/parochial schools that recruit specific athletic talent.
What I was noting in my original post was how unusual it is for three JUNIORS to commit to schools of this caliber before their junior season even begins. Jesuit is a private school and does seem to attract a lot of good baseball talent. They DO NOT recruit. They DO have large numbers of families who apply to gain admission to their school for their sons. It is not just about the sports, it is mainly to get a very fine high school education. With the type of students they accept, they tend to have excellent teams in each given sport. As an example, they have some of the top high school rugby and s****r teams in the nation each year, and have been past highs school national champs in rugby.

I agree with TPM that you'll occaisionally see multiple numbers of signees from a single school in states like California and Florida, but those players are almost always seniors who've commmited in the fall of their senior year or are spring signings, not JUNIORS going to the two time defending national champions. It isn't nearly so rare for this to happen with some travel teams, as those teams tend to attract this type of talent. Indeed, all three of these boys play summer ball with the same travel club, the EDH Vipers. There are a couple more '09s who play with us that may commit to Pac-1 or similar league schools in the next month or two as well. Overall, I expect that we'll have 9 or 10 players from the class of 2009 who end up with college baseball scholarships or who are drafted out of high school. That isn't so unusual for some of the better travel teams.

More than anything, I wanted to start this thread to congratulate Danny Hayes. If you'd have seen him last June, you'd have wondered if he'd recover from his injury well enough to play at a high level anytime soon. This kid has worked extremely hard for months to get to where he is, and it's not only in the gym. He and the other two boys I mentioned, Jimmy Bosco and Andrew Susac, also put in just as much effort in the classroom. All three are taking private SAT tutoring in addition to what their school offers, and are working hard toward academic success as much as athletic success.
My sons HS team has 4 college signees. 2 D-1, 2 JUCO. The D-1's are Arizona and Louisiana Lafayette.

His summer travel team has the following players ranked nationally by PGCrosschecker.com with their college commitments:

#81-Arkansas
#92-Texas
#163-Texas A&M
#171-Uncommited
#192-Louisiana-Lafayette
#195-Texas
#346-Oklahoma
#583-Nebraska
#678-Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
#694-Texas Christian
#735-Nebraska
#797-Missouri
#1019-Uncommited
#1069-Navarro-JUCO
#1220-Uncommited
#1245-Wofford

Should be a fun summer watching these kids play!!
Last edited by Old Pitcher
quote:
Originally posted by larrythompson:
This all sounds great! May I ask how many of these schools are considered "public schools"? In MD, we consider public schools to be schools that only have students from their immediate area. We have several power schools that might have more than one player playing in college at a Div I school, but those schools are mostly private/parochial schools that recruit specific athletic talent.

Garret Anderson, Jon Garland, Gary Matthews Jr. and Terrmel Sledge came from the same public high school. Other guys from our town include John Elway, Jeff Suppan, Jeff Cirillo, Ryan Braun (1st Round Brewers), Ed Degerman (4th round St Louis), Matt Cassell (New England Patriots, has two brothers in the minor leagues) Trevor Plouffe (1st Round Twins), Brad Fulmer, Damon Buford, Rich Aude, Tim Laker, Josh Ravin (5th Round Cinncinati Reds), Matt Dominguez (1st Round, in the same draft his brother Jason was picked in the 31st round by Houston), Mike Moustakas (1st Round), Oliver Padre (sophomore at University of Arizona Wildcats).
Please excuse if I go in a slightly different direction with this, but I think the message needs to be sent that it's not all about the status of the high school. My son was the first baseball player from his HS in over 20 years to go to a D1 program. That's pretty rare occurrence I'd say, and I'd like to think that he opened up the door for more to follow.

I mention this not to take anything away from the kids in power programs like Jesuit, that's a great story and a tremendous accomplishment. I bring it up because kids that stay in their home schools and perhaps lesser programs can still get to the next level. You don't have to move or transfer to a baseball powerhouse just because that's what everyone else wants. Keeping up with the Joneses is not the answer.

You can advance by working hard on your game, making the most of your god given abilities, and by seeking out good solid advice like that offered here on the HSBBW. You don't have to move uptown to do that.
Last edited by spizzlepop
congratulations spizzle! That is also a wonderful accomplishment. You are correct in stating that perhaps his signing will lead to more. Last year, another of our former kids, Brent Hottman, became the first baseball player from Oak Ridge High School in many, many years to sign a deal to play at a D1 school, Sacramento State. Since then, two more players have signed with the Hornets. It can happen at your son's school as well. I hope it does.
Last edited by 06catcherdad
deserving kudos to those young men Smile

by 06C-Dad:
"Jesuit is a private school and does seem to attract a lot of good baseball talent. They DO NOT recruit" .... as is also the case w/Jesuits HS's in this area and most others (wink-wink .. wink-wink)

but thanks for the commercial Wink which btw fits the defintion of recruiting
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
Originally posted by CaBB:
I'm almost afraid to jump into the middle of this but..... a plug for our high school this year.

2008 Aptos High School, Aptos, CA has 5 D1 commits with 2 that had verbaled after their Sophomore seasons. And I do agree with TPM-that really is too early for most kids. This is a public high school and 3 of these boys are from the LL World Series team that won the West and went to William sport in 2002 We have been fortunate to have incredible coaches (retired MLB pitchers) that have worked really hard to help make this team so successful.

Just to add on to CaBB - Aptos high school has 1300 kids. I think it is simply amazing to have a public high school of 1300 kids with 5 D-1 Seniors leading off the lineup. And these are not just D1 players - two of them are very highly rated by PG Cross Checker's 2008 National rankings: Kevin Eichhorn - 101 and Bobby Crocker - 161.

Some of the other public high school classes described above may have had as many or more D1s - but in a school of 1300? BTW - Aptos does not have another high school - just the one - so kids do not select their high school - it is just luck of the draw - and some great coaching and work ethic.

Looking forward to playing against them this year!!!

based on the comments up to this point I am MUCH more impressed with Aptos High School. A private school pretty much recruits players from all over in an indirect way but we all know they do it. It also costs quite a bit to attend private school...the kids attending a private school are more likely to have had much more training (because they can afford it) over the course of their youth years and into high school. I AM NOT SLAMMING private schools at all and I am not slamming private baseball instruction. It's a great accomplishment for the young man to come back from that injury.
Spizzle,
Now THAT is what I consider RARE!

We have private schools here that regurlary turn out top recruits in every sport, they also claim they don't recruit. Yet I find it strange that so many talented players end up at those schools. Since FL changed it's transfer rules, there is more parity between private and public.
We have some schools here with 2500-3000 that produce players to top D1 schools. Before they built a new HS a few years back, sons school attendance was about 2000.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.