Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am a first baseman, and one of my biggest pet peeves is when the infielders throw it on very very short hops on routine throws. I would rather them throw it a little high, or bounce it several feet away because it's much easier to field. Also, use a four seam grip, if you don't already because it helps keep the ball from moving around, making it much easier to catch. This only happens in a perfect world I know, but if you do, you will be the first basemans best friend.
We ask our players to throw the ball the the first baseman's belt. If our shirts are a different color than the pants, we say find the separation of color and deliver the throw to it. I would much rather give my 1st baseman a chance to dig one out of the dirt than to over throw one, in which case we have no way to stop the ball. We always throw to the waist and it has worked well.
I'd say aim for the lower part of the chest, not much different from the belt. I'd also agree to use a 4 seam grip. Also, if the ball's hit hard enough, it wouldn't hurt to take a step toward first to cut down the distance of the throw. After you make the throw let your momentum continue to take you a couple steps towards first.
Don't plan on failure (e.g. aim low in case you sail one, etc.). Aim right at the center of his chest.

Be sure you don't "pat" the ball after receiving the grounder. That time wasting habit can cost a close play.

Don't take extra steps toward first before throwing. Bad habit that wastes time. Get a good set and make a strong throw (assuming it is not a running scoop situation, of course).

Four seam is best, if you have time. Sometimes you won't have time to shift the grip.

Whenever time allows, try to be sure & set well. If you get a good set, the throw will be much stronger and more accurate.
Last edited by Texan
Purelife,

What are using as a target when you throw your warmup throws during pregame. You should be starting close and moving out to 150' or more. You should be looking at some kind of target then as well.

My son plays 1B (as did I 30 yrs ago) and one thing that will help you is to always throw your pre-inning warmup throws as if it were a play in the game. Take balls to your left and right, not just slow rollers right at you.

This will help you become more accurate. Do NOT throw a lazy lollipop throw or fool around throwing knuckle balls. This is a major issue I see with many teams. They do not believe the pre-inning warmups need to be taken seriously.

My son is 6'5" with very long arms and can easily dunk a basketball. If you overthrow a firstbaseman his size, (if he jumps with a firstbaseman's mitt on, he can get a ball that is 11+' up) you really have a problem. This should never happen on routine plays. On an occassional off balance play, I can see where it may happen.

Low throws will happen from time to time, but I do not think it is a good idea to tell an infielder to try to throw it low. He should be focused on throwing to the center of the firstbaseman's body from the belt to the letters. This is the same area we tell players to throw to during most throwing drills and pre-game warmups.

If your throws are consistently high, the cue of "throw low" may help you get the ball on target, but you do not in general want to be having your 1Bman having to dig out a high percentage of throws. Especially in HS ball, where you are not playing on pristine fields preped by qualified ground crews. The ball can some crazy hops that even a highly skilled player at first can't get.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.