===============
@robyounce & @seethegear on Twitter & Instagram

WWBA World Champions (Jupiter) - 2013, 2014, 2015

17u PG World Series - 2013

17u WWB Champions - 2014

16u WWB Champions - 2013, 2010, 2009

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cox hangs on to beat FC 5-4. Ryan Mattes with the win and Richie Salter with the save. Tense game as always between these two neighborhood rivals. Cox jumped out to a 5-1 lead thanks in large part to some very shaky defense, but FC battled back on the strength of a pair of back to back solo HR's by Blake Boyce and ?(sorry, neglected to get his name...I'm sure someone can fill it in). That brought on Richie Salter to stem the tide and he was able to get out of the inning but gave up another run to put the Patriots within 1 going into the 7th. Salter was up to the task in the 7th and set the FC hitters down in order(thanks in large part to some stellar defensive plays..including a major league defensive play by 3b Zach Bach on a ball fielded deep down the line to take the wind out of the Patriots' sails). On a day when the Patriot bats definitely outshone those of the Facons, I was very glad that in baseball you have to play both offense AND defense.
WB 12 DC 2. Shane Johnsonbaugh pitched a complete game for his first Varsity win. Brandon Doggett had 3 hits (single, double, triple) and 4 RBIs. Garrett Brooks and Nick Thompson had 2 hits a piece. Jordan Kidd, Shane Johnsonbaugh, Matt Batten, James Fiorella & Tyler Manugo each contributed a hit.

Cam Stewart & Corbett Casteen had RBI singles for DC.
Now for the rest of the story… ellis started through 1st 3 innings giving up an unearned run 3k’s 0BB 2H. After GF’s 5 run third inning apparently his arm tighten up but finished the 4th giving up 2 earned runs. Same relief pitcher that came in at IR game started the 5th inning and couldn’t find the strike zone, giving up 3BB and 3H’s and 4 earned runs. After 2/3’s of an inning Delgado came in to close the door. Garuer (sry for spelling) came in, in relief of their starter and did a great job silencing the bats after only giving up 2 runs. Delgado in the 6th struck out the #2 and #3 hitters for hickory and the fourth batter hit a screaming fly ball that landed just behind the pitcher’s mound. The pitcher lost sight of the ball and the infield wasn’t able to get there, next pitch the number 5 batter banged it over the fence. Great job hickory.
Last edited by GF
GF- Sounds like you IF was sleeping on that play. Even if playing back on the grass, they should be able to get to a high pop up behind the pitchers mound with ease. You can't expect your pitcher to cover that. We had a similar play that resulted in FC's 1st run. High pop up, 1b calls early (probably too early) and settles under it. 2b circles behind as he should, but ball starts to drift behind 1b and instead of calling him off, 2b retreats as 1b backpedals and ball falls between
Last edited by Chris Taylor
Chris, I have to agree. No idea where the 2B was but .. to me it should have been the SS play – if that was an E that would have been his 3rd. 3B was there but had a longer run to the ball. Errors have decreased some and the bats are starting to come around but at 1 – 3 they can’t be giving games away. Not to take anything away from Hickory, the door was opened and they did a great job of taking advantage of it.
Very light rain now and has only been light today. The infield has been tarped all day. If game time were now, I would say the game is on. The players will remove the tarp tomorrow morning if it is not raining. If there is no heavy rain between now and tomorrow evening (scattered thunderstorms are in the forecast), my bet would be that the game will be played.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.