Skip to main content

I've moved the comprehensive list here (so it is on the first page of this thread). I'll be happy to make corrections, add names, etc.; just let me know via post on the board.

The list provides, with all your input, a look at the rising seniors that'll be reckoned with next year.

Here is a list of all players listed on this thread (as of June 12, 2007).

Garret Anderson, FC
Wil Armistead, Bayside
Aaron Atkinson, Caroline
Hunter Bacot The Miller School
Byron Barber, Kempsville
Jesse Beal, South County
Daniel Bergemesca, Langley
Jack Bergsman, Yorktown
Brett Bowers, Paul VI
Micky Bozek-Centerville
Jackie Bradley, Prince George
Marcus Breeden, Maury
Dan Brion- salem
Reed Bromley, inf/P, PVI
Jeremy Brown, RHP/OF Culpeper
Richie Brown, Westfield, P/InfJim Buckley, Lake Braddock
Taylor Buran Benedictine
Pat Callahan (OF, Granby)
Phillip Clark (MIF, Norfolk Collegiate)
Ryan Crosby Notre Dame
Seth Cutler-Voltz, Henrico
Matt Davenport (RHP, Nansemond Suffolk)
Andrew Deal LC Bird
Kevinn Fangio, Westfield, P/Inf
Collin Flaherty-Madison
Max Fishetti- fc
Brett Frazier, South County
Dustin Galbraith, Freeman
Eddie Gonzalez, Langley
Jimmy Grassano,Salem
Davis Hall, Herndon, RHP
Shane Halley, Lake Braddock
Chris Hardee, Manchester
John Austin Hicks, Goochland
Mike Hitti, Herndon, LHP
Bobby Horton Stuart SS B R Falls Church VA
Will Hudgins, Freeman
Matt Irwin, Stone Bridge
Jessie Jeter, Madison
Chris Johnson, Green Run
Zach Jung Collegiate
Jacob Karr, LC Bird
Joshua Karr, L.C. Bird
Von Kaufman, Greenbrier Christian
Max Langford, RHP, Chantilly
Frankie Lewis, OL
Kyle Long STAB
Jake Lowery, Cosby
Conner Madden, inf, Oakton
Ryan Mallory, Midlothian
Shannon Mark, Lake Braddock
Daniel Marrs (James River)
Brooks Martin, Deep Run
Charlie McCann St. Christopher's
Adam McConnell Tabb
Tim McCormack, OF, PVI
Brent Mikionis, Powhatan
Alex Miller, Lake Braddock
Bret Mitchell, Greenbrier Christian
Jacob Morley, Woodson
Keith Morrisroe, C, Chantilly
Matt Murakami, inf, PVI
Robbie Newman-salem
Chad O'Connor, Western Branch
Robert Oldham, James River
Grayson Partlowe, Warren County
Taylor Perkins, Dinwiddie
Danny Phillips, Chantilly, OF
Karter Rivera, Maury
Alfredo Rodriguez Jr Oakton
George Schaefer (RHP, Bishop Sullivan)
Ronnie Shaban, Cosby
Kevin Sias, Midlothian
Matt Snyder-Westfield
Mike Snyder-Westfield
Dustin Sollars, Cosby
Chris Somers, Chantilly
Pat Somers, LHP, Chantilly
Austin Stadler (James River)
Michael Stancik Stone Bridge
Kenny Stoneback, Colonial Heights
Casey Sutton-Centreville
Ben Tomchick, PA
Andrew Thomas, St. Alban's
Bris Tison-Madison
Ben Tomchick- pa
Angel Vega, Oscar Smith
Peter Verdin, Paul VI
Kevin Wager, Oakton
Jordan Walton, Lee-Davis
Gary Ward (LHP, Hickory)
Chris Warren -bayside
Keith Werman, Oakton
Brian Wheaton, Stone Bridge
Michael Wiley- bayside
Drew Wilkinson, Cox
Bret Williams, Oakton Chase Worthington (Atlee)
Chris Yates, RHP, Chantilly

************original message that started the thread *************************************
I ran across this on a rivals.com board somewhere (didn't think to get the url) but it was posted with free access (so not posting restricted stuff). I know there are more 08s out there in VA than listed here.

So, starting the discussion, who are the 08s on the radar???

Hunter Bacot The Miller School P L R Charlottesville VA
Jeremy Brown Culpeper P R R Rixeyville VA
Ryan Crosby Notre Dame Academy P R R Broad Run VA
Charlie McCann St. Christopher's P R R Richmond VA
Adam McConnell Tabb SS R R Yorktown VA
Alfredo Rodriguez Jr Oakton SS R R Oak Hill VA
Kevin Sias Sacrament C R R Chesterfield VA
Michael Stancik Stone Bridge SS R R Ashburn VA
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Will Roberts is at Maggie Walker Governor's School.

You can get a more reliable list by going to PGCrosschecker.com

In addition to the above, but in no particular order, here are many that come immediately to mind:

Jake Lowery, Cosby
Ronnie Shaban, Cosby
Dustin Sollars, Cosby
Ryan Mallory, Midlothian
Chris Hardee, Manchester
Jacob and Joshua Karr, L.C. Bird
Will Hudgins, Freeman
Aaron Atkinson, Caroline
Keith Werman, Oakton
Kevin Wager, Oakton
Jesse Jeter, Madison
Peter Verdin, Paul VI
Bret Williams, Oakton
quote:
I ran across this on a rivals.com board somewhere (didn't think to get the url) but it was posted with free access (so not posting restricted stuff). I know there are more 08s out there in VA than listed here.

So, starting the discussion, who are the 08s on the radar???

I see a lot of names being thrown out here.

However, what was your original intention/definition of "on the radar"?
2008 that are draftable?
D1 players?
College Players?
Best in their district/region?

Based on your response, this list could get A LOT bigger, or if you were asking about draftable talent, would be MUCH smaller.......just looking for some clarification.

Thanks!
BTW, I know many of the players on this list AND THEY ARE EXCELLENT BALLPLAYERS!
Original intention stemmed from the fact that I ran across the site on the internet and it was very limited in 2008 players from Virginia; plus, I knew of some excellent ballplayers not on that list, so I was shocked they didn't show up. So, given the limited numbers of players cited on that site and knowing that there are a lot more Va players out there that should have been listed, I was just curious about players in Va that should be considered as "on the radar" for next year. So, I guess I was interested in players that are being considered by college scouts, which would by default include those likely to be on mlb draftboards.
From my perspective, the bigger the list, the better for Va players. We all know the perils of trying to come up with a list of the best players, i.e., some rate ____ player highly, while others don't rate the same players similarly.
So, no real intention other than sheer curiousity as well as an interest in starting a conversation about who people think are some of the best players in Va. I agree that it could be a long list, but talking about those newcomers, or those that have come on strong this year could provide some interest.
I really didn't think about it when posting, but, since you mentioned it, I guess I was just curious about ballplayers that can/will play in college.
Last edited by doctorbuzzy
Based on doctorbuzzy's clarification, I will add the following names:

Jessie Jeter, Madison
Matt Irwin, Stone Bridge
Jack Bergsman, Yorktown
Jim Buckley, Lake Braddock
Jesse Beal, South County
Brig Tison, Madison
Jacob Morley, Woodson
Eddie Gonzalez, Langley
Matt Snyder, Westfield
Mike Snyder, Westfield
Chris Somers, Chantilly

I have seen all of these guys play (with the exception of Bergsman) in either HS or summer ball, and they are all legit college prospects (not necessarily D1, though)
Last edited by jbbaseball
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
More to add:

Brent Mikionis, Powhatan
Jordan Walton, Lee-Davis
Brooks Martin, Deep Run
Will Hudgins, Freeman

Heard thru the grapevine that Seth was named Capital District Player of the Year and a first team pitcher selection. Congrats to a great player and a great young man!
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Taylor:
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
More to add:

Brent Mikionis, Powhatan
Jordan Walton, Lee-Davis
Brooks Martin, Deep Run
Will Hudgins, Freeman

Heard thru the grapevine that Seth was named Capital District Player of the Year and a first team pitcher selection. Congrats to a great player and a great young man!

You are correct. This info has been posted on their website.
http://www.baseball-teams.com/teams/HenricoWarriors/
Hey Stoney, I find it very funny that you would mention will armistead for bayside, whom i might add played a total of about 5 games this year, before you would mention their centerfielder zaine jack. According to the paper he finished the year batting .421 and was practically defensively sound throughout the whole year, comitting only 1 error. He was also very strong at the plate during Bayside's tourney run going 4 for 8 with a pair of singles, a double, and a triple, as well as comitting no errors. Don't get me wrong, I have seen Will play and he is very good, but you should try mentiong players who have already shown that they can get the job done on a regular basis before you start mentioning someone who has the potential to get the job done. Oh, I also think you are forgetting two more players on your list, Bayside's Ryan Davis and John Deschamps should have strong seasons next year for the marlins. Ryan is a guy with a lot of junk as well as a suprising fastball which can hit the low 90's at times. John is a savy left hander who's fastball is far from over powering but tends to mess batters up because it looks a lot slower out of the hand than it actually is, he also has a big curve ball complimented by a decent slider,both of which he throws for strikes. There is a lot of talent over at Bayside and I think it's about time people start giving the team as well as the coaching staff the respect they deserve. Bayside showed everyone how good they are during the district tournament and I think now everyone will realize that Bayside is a force to be reckon with. Good luck next year Marlins!
Last edited by Baseball Lover
I do not mean to state this in an attempt to put down players, but there simply are not that many, if any, D1 players in the beach next year. I have heard many people state that this is the weakest beach district that us fans have seen in years. The kids all work very hard, but the big time talent seems to be in other districts. So listing all of these names is great, but it is hard to see many of them being worthy of D1 status.
quote:
Originally posted by Baseball Lover:
Hey Stoney, I find it very funny that you would mention will armistead for bayside, whom i might add played a total of about 5 games this year, before you would mention their centerfielder zaine jack. According to the paper he finished the year batting .421 and was practically defensively sound throughout the whole year, comitting only 1 error. He was also very strong at the plate during Bayside's tourney run going 4 for 8 with a pair of singles, a double, and a triple, as well as comitting no errors. Don't get me wrong, I have seen Will play and he is very good, but you should try mentiong players who have already shown that they can get the job done on a regular basis before you start mentioning someone who has the potential to get the job done. Oh, I also think you are forgetting two more players on your list, Bayside's Ryan Davis and John Deschamps should have strong seasons next year for the marlins. Ryan is a guy with a lot of junk as well as a suprising fastball which can hit the low 90's at times. John is a savy left hander who's fastball is far from over powering but tends to mess batters up because it looks a lot slower out of the hand than it actually is, he also has a big curve ball complimented by a decent slider,both of which he throws for strikes. There is a lot of talent over at Bayside and I think it's about time people start giving the team as well as the coaching staff the respect they deserve. Bayside showed everyone how good they are during the district tournament and I think now everyone will realize that Bayside is a force to be reckon with. Good luck next year Marlins!

oh and Davis was throwing 79-80 during the beach district final...kind of a far cry from 90 Cool
quote:
Originally posted by beachbaseballguy:
I do not mean to state this in an attempt to put down players, but there simply are not that many, if any, D1 players in the beach next year. I have heard many people state that this is the weakest beach district that us fans have seen in years. The kids all work very hard, but the big time talent seems to be in other districts. So listing all of these names is great, but it is hard to see many of them being worthy of D1 status.

Yogi was right, this is like deja vu all over again. The same thing was said about the beach two years ago, and look what PA did. And now already this year, the Beach has ousted the SE district. I'm probably jinxing Cox and Kempsville, but watch out.
I am very excited about what the Beach district did last night. Before I make statements like I previously did, I need to remember one thing. A weak Beach district is still better than the so called strong SE.
I did a little homework and came up with these numbers as a way to evaluate the two districts as a whole. Over the last 3 years 5 of the 11 Beach teams have made the regionals, compared to only 3 of the 9 SE teams. It has long been said that the SE is only a 4 team league, it seems to me that it is Great Bridge and guest that get invited to ODU every year. At the same time the Beach has shown its depth and had nearly half of its district find their way to ODU.
Once in the regionals, after last night, the Beach teams are 8-2 in games in which they do not play each other. The SE is 3-6 during the same time span. The Beach has also as grasscutter pointed out won a state title, and had another team in the state semis back to back.

So I do regret stating publicly that the Beach is weak this year, because as we have seen a weak Beach is still a powerful district.
Here is a list of all players listed so far on this thread.

While I may have missed a few in getting these players into one comprehensive list, the list provides a look at the rising seniors that'll be reckoned with next year.

Enjoy.

Garret Anderson, FC
Wil Armistead, Bayside
Aaron Atkinson, Caroline
Hunter Bacot The Miller School
Byron Barber, Kempsville
Jesse Beal, South County
Jack Bergsman, Yorktown
Brett Bowers, Paul VI
Micky Bozek-Centerville
Marcus Breeden, Maury
Dan Brion- salem
Reed Bromley, inf/P, PVI
Jeremy Brown Culpeper
Jim Buckley, Lake Braddock
Taylor Buran Benedictine
Pat Callahan (OF, Granby)
Phillip Clark (MIF, Norfolk Collegiate)
Ryan Crosby Notre Dame
Matt Davenport (RHP, Nansemond Suffolk)
Andrew Deal LC Bird
Collin Flaherty-Madison
Max Fishetti- fc
Eddie Gonzalez, Langley
Jimmy Grassano,Salem
Chris Hardee, Manchester
Will Hudgins, Freeman
Matt Irwin, Stone Bridge
Jessie Jeter, Madison
Chris Johnson, Green Run
Zach Jung Collegiate
Jacob Karr, LC Bird
Joshua Karr, L.C. Bird
Von Kaufman, Greenbrier Christian
Max Langford, RHP, Chantilly
Frankie Lewis, OL
Kyle Long STAB
Jake Lowery, Cosby
Conner Madden, inf, Oakton
Ryan Mallory, Midlothian
Daniel Marrs (James River)
Brooks Martin, Deep Run
Charlie McCann St. Christopher's
Adam McConnell Tabb
Tim McCormack, OF, PVI
Brent Mikionis, Powhatan
Bret Mitchell, Greenbrier Christian
Jacob Morley, Woodson
Keith Morrisroe, C, Chantilly
Matt Murakami, inf, PVI
Robbie Newman-salem
Karter Rivera, Maury
Alfredo Rodriguez Jr Oakton
George Schaefer (RHP, Bishop Sullivan)
Ronnie Shaban, Cosby
Kevin Sias, Midlothian
Matt Snyder-Westfield
Mike Snyder-Westfield
Dustin Sollars, Cosby
Chris Somers, Chantilly
Pat Somers, LHP, Chantilly
Austin Stadler (James River)
Michael Stancik Stone Bridge
Casey Sutton-Centreville
Ben Tomchick, PA
Bris Tison-Madison
Ben Tomchick- pa
Angel Vega, Oscar Smith
Peter Verdin, Paul VI
Kevin Wager, Oakton
Jordan Walton, Lee-Davis
Gary Ward (LHP, Hickory)
Chris Warren -bayside
Keith Werman, Oakton
Michael Wiley- bayside
Drew Wilkinson, Cox
Bret Williams, Oakton Chase Worthington (Atlee)
Chris Yates, RHP, Chantilly
Last edited by doctorbuzzy
Junior @ GB 2005/2006 school yr. Transfered to GCA 2006/2007 school yr as a junior. Will graduate at GCA 2007/2008 school yr. Virginia private schools allow 10 semesters of high school to graduate and still remain eligible for athletics as long as the student doesn't turn 19 before 1 August going into their senior yr. This is not uncommon for private schools to get "5th yr" players transfer in. Most repeat their freshman or sophomore yrs instead of junior yr like Von.
Link copied to your clipboard.